News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

New to modding, wondering if this is possible

Started by SolePilgrim, May 26, 2020, 10:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolePilgrim

Hey everyone!
I've been tinkering with the mod toolkit since yesterday, made nothing fancy yet outside of a new starting condition I'm about to throw online, but I am having a few ideas that could probably make the game a tad harder if they're possible.
I find the education mechanic in the game to be a bit lacking, and was wondering if I could perhaps make certain professions only executable by characters who are educated.
It doesn't make much sense to me that teachers and doctors can have 0 education (how does the teacher teach onto others what they don't know themselves? Without text books?), so I'd love to change this.

Thoughts, advice, or a flat-out "you can't do that" or "that already exists" more than welcome!
Cheers!

huyle

you can reduce the quantity of products made by an uneducated citizen, but i tjhink not possible for teacher and doctor

rkelly17

Generally speaking, if the thing you want to change is in the foundational coding of the game, it cannot be modded. I don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that making education required for a certain profession would be in the foundational coding, not in the moddable files. I could be wrong, of course.

galensgranny

The school has to be able to have an uneducated teacher.  If not, then how would you get an educated Bannie to become the teacher?  Where would the teacher have been educated?  I agree it seems odd to have an uneducated teacher, bu pretend they had informal education.

SolePilgrim

Well the people you start the game with are all educated, so as long as those haven't died yet you can start educating ;)

galensgranny

Oh yeah, in the original game and many modded games, the Bannies start out educated.  Even if they all start educated, some people don't build schools early on so by the time they build a school, available adults left to fill the job might be uneducated.  Maybe a special category of "goods" could be made, Educated Teacher, that one can buy from the trader.  ;D

theonlywanderer

@SolePilgrim

What you propose wouldn't matter anyway since Bannies change jobs randomly.  You cannot control Bannies on a personal level.