News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A poor decision

Started by michaelrym, October 11, 2014, 09:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

oh god it reminds me the famous WAI from Blizzard.com ^^ Working as intended. ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Pangaea

Quote from: irrelevant on October 12, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
I think that when a laborer reaches the top of the "available" queue, he is matched up with the project at the top of the "task" queue. The task includes what is being picked up, where it is now, and where it is to be taken to. So when a pile of freshly-harvested logs or stone shows up lying on the ground, it already has baked into it what stockpile it is going to. If you build a stockpile after that, makes no difference.

Of course I have no proof for this, but it would explain the maddening laborer behavior that we all have seen, over and over.

This is my experience too. If you are to build a new building out in the sticks, put down the stockpile FIRST, then the building. However, make sure the stockpile you put down is in the clear, so it's instantly created without labourers having to clear trees, undergrowth or ores. Then they will usually use the temporary stockpile without problems.

I get annoyed at times at labourers on clearing tasks far away coming and going with next to no work, hacking up a rock and going back with nothing in their hands, or maybe 2 iron/stone. Would be great if they had slightly better concentration levels so they could "see" the next pile of (sometimes already cleared) stone/iron two feet away and carry that back home as well.

Am sure something could be worked on here in the hardcoded AI, but as mentioned, there is a balancing act. Often there is cold, they get cold out on such tasks, and keep hacking up stones to carry back 9 instead of 2, and some may die. So where do we draw the line? I certainly prefer to have workers going back and forth, being inefficient, instead of dying because they took too long to collect stuff while out in the wildlands. We could also take the realism aspect into account, to excuse current behaviour. Would you really be capable of walking off into the nothingness, then carry back 100 kg of whatever for another 1 month back?

slink

I agree with @irrelevant and @Pangaea.  They have their path set when they take on the task.  You could circumvent that by marking the ill-advised final target for demolition, but then they would simply drop what they were carrying and return to civilization.  Another one would take on the task, possibly with a better final target.  Or possibly not.

Nilla

Quote from: michaelrym on October 12, 2014, 10:28:48 AM

@ salamander: Sorry, I should have made that clear. It's a good acronym - note the pejorative connotation that's appropriate for the feeling one has when encountering one of those things in a game.

Please remember, for some of us, English is our second or (in my case) our third language, and more than 2 not understandable word in one sentence ought to be forbidden! ;) In this case it might be excused, being directed to a special (I hope ) good English-speaking person.

Now to what i wanted to say. 

I have noticed that the labourers are much more relable, doing mainly what you told them to do (except for some "getting something to eat", visiting the herbalist", idling......... - stuff  :-\) if you do not have "too many balls in the air at the same time". If I play with a slow speed (I normally switch between 2X and 5X) I have too many ideas, giving too many commissions away, forgetting that the tasks will be completed one by one in the order I ordered the things to be done. And I often really do not know, what my labourers (and builders) are doing.

So my advice is, eather play in a faster speed (there is not so much time to give too many commissions away) or play really slow; let one thing be finished before the next is ordered.

Pangaea

A tangent here, but it's interesting that we have so different play styles as well as building styles. For example, I too play at 2x (not 5x though, unless I'm testing something with a new game, where I can go to 25x and 50x too), but apart from building sprees, I rarely have all that much going on. Think it's fun to just watch the town and the people going about their business, check out the Town Hall for statistics, inventory and so forth, see if anything is amiss, such as the food situation (graphs!), and then skim around the edges of town to plan what to do there. But in general I like 'slow' games and play them slow and meticulously. Probably not many people who like to play Settlers 2 on 1x and watch a forester hack down a tree, carry it home, and then watch that tree being carried from 'flag' to 'flag'  ;D ;D

A Nonny Moose

in reference to all the acronyms that infest this computing world of ours, I am starting a new association called Delete Acronyms Now (or DAN for short).
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Pangaea

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 12, 2014, 03:35:15 PM
in reference to all the acronyms that infest this computing world of ours, I am starting a new association called Delete Acronyms Now (or DAN for short).

