News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Megamod running slow and jerky..

Started by Jewels8, March 05, 2018, 07:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jewels8

If anyone can assist here would be immensely appreciated, I have the latest megamod running and even the one previous similar problem, doesn't matter which map size, be it a small or large map the game is running slow frame rate and very jerky. My laptop is not very old, a few years and have a reasonably good graphics NVidia card and my OS is Windows 10, I have played Banished since it came out and have had every single expansion that came out and have enjoyed my years playing, its all I mainly play besides a dabble here and there in other city building games, Not many other games hold my attention anything like Banished..I am not sure what is the problem..why the game is so jerky even on a new start with very little on the map, I remember playing maps with about 1000 population and wasn't too much of a problem, I would just run it at 2x or 5x but now even at 1x speed its just so slow and jerky! also while I am playing the windows its like it minimises or something like that and the screen goes to the page where you save your game..it is so weird and frustrating playing the game with these problems. I will never stop playing modded Banished, Vanilla I only played for a very short time, there really isn't much to it. To all the wonderful people that have made mods for this game and who might be reading this, Thank you ever so much! This game has been the only thing that has my undivided attention and is a total joy to play and saved me from the mundane an possible insanity of life's challenges.
So if anyone has any idea what could be the problem I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this rather long post. :)

brads3

i don't use the MM. rather have the control of adding mods and adjusting the mod order. this can change how they interact,though over time many bugs have been solved to the MM.  i would turn off auto saves.under those options you can make many adjustments that might help.i would disable the pause when not focused.you can also try chaning from direct X11 to X9.then if it is still slow try changing other settings.
      can you explain "jerky"? do you mean the bannies are starting to skit instead of walk smoothly? do you have the nat div upgraded version? any other mods besides the CC mega? i take it you turned off any programs you aren't using already. do you have enough RAM?
     i can tell you that with the auto pause when not focused helps a lot. i can minimize this 1 and it will run faster than when on screen.you have to plan ahead.

Nilla

I´ve only used the mega mod once, like @brads3, I prefere to chose the mods "one by one". My suggestion is to "clean" the files. Throw out all you don´t need, maybe reinstall Banished. If it still work too slow, load the mods separate.

galensgranny

I don't have MegaMod, but I have a great many mods added, and recently a very large mod RedKetchup made, called Editor's Choice.  It is a large file size.  With all of those mods, my game runs slow.  10 speed is more like 5 speed or slower compared to the basic game.  I have also noticed some "jerkiness", such as the game stops for a very brief moment, even the image seeming to slightly "tremble", and this is not when the game is doing an autosave. 

I think in my case at least, that for my computer, there might be too much being asked of it, especially the memory, for it run as smoothly as when there are hardly any mods added.

I also had about four times when the game suddenly went to save game page.  I think it does that when some background program is doing something, such as looking for updates on the web.  Window operating systems seems to frequently have updates, so maybe it searches a lot to see if there are any that day.

RedKetchup

i hope there is some performance improvements with last build of RKed Beta10. i suggest to start a new game and see if any difference
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Jewels8

Thank you kindly to all who replied to my post ;) I am a true newbie here so I don't  know how to reply to each individual post but I will post here, to Brad3..I used to have all my mods individually prior to Megamod8 and found it way too long a list as I am a true mod junkie ;D and I had it all working reasonably well and what seemed to be the correct order of mods..I followed the instructions of what mod order according to I am not sure who.. posted this order, I do remember it had to do something todo with Necoras mods what I recall, anyways so when MegaMod8 was released I thought to install and have a reasonably clean looking mods list and just a few additions such as Nat Div, original music, increased stockpiles, a few more that I just can't recall offhand right now and they all functioned great with MegaMod 07 unfortunately the latest news is...
Overnight my laptop pooped itself, it had been playing up a few weeks and could possibly be the reason I had problems in the first place with it being slow and jerky..so currently it is at repair at the moment and I think they are wiping my computer clean and I will have to reinstall all my programs and the game when I get it back, I purchased it at steam even though I did not run the game from steam in offline mode only. I have 4M ram and it seemed fine prior to Megamod8, with regard to your suggestions. I had already disabled the autosaves a while back, I did run it on Direct x9 and x11 same thing, I turned down the resolutions in game play, I haven't tried changing the settings on autopause but I will give it a go..Thanks Brad ;)

In reply to Nilla, looks like I have no other choice now, but to re-install! Thanks for your suggestions :)

In reply to Gallensgranny, I seem to have had exactly what you have mentioned with RedKetchup Editors choice..the things is I didn't have it occur when I had MegaMod 07 and accompanying compatability mod and deco etc..sure it would run slow when I got to a pop of 800 to a 1000, I believe it really did have to do with a virus I had on my laptop which crashed my computer after I made this post for help last night. I totally agree with you regarding background programs doing something and Windows10!.. honestly I think it will never grow on me..despise it!! Good ol days of windows 3.11 and its ascendants up until Windows 8 ::) Thank you for your input Galensgranny  :)

To Redketchup will more than likely try out the Editors choice Beta10 when it is released, atm just waiting on the return of my pc from repair and hopefully I don't have issues installing Banished from scratch!

