News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread

Started by embx61, June 04, 2018, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

embx61

Maybe big engines like Real or Unity can handle that high poly stuff but Banished can't it seems.
The textures were all odd sizes too like 358x127 and I had to crop/resize a lot so they are a power to 2.

It is a nice building so that is why I decided to redo it from scratch in between all my other modding stuff :)
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

embx61

Made some progress and the array tool in 3ds max is awesome for equal spacing of objects.
Whoever made that mesh was a bit off here and there with column spacing as I noticed when I used the array tool.

The mesh went from 128.935 as seen in the 1st picture to 38.768 poly and that not include the chariot part what i deleted all ready and saved in a different mesh and hope to find a lower poly one, and still more to do. :)
All what is not light green I still have to make from scratch to save a lot more poly.

All the little yellow blocks what I call fries are just 483 poly. Original was 60 poly per 1 rectangle. 1 rectangle is 5 poly when made from scratch.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/474_11_09_18_7_17_42.jpeg
Re: EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread

RedKetchup

the place you can save alot are the columns. make them too complicated and you will multiply by 100 when you ll copy them over and over.
keep in mind, in banished we see nothing of our detailled work
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

Yeah, those colums have rings around them at top and bottom. Each ring original was 672 per ring  ??? 
When i had all small columns in place I deleted all those blocks and rings and poly went down like crazy :)

Remade rings are 56 poly because I made them a bit less round and deleted poly which are not visible because they are hidden by the square block and the column itself.
I must admit it goes faster then I expected.

schueler

There is a relatively low-poly quadriga model on top of this one:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/4a902c1f44223116c4e174b0cf70299/Mausoleum-of-Hadrian

It might be a bit of a hassle to import the sketchup format though. Maybe it's useful, though it's not an exact replica.

embx61

Thanks @schueler

I can import sketchup stuff in 3ds Max I just founded out. Some nice other stuff I see on that site and will look for some more buildings later on :)
I mostly ignored sketchup stuff because did not know I could import it in Max but I can.

I found however another chariot I took from another model of the Brandenburger Tor which is a little over twice the poly of the Hadrian mesh but is more accurate with the staff and the eagle.
I saved a lot of poly from building the BT from scratch. Everything beside the chariot are redone from scratch.
I went from about 194.000 poly to 21.631 including the chariot which alone is 10.531 poly as seen in the picture below.

I have the textures about ready too and still looking for a few more. I also want to do a couple of doors and windows in the side buildings as the original had them just as a plane texture with windows and doors draw on the texture.

I think the building will be a whopping 28x14 tiles in Banished if I look at the grid lines in 3ds Max.

All in all it went pretty fast to rebuild from scratch so if I find another mesh what is worth it but have a very high poly I will rebuild from scratch too :)

Take a little break and then go do the doors/windows, some cleanup and then texturing.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/474_12_09_18_8_29_56.jpeg

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

embx61

:)

Made good progress on the texturing. Had to look for a couple better textures then the original one.
Now working on some stuff inside the gate part where there is a rectangle and a round relief so i going to add those.

Then some more of those 3 blocks designs in a row I go around the other parts of the building as well.
Then some doors and windows in the side buildings and it should be ready for testing and the build stages and AO mapping.

Sitting on 21.868 poly currently and probably stay below 30K with the build stages included.

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/474_12_09_18_4_57_41.jpeg

Kimbolton

RedKetchup

embx61

Thanks guys :)

The Brandenburger Tor in Banished. :)
Not finished yet but I could not wait to see how it would look :)

brads, You wanted a big wonder so soon it will be available. Big enough? LOL

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/474_12_09_18_6_29_51.png
Re: EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread

RedKetchup

wow in game that looks so nice !!

what did you decided as function? a decorative item ? a townhall ?

embx61

O yeah, it looks great in the game. My heart was pounding when I loaded it for the first time and dumped it down.
Still I see some small issues like black faces here and there I have to fix. Probably do a normal modifier on it in Max to see if it fixes it.
If not I can export to Object and re import because lots of time that fixes that small stuff too.

O nothing decided yet as function. I made all ready quite some happiness and Immigration statues so I am not sure.
Town Hall it sure can be but an expensive one. LOL

Let the players chime in about size (I think it is scale wise close to the real one in Berlin if i look at pictures and see people walking in front of it)
Building cost, and work time. So far I have 10 builders as dummies but can do more but maybe it is something what need a lot of resources and work time to complete, like years, just as the real one. :)

It is 30x15 tiles in the game currently. A nice empty plaza in front to put a lot of ghosted decorations :)

Tons of stone, copper, Iron, and wood are needed I would say.

RedKetchup

yeah sometime a normal modifier can fix some of these

Kimbolton

It looks fantastic EB!

I think I'll trust your good instincts regarding the scale. Personally I prefer it not to attract nomads. Can a road go through it? :)