News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

Quote from: tanypredator on April 19, 2017, 08:57:07 AM
Not sure about cold, but I think that wild animals eat those berries before cold comes :) You can find some berry leaves to put in tea at winter forest, but not berries. Or maybe only very few and rare.
Still hoping someone will do a health mod that uses herbal teas :)
With the berry & honey, and it has a health flag :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Bartender

As roughly a week has passed since my last update, here's v1.1 sneak peek #2! I'll try to do these once a week, to give some insight into the development proces and to gather some feedback while I'm working.

Currently I'm doing some exploration into several new directions, just to see where the ideas take me. I will use the results of this exploration to decide what the scope of the next update is going to be, after which I can work out those ideas in more detail.

Where last week was a week of berry bushes, this week my main focus was on another plant that is high on my wishlist: Reeds.

As you can see in the pictures, these reeds will grow on the waters edge naturally. I don't intend to have them grow along all the riverbanks; there will be some with reeds and some without. I'm still fiddling a bit with the spawning behaviour, but I'm already pretty happy with how natural it looks. As for all my resources, I intend to make several different species, for a nicely varied environment.

Thatch changes?
I'm currently in a heated debate with myself about how to deal with the resource for reeds. One of their main uses in the real world ofcourse is for thatching as well, but I feel that both grasses and reeds giving the 'thatch' resource directly would make it even more difficult to attain a healthy balance.

One idea I have is to create a production chain for the thatch: Instead of directly receiving thatch from harvesting grasses or reeds, you would receive 'grass bundles' or 'reed bundles'. These would then need to be processed by a new building into 'thatch', that can be used for construction.

A nice advantage of this change would be that these 'grass bundles' and 'reed bundles' could also serve as a basic resource for other new production chains (for example paper or wild cereals from grasses, or fishing equipment from reeds). A disadvantage could be that it becomes harder at the start of the game to obtain thatch and start building.

Updates to old models
The last thing I've been working on this week is to do experiment with some improvements on the models of v1.0. @Necora and @RedKetchup kindly suggested and explained to me the concept of multi-materials, which enables a whole new range of possibilities to make their behaviour even more natural. This means for example that on top of losing their flowers in winter, my herbs will also be able to have swaying leaves, and to get snowed under in winter (as suggested by @tanypredator). I'm not sure yet how exactly I am going to make use of this new technique, as I am still trying to figure out some new tricks with the Material files, but I'm pretty confident that I will manage to improve the old models conciderably for v1.1.

tanypredator

Wow! Reeds are impressive! Maybe even too much. They are so thick and bright. But already very beautiful! And if I see right, you added some spikes to grass too, very nice.

"for example ... wild cereals from grasses" - I like that idea! I wanted to suggest it, but wasn't sure and wanted to test more. That will give more interesting options for grass use.

You are making great progress! Look forward to your new additions.

Paeng

Yeah, they look nice...

Interesting, here we are again with possible regional differences - to me they look like cat tails (Typha), which around here are not really used for thatching... the reed we use for thatching has a more feathery look (almost like a grain, wheat or such...

Can you tell a little more about the plant your reed model is based on? Just curious...  ;)

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

brads3

i figured they were cattails.as to the use i would leave the reeds as reeds,so it won't disrupt CC then. we could try bringing similar mods from the CC dock set to WOB.if you change thatch to grass,do realize you start other mods. you are warned. grass=fodder=livestock feed.that will have many requests for additional mods. to me that idea does make sence.did you decide to release the berry as a individual mod or going to keep designing and then just release a larger mod set?

Bartender

The sentiments towards the thatch production chain seem to be universally positive both here and over at BL, so I'll get working on that :).

Quote from: tanypredator on April 22, 2017, 11:11:49 AM
Wow! Reeds are impressive! Maybe even too much. They are so thick and bright. But already very beautiful! And if I see right, you added some spikes to grass too, very nice.

"for example ... wild cereals from grasses" - I like that idea! I wanted to suggest it, but wasn't sure and wanted to test more. That will give more interesting options for grass use.

I am still fiddling a bit with the texture and the AO on them, they need to be bright enough for the decolouring in winter to give the right effect, but that makes them way too bright in summer. I tried to correct this with the AO, as it does not influence the decolouring, but then they become way too dark if it rains. I'll just need to find the right balance ;).

Well spotted about the grasses! I'm just playing around a bit with some variants for those, as I felt that the meadows were still a bit boring.

Quote from: Paeng on April 22, 2017, 11:44:26 AM
Yeah, they look nice...

Interesting, here we are again with possible regional differences - to me they look like cat tails (Typha), which around here are not really used for thatching... the reed we use for thatching has a more feathery look (almost like a grain, wheat or such...

Can you tell a little more about the plant your reed model is based on? Just curious...  ;)

You are quite right, these are Typha indeed! This is one of the reasons why I want to introduce the production chain, not all types of grasses and reeds are used for thatching. I will ofcourse include some variants that are used for thatching ;), but I don't want to make separate resources out of each of them.

Quote from: brads3 on April 22, 2017, 06:40:01 PM
i figured they were cattails.as to the use i would leave the reeds as reeds,so it won't disrupt CC then. we could try bringing similar mods from the CC dock set to WOB.if you change thatch to grass,do realize you start other mods. you are warned. grass=fodder=livestock feed.that will have many requests for additional mods. to me that idea does make sence.did you decide to release the berry as a individual mod or going to keep designing and then just release a larger mod set?

Yes I will make sure that the reeds are compatible with CC if possible, to avoid getting double resources. I asked RedKetchup about his grasses too, to see if I can make the grassbundles compatible to his mod as well.

