News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The weather

Started by kee, March 26, 2015, 01:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kee

Just realised we don't have a weather thread! What gives?
So this is the thread to blow the breeze on the universal smalltalk subject.
Remember I declared spring in an other thread? Well...
Kim Erik

Nilla

It looks almost like that, when I look outside my window too. Snow! Really big flakes. And they are not coming from above but from the east (heavy wind ) :(  I suppose Sweden and Norway have the same "macro wheather"

salamander

We had snow on the first day of spring.  I figure Mother Nature likes to remind us who's really in charge from time to time.

rkelly17

When I lived in Southern California no one talked about the weather. I mean, what was the point? It was always the same. My wife and I can still recite the typical radio weather report. "Late night and early morning fog and low clouds along the coast . . . ."

Now that I live in Southern Ontario everybody talks about the weather all the time. It can change on a dime. I once drove half way around the perimeter of Kitchener-Waterloo and went from rain to sun four times in 15 minutes. Yesterday we were supposed to get an hour or so of freezing rain (which coats everything with ice--in my mind the worst of all possibilities), but it never came, just a hour or two of cold rain followed by fog. Today it could either rain or snow--or both. I'd say about 80% of the snow in the front yard has melted, less in the back yard. But I have hope. I'm getting my Winter tires taken off next week.

RedKetchup

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 26, 2015, 06:18:03 AM
When I lived in Southern California . . . . Now that I live in Southern Ontario

thats the part i will never understand ^^  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

K-W has the problem of being more or less land locked among the Great Lakes.  You get the weather we don't here next to Lake Huron.  At the moment it is 3 degrees outside, with a low tomorrow of -5 according to the weather network.  Overcast all day, and yesterday there was freezing rain around Georgian Bay, but it only rained here in Hensall.

Typical end of March weather, and I am expecting a really nasty equinoctal gale to close out the month.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

chillzz

I'll trade this cold to the bone rainy windy north sea weather for real Ontario weather (snow in winter, warm in summer) or cali weather all year any day!

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

A Nonny Moose

North Sea?  Eastern Scotland, the Orkney Islands, Denmark, other? 

What would you ever to if there was a Heinrich event that turned the Gulf Stream into a circular current in the Caribbean?

chillzz

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on March 26, 2015, 09:47:27 PM
North Sea?  Eastern Scotland, the Orkney Islands, Denmark, other? 
Other : The Netherlands
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on March 26, 2015, 09:47:27 PM
What would you ever to if there was a Heinrich event that turned the Gulf Stream into a circular current in the Caribbean?
Probably be dead by then.. else i would move from the fridge to better climate ;)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

A Nonny Moose

Outside right now it is sunny but -11.  High today forecast at -3.  We are having an end of March cold snap.

Rayden

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on March 28, 2015, 05:26:07 AM
Outside right now it is sunny but -11.  High today forecast at -3.  We are having an end of March cold snap.

Nearly +30ºC around here today, summer's on its way :P

Nilla

+30ºC, that's too hot for me. I am pretty content with the weather here today. We made our first picnic by the lake for the season. Nice spring wheather about +8 ºC, but no wind, and that's important here in the spring.

When the wind blows in spring it's always cold, influenced by two lakes. In the west the big Vänern 5 km away (I know, compared to the big North American lakes it's tiny, but the largest in Europe outside Russia) in the south and east we have the smaller Skagern but we're only 150 meters away, so it has a big impact on the micro climate here. It's only in the north we have no lake but the north wind....... generally not warm.

RedKetchup

personally i would accept a 30C all years long :) 365 days per year ^^

so it is funny (and not cause i m stuck with the -30C lol)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

A Nonny Moose

30 degrees year around would get very boring.  However, that kind of climate would soon acclimate everyone and people wouldn't notice the temperature unless it changed.  The big factor would be the relative humidity.

According to the current forecast, we should get 11 degrees, overcast and rainy on April 2nd.  "Though April showers ... May come your way ...".  And then the May tricks.  Around here I've seen ice storms in May.

Anyway, the frost is out of the ground now, so the snow melt is going straight down instead of running off in a flood.  We had a lot of snow, so it may be too wet to plant at the usual time.  I was on a trip to the Huron county dump yesterday getting rid of my old printer and scanner along with some other stuff.  We took a long run down one of the country roads, and the fields are not looking too bad.

Anyway, the robins are back from hibernation and the jays are making their usual ruckus, so it must be spring.  There is a pair of cardinals nesting in one of the pine trees on the street.  The male is utterly glorious.

salamander

We've had robins back in the area for a couple of weeks, now; but, as usual, they look sort of disgusted that maybe they came back too early.