News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Modular Mod Tool Bar Spaces

Started by Necora, February 12, 2017, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: Necora on February 18, 2017, 09:00:25 AM
Any mod using the common toolbar will show red in the mod list because they all have the same core common toolbar files, even though those files are identical. So it is no issue if they show red.

thats something Luke did very very bad. the common sense would have been to put a check : if the files have the exact same Hachtags then it should flag those files as non-conflicting.
that would have been intelligent.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kralyerg

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 18, 2017, 09:04:33 AM
thats something Luke did very very bad. the common sense would have been to put a check : if the files have the exact same Hachtags then it should flag those files as non-conflicting.
that would have been intelligent.

I would also have been nice if Luke would have made it clear from the beginning that just because mods turn red, it's not actually necessarily a bad thing.

In the case of the mods sharing a toolbar, it's actually a *good* thing that they're turning red, since they're sharing code.

But yes, a more comprehensive conflict check would be great.

RedKetchup

Quote from: kralyerg on February 18, 2017, 11:11:39 AM

In the case of the mods sharing a toolbar, it's actually a *good* thing that they're turning red, since they're sharing code.

But yes, a more comprehensive conflict check would be great.

should turn GREEN lol imo ^^

Hawk

Thanks for the explanation folks.  :)

I just thought it was strange that everyone of them was red. I've seen that with other mods before and knew it wasn't necessarily a problem but this is the first time I saw that with all of them.  ::)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Paeng

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 18, 2017, 06:06:29 AMHow it look ? what you think about it?

I spent some time with it today with the available sets (RK, DS, NEC)... ( http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=652.msg28792#msg28792 )

Took me a little while to get used to it, since I had to re-arrange my UI-layout a bit... but once that was settled and I slowly became familiar with the new icon positions, I really started enjoying it.

For me, this new system is a HUGE improvement...
* And that I'm a big fan of the modular approach is no secret anyway...  :)

Now off to see if there are already new sets...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on February 18, 2017, 12:58:18 PM
Took me a little while to get used to it, since I had to re-arrange my UI-layout a bit... but once that was settled and I slowly became familiar with the new icon positions, I really started enjoying it.

Now off to see if there are already new sets...  ;)

sweet ! GLAD to hear we have A FAN :) ^^

sorry i am a but more slower today :P
yesterday night i ve got to "write" all the "This building contains" in every mods i did so far which pissed me off so much, after that ... i only watched a couple of movies... and did nothing ^^

today i am back to city roads to do the diagonals and general fixes through all the pieces. i did all the 3x3 - both textures.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 18, 2017, 11:46:57 AM
should turn GREEN lol imo ^^

Why not. Actually it's just annoying. It scares players and we always have to explain. I think it would be the best to remove the red warnings. The yellow marks in the file list give enough info for possible conflicts. Or replacing by a discreet color.

RedKetchup

an Hachtags subroutine should resolve all these little "red warning" and seperate the real changes made to a file than just a pure perfect copy.

Abandoned

Thanks @brads3 and @Hawk for suggestions but now after reading about red warnings am even more unsure about updating game.  There will be 2 or 3 times more mods to put in the game and arrange and go through to pick which ones to use on a map.  If they all show red conflict warnings then each one would have to be checked as to why.  Sounds like fun  :(  Guess I will just miss out on new stuff but I have plenty of really great mods already.  :)

elemental

Quote from: Paeng on February 18, 2017, 12:58:18 PM

I haven't started using this new system yet but it has to be a huge improvement. Clean and tidy menus and each modder can have his or her own space for all their mods.

Before this came along the vanilla menus were starting to get crowded with bits and pieces here and there. Now they can all have a proper home. And if all the mod material gets removed from the vanilla menus then we'll really be able to see just how little content there is in the vanilla game, and it will really make it obvious just how much great stuff the modders have given us.  :)

Hawk

Quote from: Abandoned on February 18, 2017, 01:59:20 PM
Thanks @brads3 and @Hawk for suggestions but now after reading about red warnings am even more unsure about updating game.  There will be 2 or 3 times more mods to put in the game and arrange and go through to pick which ones to use on a map.  If they all show red conflict warnings then each one would have to be checked as to why.  Sounds like fun  :(  Guess I will just miss out on new stuff but I have plenty of really great mods already.  :)

I agree that all the mods causing the list to show red can be a little confusing or even frustrating but in my experience most of the time there actually is no conflict between mods, except for the terrain start and difficulty start mods, and a couple here and there that change certain aspects of production, etc., but it's not the modders fault, and it would be nice if Luke could fix this.

