Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Summerset Swamp - Story 24

Started by Abandoned, June 09, 2018, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 10

In early spring of year 14, men with torches led the way over the bridge.  We did not know what to expect, as far as we could tell the strange sounds never came from this direction.  As we crossed the bridge it was quiet, almost too quiet.  We were a bit surprised by what we found.  The area was drier than the swamp areas we were used to, still swampy but higher ground.  There were fewer trees and some rocks and a lot of swamp reeds.  In the center we found 2 structures, a tree stump and a mushroom, probably once used by swamp dwellers to gather herbs and wild foods.  There was nothing else there.

That left only one corner of our area of the swamp to explore, the far northwest corner across the small creek.  We built a small wooden bridge across that creek and kept it well lit with torches.  We would not cross until we had stone roads built.  If for any reason we had to retreat we wanted to be able to do it fast.

While the roads were being built, we had other business to attend to.  We need homes.  We had 28 families but only 24 homes.    By early winter we had another forest deep mushroom built as well as another wooden house by the mine, and a swamp house by the newest mushroom field.

rkelly17

Who is the poor citizen who has to go out in the night to make sure the torches are kept lit. Would not want to be him or her.   :'(

Abandoned

;D Torches are long lasting slow burning kind, torches were made better in the old days, not the new and improved variety.  ;D  No bannies were injured keeping these torches lit  ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: Abandoned on June 19, 2018, 02:48:38 PM
;D Torches are long lasting slow burning kind, torches were made better in the old days, not the new and improved variety.  ;D  No bannies were injured keeping these torches lit  ;D

That's a relief! I mean, what with all the strange noises and so on, I was worried.

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

:o  :D We need more torches  :D

Chapter 11

At the beginning of year 15 we realized that with bridge building and exploring we had neglected other things.  We only then realized we had had our first apricot harvest, it was only 50 boxes but it was much needed fruit.  The orchard gatherer had also been collecting roots and berries. Much to our dismay, we also discovered that Guiller from one of the wooden houses had been frogging in the swamp pond by the mine.  He had apparently been doing it for some time which explained the resumption of the mournful sounds from all directions and the unidentified splashes.  But as we had suspected the number of frog legs harvested from the pond was much higher with the worker living close by.  We were angry though that he had put all our lives at risk for indulgent meals of frog legs.  We again put a stop to the frogging and again the mournful swamp sounds and splashes ceased.

There was but one thing left to do, we had to explore that northwest corner.  Did we now have the swamp thing corner there?  We looked everywhere else.  What would happen when we confronted it?  Would we be forced to leave the swamp that we have called home for 15 years?  We settled Summerset with a few swamp houses and a barn, adding a swamp hall, school, and fishing pier.  We expanded to the north to grow crops and to the south to grow fruit.  We built homes and businesses, and families.  Summerset's population was 96, 49 adults, 18 students, and 29 young children. Would we lose it all when we crossed that bridge to the west?  There was only one way to find out.

galensgranny

I started a new game and clicked to get a randomly generated name.  The one I accepted made me think of you, Abandoned.  It is "Knowlegs".   ;D   Yes, it's the wrong spelling in terms of your swamp game.  It should be "No Legs".  I think of your story every time I play this village!  My Bannies are afraid of the water.  :D
The random name generator comes up with strange and funny town names.

Abandoned

Oh @galensgranny , that is so funny  ;D knowlegs and no legs are pronounced the same.  Thanks for sharing that.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 12

We could not wait any longer, and we would not wait for the road to be paved with stone.  The path was laid out, and the torches were lit this morning.  You arrived just in time, weary traveler, let's go see what's in the northwest corner of our swamp. 

Can you believe it?  It's another swamp pond of frogs but look there before it, that's the biggest frog we have ever seen.  It's a giant of a frog, it's the mother of all frogs.  In fact it does appear to be mother frog.  No wonder she has been making so much noise, she was mourning her lost babies and trying to protect the rest.  Who could blame her for that?

We should leave her alone with her babies, let's get back to town.  There will be no more frogging in our part of the swamp.  Mother Frog's babies will be safe from harm from now on.  It's a relief to know that the thing in our swamp is but a harmless frog.

So, weary traveler, today is the first day of summer.  Thank you for listening to my story about Summerset Swamp.  Rest assured, you need have no fear of the Swamp Thing, and do enjoy your summer.

The End

And do enjoy the Swamp Thing mod.  Thank you, Kid  :)

Nilla

Harmless? "An eye for an eye..........a leg for a leg"............  :o

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Goblin Girl

Are you going to make little wheel chairs for all the frogs whose legs you ate?

kid1293

I never imagined my frogs would turn against me  ;D ;D ;D

LadyMarmalade

I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.