Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

EMBX61's New Work in Progress Thread

Started by embx61, June 04, 2018, 05:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatherer

Quote from: embx61 on September 15, 2018, 02:29:37 PM
Quote from: Gatherer on September 15, 2018, 01:56:58 PM
Mr. Red's cathedral in NMT 2.0.4 required 16 thousand work units and could be finished in 2 years with 4 workers.
Was 4 builders the maximum in the Cathedral?

4 builders maximum, yes.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

embx61

Ah, I was not thinking about tools. 22000 / 100 is 220 tools needed if they are Iron.

But it seems the 4 builders for the Cathedral was okay or did you get "complaints" it took too long to build?
If it is okay I will cut the builders in half so from 12 to 6 with a build time of 22000 so it will get build in a year or 2.

If I add the the Town Hall code without Nomads it is just a question of Hide the Tab with the hidden flag and comment out or delete all the Immigration Code from the Template File, correct?
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

embx61

Yeah, I agree with too many builders it will be finished pretty fast too unless I up the work time to compensate :)
Less builders are a bit better in my view with lower work time the high build time with more builders.

Gatherer

Just for info: The real Brandenburg Gate was built in 4 years, between 1788 and 1791.
Fiat panis.

embx61

Yes, I read that too but if i go too high I am think that not many players will build it but I can be wrong.
I use the download numbers of many mods, from other modders and mine alike, as a sort of guide and see what is popular and/or not and notice that big expensive buildings are not as much liked as smaller and cheaper buildings according to the download numbers.

Maybe it is not the size directly but the problem with those big buildings is that it is very hard to give them a good function because of game limitations.
Mostly they end up as Nomad thing, Town hall, or a happiness booster.

While not so important for me personally I am still honest enough to realize when I working weeks on a building and it get downloaded for example 30 times on a forum with over 9200 members it makes me wonder and have to ask myself if it is worth it keep designing those kind of buildings or just do way more smaller stuff like small chains and more houses and stuff.
I honestly do not know as download numbers are only 1 facet and this is not a sneer to players as I will not download and play with a mod I not like either for whatever reason it can be but just a honest observation I have acquired over the last month or 2. :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: embx61 on September 15, 2018, 03:59:29 PM
Ah, I was not thinking about tools. 22000 / 100 is 220 tools needed if they are Iron.

But it seems the 4 builders for the Cathedral was okay or did you get "complaints" it took too long to build?
If it is okay I will cut the builders in half so from 12 to 6 with a build time of 22000 so it will get build in a year or 2.

bah the thing still is :
not many built it in 2.04
more people are building it in RKEC at lower costs
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

So maybe I will release two versions, a cheaper one and a more expensive one for those who like a challenge? I not going to rewrite all the code beside the strings and adjusting the numbers in the template file so only 1 is possible to have enabled in the mod list, not both.

Tom Sawyer

So we are now Banished to Berlin? Then I want a food stall for Currywurst and Döner next to the gate. Döner please komplett with Kräutersoße. ;D

rkelly17

Quote from: embx61 on September 15, 2018, 05:15:09 PM
So maybe I will release two versions, a cheaper one and a more expensive one for those who like a challenge? I not going to rewrite all the code beside the strings and adjusting the numbers in the template file so only 1 is possible to have enabled in the mod list, not both.

I think that all of these landmarks should be very challenging, something that you build around year 80-100 when you have lots of people and lots of resources, so I'm for the more expensive version.

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 16, 2018, 12:11:32 AM
So we are now Banished to Berlin? Then I want a food stall for Currywurst and Döner next to the gate. Döner please komplett with Kräutersoße. ;D

Yes!  ;D

embx61

Had some problems with the AO mapping as some of the bases of the columns looked bad.
Had to do some research on the internet and found not much info.

I mean there is much information about 3ds Max but there is so much it is hard to find the right info :)

I fiddled with some settings like the padding and the max. distance modifier and suddenly that seem to do the trick and the AO is okay.