That said, it certainly isn't going to steer me away from the updates.  :)
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

brads3

ABANDONED,you could just upggrade to the 1.07 and leave the old mods alone just keep playing as you are. as new mods come out that you want to try add them .the old mods will work ,they just won't be listed under the community icon.
  mod orders can be a pain sometimes. but usually when it happens you know what mod you just added.way i do mod order is anything that affects the game start and play goes to the top. then mods that change functions of a building like the bakery plus or blacksmith tool add on. then the buildings,etc. in your case from what i have seen most of the mods you use should not have a problem with each other. unless you are using a particular bakey or other building with a big mod like CC or NMT,they shouldn't have problems. the other thing you can do is when you load a new mod ,activate it and then open the small icon and check the conflicts. if it shows just a couple lines affected those are the icon codes.

QueryEverything

If I may ...  what I now find frustrating (and I direct this at no one person in particular, this is a general gripe) that there have been players for months that have voiced concern / complained, that there are excellent mods, but that they are too big for their systems to run, or too big for download, or that there are just XYZ problem with that.

We are now in a position where the artists, mods, devs, are able to break their mods up into smaller parts and NOT clatter the toolbar, that they are able to now modularise their work so that they mods aren't too big, that players are now able to pick and choose nearly exactly what they want to install, and that the players can the very best of both worlds, and so too the devs.
1)  clutter free toolbar, everything has a nice organised feel to it
2)  no 'bloatware', or specifically, mods which can be choosen as to (nearly) exactly what you want overall.  Don't want ABC building, that's ok, it's no longer part of a 30mb file, easy to download and install
3)  updates from pre-beta, beta & gold release can be done faster, more effectively, and perhaps more people will be able to participate in betas with modders because it's a quick file update, rather than at the current time 4/5/6 sub-mods are all in 1 package which makes it hard for both modders (creating the update, releasing the update, loading the update), and then of course us who want 'fast' updates, we have to go through the lengthy process of downloading, rewriting, deleting, blah ...
4)  Effective use of game space, and game play - yes, our systems will run quicker (some of the time it won't we can't help that, everyone has a different spec system, and modders shouldn't be expected to work to all game specs), the smaller files, whilst more numerous, means faster game load time to the system.  Most game devs will tell you that faster dedicated files are better than 1 singular bloat.

Look, I get that the red warnings are difficult somedays, I also get the (slight, but not for me) frustration of so many files, but, honestly, the red warnings are generally harmless, some mods may be listed in a particular order, for the most part the easiest part of this exercise is that any new 107 files should be placed ABOVE MM & CC mods.  Storage boosters, should be placed near the very top, anything that changes behaviour, should also be at the top.  buildings, for the most part should be above MM & CC, except where stated, and the devs at BL (MM & CC) make this VERY clear on their downloads.

It won't take long to figure load order when remembering some of the game dynamics.

This new endeavour should be embraced, whilst it's daunting to some, overall these new findings and ways of building the mods will only benefit the community in the long run, and I am thrilled to see how this all started out (I was in the conversation/thread when @Necora had his triumphant find) and all I can see for all of this is a happier community as a whole.

Guys (& gals) who are concerned, give this a couple of days, let things start to balance out, let the mods get circulating and as bugs etc are picked up and reported the modders will endeavour to fix them and we will all (all of us) will figure things out as we go along and post tips & tricks.

Let's embrace this, and enjoy.

Cheers.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Paeng

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 18, 2017, 01:15:18 PMI think it would be the best to remove the red warnings.

Well, Shockpuppet suggested this at some point, but mostly with mixed reactions... UI changes quickly raise sh*t-storms...  ;)

And one thing remained - how to mark items that DO conflict...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

very good post @QueryEverything  :) very good post.

i just passed OVER 8 HOURS to try to make a little update to City Roads ! 8 hours!
who in the world would want to pass 8 hours of their life for me ??? for a little unsignifiant file, for a person who you dont even know in real life ?

i feel there will be some "me ! , me ! me!... " after this post but easy to say ! and do it for real in real life you would really do ? not sure

all the time Nec, Kid, Dis, Tom, Kral, Shock ... they took in their life... they are doing it for free for everyone ! i know very well we cannot please everyone.
we are doing our BEST !

I LOVE YOU guys and Girls :)

out of that ... bah posting City Roads now with diagonals roads :)