Author Topic: Nordic Landscape  (Read 73667 times)

Offline Nethanis

• Laborer
Re: Nordic Landscape
« Reply #855 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:44 PM »
Well, i'm not mad, @Tom Sawyer. :D The hut looks primitive and beautiful. I like the little barrel inside. It's a nice touch, actually adds immersion and realism to the building. :)

Offline gatinho65

• Vendor
« Reply #856 on: October 05, 2017, 01:00:56 PM »
I've been using your Izba as my forester's house. Its beautiful and since Banished foresters, at least the way I play, are there for the long term managing an ongoing forest that gets better and better and lasts generations, why not give them a beautiful place to live?

In that sense, I'm not sure that you need to find a really traditional forester dwelling, maybe such a thing didn't really exist? Or was temporary, as they likely may have been seasonal housing for whoever was managing/guarding the forest for whoever owned it depending on the part of the world? There were Native Americans who lived in forests, very cool dwellings but I imagine difficult to model as they are rounder or unusually shaped.

It seems very reasonable to be inspired by houses of various people leaving near or in a forest region? And since they aren't temporary, maybe its okay that they don't look as fragile as your gatherer hut for example, but more like the hunting lodge? Substantial and worth investment for the residents and the builders?

Here's a few pics I like from Bialowieza forest region of Poland and one from the Shors people of the Taiga. Also, check out the beautiful little blue church at the site where I found a few of these pics:

http://bialowieza-forest.com/regional-culture/wooden-architecture/?lang=en

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/43_05_10_17_12_47_17.png
Nordic Landscape

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/43_05_10_17_12_47_56.png
Nordic Landscape

http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/43_05_10_17_12_48_49.jpeg
Nordic Landscape
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/43_05_10_17_12_49_26.jpeg
Nordic Landscape
http://worldofbanished.com/gallery/43_05_10_17_12_49_53.png
Nordic Landscape

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #857 on: October 06, 2017, 02:04:50 AM »
Very sweet houses from Poland. They would fit nicely in Banished. My idea of a foresters lodge goes in the same direction as a settled workplace for a family with a home as two story house and a couple of outbuildings around. It exists in real for sure but probably not everywhere and especially not in every time because forestry is a thing invented in 19th century. The time before people just went to the forest cutting trees as much as they needed using the removal toolbar and even when the forests were depleted they did not start to plant trees in old Europe. Too hard to plan and act in the long term or for the common good. What I have in mind is something like in this picture but it is not from a Nordic country. Maybe I can adapt it a bit by details. I like it in a rather modern style but also with a rustic look to match other buildings of my set. Not that easy. :)

Offline gatinho65

• Vendor
« Reply #858 on: October 06, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
Really nice house, great details. The only issue I see, aside from the challenge of modeling, is that the really beautiful stuff is under the overhanging roof, so going to be very difficult to see in the game. So much of what we see are rooftops lol, I think we need more interesting roofs. I really like your mossy roofs on several buildings.

Or maybe, the buildings need to be tweaked in a way that allows us to see more of the detail below like becoming a bit taller, without becoming the wrong scale for the game. If you use this cool house as your inspiration, maybe the overhang could be a lot less so the detail could be visible, and maybe the house could be a bit taller also to see the detail.

Online Abandoned

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #859 on: October 06, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
@gatinho65  You can change the camera angle a bit by using the page up and page down keys.  :)

Offline gatinho65

• Vendor
« Reply #860 on: October 06, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
@Abandoned: there is a very serious limit to that lol, even on my closest zoom I doubt I would see all that lovely detail if Tom builds his house with this much overhang. I've always wanted to try paeng's zoom hack but I have no idea how to work that on a mac, I never get the tilt on my zoom to actually tilt much lol.

Online Abandoned

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #861 on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
@gatinho65 yes, it is limited but better than nothing.  I do not use zoom hack either.  Banished does have it's limitations.

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #862 on: October 06, 2017, 03:06:52 PM »
Yes, the overhanging roof can be smaller but actually I don't think it is a big problem. We have many nice models where you can look at details under the roof. For example you can see the fire in my new smithy from certain camera positions with more tilt and distance. Such an overhang also can create nice effects with shadows and so on. :)

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #863 on: October 12, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »
Really silent here. Is it the downfall of the WOB or is Mr. Red just busy in WOW? ;D

I was a bit busy in Sketchup and tried to make a foresters lodge like in the picture above. It's a 2 story house with balcony and dormer window as home for the foresters family to add on a 1 x 7 object to the left. The forester lodge itself is the workplace on 5 x 7 tiles. That means a centered radius and reaching the forester when clicking from far away. People will walk over the balcony to enter the house. Always a bit tricky with this overlapping technology but should work. As a variant I can add antlers like at my hunting cabin instead of the window. The roof is modeled for wooden shingles to keep it more rustic and to not have to buy bricks and tiles to start forestry. So far with my idea.

http://www.banishedventures.com/images/forester-sketch.png
Nordic Landscape
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:15:59 AM by Tom Sawyer »

Offline Gatherer

• Architect
« Reply #864 on: October 12, 2017, 11:33:34 AM »
That's a great design! Almost too good to be hidden in the forest.
Fiat panis

Online kid1293

• Modders
  • Banished Expert
  • Never confuse movement with progress
« Reply #865 on: October 12, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »
Very nice house. I agree that it is a pity to hide it among trees!

Those railings are killers for polygon-count. :)

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #866 on: October 12, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
Yes, pillars are bad boys.^^ But look at Blender.. both objects together have 2500 vertices on 6 x 7 game tiles = 60 vertices per tile. This is ridiculous low in comparison to crops and trees. :)

Offline Turis

• Trader
« Reply #867 on: October 12, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
It's a real beauty! :)

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #868 on: October 13, 2017, 01:02:38 AM »
Really silent here. Is it the downfall of the WOB or is Mr. Red just busy in WOW? ;D

So Sorry !

yeah i know i am pretty quiet presently  :(
and no cause of world of warcraft. this game has been uninstalled since March and wont never be played anymore. i am really done with this game forever.

since like a week i am in a mood to watch and follow a tv show presently and i am chaining episodes after episodes after episodes. ^^ thats the magic of the internet lol. watching an episode the wed 20:30 and then waiting the next wed 20:30 for the next episode is really not the same as when you have the entire full seasons already and you are chaining the 30 episodes lol. you get suck in and asap 1 end, you cant wait to start the next one ^^. and the next day, i am chaining the next season^^

sorry i didnt made anything "Banished" since weeks

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Online kid1293

• Modders
  • Banished Expert
  • Never confuse movement with progress
« Reply #869 on: October 13, 2017, 02:28:44 AM »

Yes, pillars are bad boys.^^ But look at Blender.. both objects together have 2500 vertices on 6 x 7 game tiles = 60 vertices per tile. This is ridiculous low in comparison to crops and trees. :)

Yes, I know. Lately I have thrown everything to the wind and I model what I want.
Last mods are a pain if you count triangles but I think it is worth it in the end.
Computers are getting better and better. I don't think anyone want to fill a large map
with those houses anyway. I give fair warning when the models are too complex.