Redid all the AO with those settings and it looked okay in game.
The BT will act as a Town Hall without Nomads and a spirit happiness with a radius of 200.

I did some thinking overnight and decided to make this building as I intended it to be.
IMHO It need lots of resources and time to build a giant like that.

I made the circle invisible as it is so huge it almost covers a medium map completely and some is seen in the outer mountains and is stretched too much so it looks awefull.
But trust me the 200 radius is there, only not visible. :)

If enough players want a cheaper version I will release a cheaper to build version too but will strip the happiness code out of it so it acts as only a Town Hall without Nomads.
As I wrote earlier, I not look forward rewriting the code for two versions so they not conflict so only one can be in game, not both at the same time.

Now for the cheaper version if desired. Please give me some numbers about the resources and build time for the cheaper version.
Currently I was thinking the regular version to be:
22000 build units, max 6 builders, 400 logs, 1000 stone, 400 copper, 400 Iron, and 80 glass.
There is a bit of time left so I can adjust numbers on players feedback.

I will release the original version tonight as well as the 4 small ghosted statues set.

Gatherer

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 16, 2018, 12:52:29 PM
I think that all of these landmarks should be very challenging, something that you build around year 80-100 when you have lots of people and lots of resources, so I'm for the more expensive version.

This was also my reasoning behind those numbers I suggested before. I like to reserve space and have the industry output well established for the NMT cathedral in advance and then build a town around it first. So it will be the same with this wonder.

My revised proposed numbers based on yours @embx61 : 25 thousand build units, 500 logs, 1500 stone, 400 copper, 400 iron and 100 glass.
Fiat panis.

galensgranny

For me, if the cheaper version would only be a town hall, I don't see the point with such a large building and so much labor involved. 

Regarding the circle to show the range of happiness, I do wish all such buildings showed them when first setting them down or hovering in place.  Though, with a range of 200, it is not so important like it is with churches and markets.

embx61

I can show the circle but because of the massive radius the texture stretches so much it looks like crap.

I wish those land mark buildings could be more then just a Town Hall and/or some happiness stuff but the game is quite limited in that regard.

I understand everyone plays different with different goals. What for one player looks okay is for the next player way too expensive.
What I cannot do is please everyone without making 100's of versions of the same building but all with different numbers and scales.
Well, I could do it but nothing new would be released anymore for a long time beside that i will burnout rather fast with working on the same code and mesh all the time :)

But as rkelly and gatherer saying, it is not directly about the function but rather the later game challenge to build one of those land marks even when they do nothing game play wise.
The real Brandenburger Tor have no real function either (It was a city gate) while I think there is a small museum in one of the side buildings.
But the Tor is a symbol for peace and unity. So to give it a spirit happiness make some sense in that regard.
That is the idea I got from reading some of those requests and players said it should be expensive as that is part of the challenge to build one.

But not every players wants that kind of challenge and that is why I want to release a cheaper to build version as well.

But I need some numbers as what the players think is reasonable in build time and resources for the cheaper one.

embx61

Just released the Brandenburger Tor.

I went with the numbers given by Gatherer in his last reply. If enough players let me know they want a cheaper to build version I adapt some code and release it.
Now finishing up the 4 ghosted small statues and will release those shortly.

The decorations toolbar get a bit ugly with all those decoration releases.
I will look into smoothing that toolbar out a bit with some more added sub toolbars.

Kimbolton

Looks great EB. That is definitely one big tor! :)

Now the largest structure in Banished:

Looks like this needs to be above your other mods to show in the toolbar.

I think there is definitely room in Banished for buildings that don't necessarily have a function but are simply built to make your city more beautiful or interesting. I am always happy to see more of them. I love the gameplay of banished but also love just the city planning and building part as well. Also as you said they are a late game challenge. That is just my opinion though. :)

Thanks so much for all your work on this.