;D ;D

I recall having a bit of a crusade against the overuse of acronyms on CivFanatics. As a new player, it was nigh on impossible to understand what people were writing about, made even more confusing by the same acronym sometimes having different meanings. One example, GA could mean Golden Age and Great Artist. "I used a GA to start a GA" was not uncommon >:(

Mahnogard

Quote from: Pangaea on October 12, 2014, 05:30:19 PM
I recall having a bit of a crusade against the overuse of acronyms on CivFanatics. As a new player, it was nigh on impossible to understand what people were writing about, made even more confusing by the same acronym sometimes having different meanings. One example, GA could mean Golden Age and Great Artist. "I used a GA to start a GA" was not uncommon >:(

You too, eh? I'm not a new player - been playing Civ games since just before IV came out - and I still have trouble deciphering some threads over there.

I'm not a fan of any but the most obvious acronyms. Because I dislike them, they don't "stick" and so I tend to forget what they mean after a short time. Then different acronyms for different games, not to mention the other areas of my life... I google acronyms frequently.

RedKetchup

i think i cant start to use the GA lol

Great Artist !!!!!!! Hell yeah !

irrelevant

Quote from: Mahnogard on October 12, 2014, 05:43:56 PM
I google acronyms frequently.

That's the only way I ever know what anyone is talking about.

michaelrym

@ Nilla

English is my second language, too. Come on, it's not that hard to Google an unknown word. Improves your vocabulary and so on.

To return to the labourers: I watched a guy carry fish from a fishing dock to storage. One case at a time. On trip number five or six, he broke the mold by actually gathering up four cases. He was so proud of this achievement that he took a break by taking a month-long stroll through the woods to chop up a single tree (and leave the logs there, of course). Then he returned to the fishing dock and made another half a dozen trips to storage, carrying a single case of fish every time.

It's a pity the little people can't talk. I'd have liked to talk to this labourer, I suspect he would have had me in stitches.

RedKetchup

something i missed from the Ceasar's series... the citizens were telling you their moods, i think today it was awesome.

Pangaea

It saddens me that "google" has become a verb :( Don't people know how they operate, nor care about privacy?

Quote from: Mahnogard on October 12, 2014, 05:43:56 PM
Quote from: Pangaea on October 12, 2014, 05:30:19 PM

You too, eh? I'm not a new player - been playing Civ games since just before IV came out - and I still have trouble deciphering some threads over there.

I'm not a fan of any but the most obvious acronyms. Because I dislike them, they don't "stick" and so I tend to forget what they mean after a short time. Then different acronyms for different games, not to mention the other areas of my life... I google acronyms frequently.

Even after a very long time there, it was sometimes difficult to understand what people were talking about. I got really into Civ 4, read most of the guides, tons of threads, even played competitively for a little while, but after months and months of playing the game, reading the forum daily, it was still hard to know what people were on about  at times, and I compared it with reading declassified military documents. Some would even use acronyms for stuff like river-side farms and stuff like that. Guess they saved about two seconds writing that post, and in return people who weren't inbred in the forum for years on end would go WTF?

Would drive me up the wall at times :D

It's a great game, though, and I'm sure I'll go back to playing it one day. Civ 5 can take a running jump off a cliff for all I care, but I loved Civ 4  8)

michaelrym

@ Pangea

If you care about privacy, throw out your mobile phone and never go online... I made a couple of complimentary comments about Snowden a few years back, and for the next year my computer was trawled by a spy agency bot every time I went online.

Yeah, Google turning into a verb is sad. But personally, I'm more bothered by the apostrophitis epidemic: people putting apostrophes before every single 's', even when it merely indicates a plural. I'm not sure what's going on there - when I was learning English, it took me about thirty seconds to understand that it's= it is, that 'its' is the possessive case, and is the exception to the rule that possessive is marked by an apostrophe.

Come to think of it I shouldn't capitalise Google when using it as a verb. Come to think of it, I shouldn't be using it as a verb at all. Come to think of it, I should... (long silence)