Thanks again to you all for sharing your experiences and your suggestions, so muchly appreciated! :) Cheers! ;D

brads3

not sure of the size of the MM,but you probably are pushing the RAM. any updates will slow it down then.if it is at the shop ask them to add 2GB or so to it. 1 thing to help in the future is a flash drive. nice handy backup to the whole game including the mods.do you play and are online at the same time? if not, i would disconnect the internet when running the game. then those updates can't download.
    when you get yours back send that guy here.mine retired. i have 2 comps that need help.

Jewels8

Great idea to have them install extra ram, will do that Thanks Brad3, I am mostly always connected to the net but yeah disconnecting while playing seems a good idea! I really think and hope once the pc is cleaned up there won't be an issue and with the extra ram it'll be cruisy! MM is huge but I wouldn't say more memory hungry than all the mods I had individually anyway! Yeah I have and old desktop that is ancient and another two laptops one is working with my beloved windows 7, it just doesn't have enough muscle to tackle memory hungry games but great otherwise!

RedKetchup

keep in mind if you use a 32bits windows you wont get any benefits of more ram (the max is 3.25GB), you need to have a 64bits windows to benefit high memory.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Jewels8

Yeah my laptop has 64bit and 32bit both, hopefully get it back today and will have re-install the game from scratch at steam coz thats where I purchased it, Wondering do I subscribe again to CC Journey 1.75 as that would be the latest or do I just install MM8 independant of steam..what I mean is will I need anything else besides the base game? really not sure, anyhow Thanks Redketchup!

galensgranny

It is not necessary to subscribe to mods through Steam, even if one purchased the game through them.  One can add them directly to one's Windata folder for Banished.  That's what I do.  I find it better to just go to the website that has the mods to download them.  For some mods, one can be sure to get the latest version, and also, many mods aren't on Steam.

Jewels8

So I will just install Vanilla Banished from Steam, yeah I know steam does not have all the mods, besides from when the game was first released and the early days, I always went to CC BlackLiquid and WOB for the mods, honestly where would we be without the totally Awesome modders and the community here and at BlackLiquid :) the best place to be for sharing of experiences and such a supportive network for all who are passionate about Banished! Thanks Galensgranny! looking forward to a fresh start..  :)

Jewels8

Got my laptop back from repair, they didn't have to wipe it clean afterall, so I did not need to install the game from scratch, the pc was cleaned of some nasty adware virus but when I got it home, it happened again! Turns out the modem router was infected so that had to be reset and sofar so good! BeAware peeps your whole network can be so easily hijacked and you not even realizing what really is happening on! :(  Anyway Banished is running normal, not skipping and not slow at all..I suspect it will in the late game but thats all good..nows I'm a happy girl! :)

Paegin

My laptop is about 5 yrs old. Running Windows 10. I can't even get mega mod to work!! I took out all the mods, just have the 3 files for the latest mega mod, and after I activate them, and get out of the game, and start it again, it's like it's trying to load, but never does. I tried twice. Just a black screen with my curser, which is able to move around...for 10 mins!!! I gave up, uninstalled the mod, and just put my other mods back in so I can play. So, I can't even get it to load!! And yes, I de-fragged and used a cleaner to clean up files and such. I have over 3 gigs of memory left on my harddrive, and 336 gigs of spac. No problem playing CC, or the North.

Not really looking for help, just venting I guess. I could be content with CC and the North. You just lucky you can load it at all!!  :)

Jewels8

My laptop is 4yrs old, 8mg ram, hardly any space left on my hardrive..gotta do some cleaning up I think! The waiting 10 mins and black screen does happen for me too, I just let it take its time it eventually loads with happy music ;D  I used to have MM07 and the other files Deco and compatability mod, and maybe 100 other mods..hehe! It worked fine, until a few weeks ago when I installed the MM8 and again more mods because I couldn't find that they were included in the MM8, but about that time the Adware virus found its way into my network and I thought that it was the size of the MM8, due to the problems I had with skipping,jerky slow movement. It was not so, I thought it was strange because I used to have almost all the mods that MM8 has but individually and was one really huge list, so I was happy to install MM8 so I don't have to look at that humongous list again ;D So today got me laptop back,  I have played a few hours and everything is OK! Everything was OK before that Damn virus..anyway its gone now!!

I have taken a few screenshots of the mods so you can see what I have loaded and in what order that works just fine!