News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Infamous Curved Roads... Possible assistance idea

Started by theonlywanderer, November 17, 2018, 11:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonlywanderer

That's it man... you absolutely nailed it!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million...  this will be fun to tinker with.    I'll post up a few results when I get a chance.

Thanks for your patience on ironing it out...  sure wish I understand all this mod stuff.   I looked at one time and was just completely lost.   Which is odd because I do programming in AutoLISP inside AutoCAD and I'm quite good at it.   But this stuff just can't get my mind around.

kid1293

Thanks. A little exercise for the brain :)

There is one thing with grid. I can not (tried multiple times) make it slope conforming.
If I add a decal it takes priority over building a road. So it is impossible.

theonlywanderer

Yeah, the grid can disappear at times when the land isn't flat, but that's not a problem at all....  the radius still shows and those few spots without the grid can easily have the road placed.

Overall though, it's a done deal and works great!!   Some people might be good at doing curved roads by sight without help, but I struggled every time and took too long so I gave up.    This makes it a breeze!!

theonlywanderer

kid1293

Hey, you did it!

I guess I have to look at what I have done  ;D It might be useful  ;)

TheOtherMicheal

This was a wonderful idea  :)
Thanks to everyone involved in discovering it, testing it and making a mod for it.
It's a great example of the creativity and talent of the people on this forum.
It's made me curious to experiment with how I can make a town look better and so after a short absence from Banished I now want to start playing it again on a new map.  8)

theonlywanderer

Hey Kid...   hit my first snag...    can't place the flag anywhere something else is already built... bldg, stockpile, crop field.

I guess the flag needs to be ghosted to do that?

kid1293

Exactly. I tried to make it ghosted, as I wrote. No luck. The circle is not the same when
hoovering with flag as opposed to having placed the flag. You don't get the right position.
It has nothing do to with flag, that one I can move. The circle is made by game engine
and it was never meant to be ghosted.

Only solution is to make flag ghosted and learn that the circle is off (+1right +1up)

kid1293

Hang in there @theonlywanderer - I will try a different approach.
Takes time though...

theonlywanderer

Hey, no problem and no rush whatsoever!!

The actual location of where the flag is relative to the circle is of no concern at all because the radius for where the road will be can be lined up either way.    As long as the flag can be put anywhere on the map including crops, stock piles, buildings, water...  we're good.

kid1293

:) Sometimes I like the rush. Not always, though.

Here is a new test version. Same as before PLUS a ghosted handmade 3-42 circle.
You notice red flag in storage yard.

Check it out.

theonlywanderer

Thanks for the quick update!, awesome!!   I knew you could do it.     

I'm sure a lot of people will put this to good use!

I don't know what "handmade" means, but it sounds more involved.  Everything looks and works great.

kid1293

I had to draw each circle, put them on planes, make them ghosted and add a flag to each.
The sizing and positioning of the circles on textures felt very much like handicraft.

To remove you better click the flag. The planes are all on the same level. If you have
several circles you can not always click the one you want.

Later I can make red circles a bit thinner. Not a high priority.

Now you have two ways to add a circle. They should complement each other.

theonlywanderer

Clicking the flag isn't a problem, that's fine.   The red circle is also fine, no need to redo, consider it done.

Yes, both options are great to have.   The ghosted will most often be needed in areas that are already flat so the circle being on the ground plane is just fine.    Having the original version also works great because it can handle areas that aren't fully flat yet.  Between the two options, something is going to work.

kid1293

:) Then I move on.
I enjoyed this, an odd request.