I'm indeed going to keep working, and then release everything as an update to Natural Diversity :). Ofcourse there might be some things that won't make the final cut if I don't feel quite happy about it, but I'm quite sure that the berries will be included ;).

tanypredator

"I am still fiddling a bit with the texture and the AO on them, they need to be bright enough for the decolouring in winter to give the right effect, but that makes them way too bright in summer. I tried to correct this with the AO, as it does not influence the decolouring, but then they become way too dark if it rains. I'll just need to find the right balance"

On your pictures they are too bright (dark) at winter too. I suggest to make them thinner and add leaves, if possible. And to make them covered with snow at winter.

Also I, for one, would be glad to test your intermediate results, if you need some more feedback  :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Bartender on April 24, 2017, 06:28:03 AM

Yes I will make sure that the reeds are compatible with CC if possible, to avoid getting double resources. I asked RedKetchup about his grasses too, to see if I can make the grassbundles compatible to his mod as well.

np , i ll send you a copy of my code of GW:Utility
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

tanypredator

Well, finally I'm ready with my update.
Here is a version of New Flora (with bees) compatible with NatDiv (gathering tools allow you to gather Bartender's herbs and annual roots). There are also changes in Flax models - I've made a mistake first time, making the plant too low, and gathered flax model was not realistic. Here I tried to improve them, tell me, if I should change back. https://www.dropbox.com/s/n09rzm7ozy25hjc/NewFlora.pkm?dl=0

TheOtherMicheal

@tanypredator  :) Great news
I'm downloading it now but I have to wait until I finish work today before I can test it in game (it's 7:30 on Thursday morning for me as I type this)

QueryEverything

[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Bartender

@tanypredator Thanks for the tips! I will do an open beta before I release the next version, so everyone who wants can test it :).

Another week has passed, so it's time for sneak peek #3!

This week I have worked on quite a few different things, mainly consisting of bits and pieces for several ideas. Coincidentally there is a recurring theme though.. water! I guess @Necora inspired me with his wonderful riffle mod!

Firstly, the reeds of last week received an upgrade (they now have leaves), and I started work on the first variant. This one is a Phragmites australis, a widespread species which is commonly used for thatching.

Secondly, I have been looking at other ways to improve the natural look of the rivers. I am currently testing the automatic spawning of rocks on the riverbed. These are decorative only, the bannies can't reach them, and they don't block the construction of bridges or semi-aquatic buildings. The current meshes were not intended to be water rocks, so if you think they look a bit weird then we are in agreement. Just see these screens as a 'proof of concept' ;). I intend to make other meshes that are flatter, as the erroding power of the water would make them.

Thirdly, the plans for the thatch production chain are taking shape nicely, and it's definitely going to be included in the next version of the mod. I will share more information on how the chain is going to work exactly once there is something to show ;).

And then, last but most certainly not least, I have made a very exciting discovery yesterday evening. While I was testing an idea for one of the buildings of the production chain, I created something that I didn't even think would actually be possible. I made a little video of it being placed, just to prove that this is not a late April fools joke :P.

https://webmshare.com/play/rZw9D

Indeed, it is a placeable pool of water! It looks exactly like the normal water, though ofcourse it is entirely decorational. I have not yet tested if this could be used to make custom rivers and such, but theoretically it should be possible. I will have to play around a bit to see if I can make connecting pieces.

If I manage to create such a 'custom water tool' it will not be a part of Natural Diversity though, as it wouldn't fit within the focus of this mod. I'm thinking about adding it to the decoration pack that I promised, or just making it a separate mod all together.

That's it for this week, please share any thoughts or ideas :)!

QueryEverything

Quote from: Bartender on April 29, 2017, 06:34:26 AM
-----
Firstly, the reeds of last week received an upgrade (they now have leaves), and I started work on the first variant. This one is a Phragmites australis, a widespread species which is commonly used for thatching.

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/uploads/monthly_2017_04/Reeds2.thumb.png.1e0ad69fa4521dd8aa920b91356a5b46.png
Re: Bartender's WIP: Natural Diversity

-----
Secondly, I have been looking at other ways to improve the natural look of the rivers. I am currently testing the automatic spawning of rocks on the riverbed.

-----
And then, last but most certainly not least, I have made a very exciting discovery yesterday evening. While I was testing an idea for one of the buildings of the production chain, I created something that I didn't even think would actually be possible. I made a little video of it being placed, just to prove that this is not a late April fools joke :P .

https://webmshare.com/play/rZw9D

Indeed, it is a placeable pool of water! It looks exactly like the normal water, though ofcourse it is entirely decorational. I have not yet tested if this could be used to make custom rivers and such, but theoretically it should be possible. I will have to play around a bit to see if I can make connecting pieces.

If I manage to create such a 'custom water tool' it will not be a part of Natural Diversity though, as it wouldn't fit within the focus of this mod. I'm thinking about adding it to the decoration pack that I promised, or just making it a separate mod all together.

That's it for this week, please share any thoughts or ideas :) !

Wow, @Bartender that's a lot of progress this week, congratulations!!  :)

1)  woohoo, Australis represents!  Go Aussie, Go!  :)  (I may be an Australian, lol)

2)  Those rocks look terrific, they are definitely going to be a positive to the game. :)

3)  Excellent, between what I found the other day (check the details here), using @kralyerg terraform mod, with @Necora's riffle mod, I can definitely see a future for inland customisation for working fishing holes, ponds and new creeks - a very good headstart on this has been made, and between the 3 of you I can certainly see our maps becoming more and more broad!! 

Imagine finally being able to create a working backyard pond, or fishing hole, the things that can happen now! 

Very thrilling times ahead :) 

embx61

@Bartender

The video screen says unsupported video type or invalid file path.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

The Pilgrim

This is stunning. It's amazing the things that have been unlocked over the last couple of weeks that were assumed to be impossible. Great job!!!