News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Game crash due to resolution

Started by galensgranny, February 04, 2021, 01:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

The other day my game crashed when I tried to load a saved game.  All had been fine previously.  I got the fatal error message that game cannot continue, something about failing to create direct x device, and failed to initialize a video interface with it not supported on the OS- words to that effect.

I searched for answers, thinking it was something gone wrong with my video card, or direct x program, but that didn't seem to be it.  Then, in one search, I landed in a Steam discussion for Banished, and found the solution.  It was that my game's resolution got changed in the options section.  One person had listed the error message I got, and in one post said they solved it by changing the resolution when the game first starts.  So I tried that, and it worked!  Then once in the saved game I put the resolution to what worked best for me.

Here is that discussion https://steamcommunity.com/app/242920/discussions/0/34096318888963858/
I don't know how this kind of problem can happen, when previously all was fine.  Can the computer make some kind of changes to things on it's own?
I had been playing a game on Facebook that had graphics and I think I still had Banished running.  Could that have made my computer or Banished game get weird? Confused things?

Anyway, I am glad it turned out to be an easy fix, just not the kind of thing one would expect.

theonlywanderer

Strange things can indeed happen when you have multiple games open of any kind because games require the most GPU interaction so they don't like competition for resources.  Weird things can happen in window mode as well, but games are especially vulnerable when any of them operate in full screen mode.  Basically, everything should reasonably play nice, but always make sure any game is saved before minimizing or switching other tasks for sure.

FYI...   you can also change the resolution in the regedit code for Banished.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Shining Rock Software LLC\Banished

VideoHeight
VideoWidth

VideoWindowHeight
VideoWindowWidth

This is where I figured out how to make Banished work across multiple monitors.   Increase the width and it will stretch out.  When I get in to the Banished mood to play a full out round, I will increase the width to span two screens so I can have all my open dialogs on the other screen and have my full main screen nice and clear.

galensgranny

Thanks for the advice, theonlywanderer.
Oh boy, that would be something to see- Banished spanning two screens!