News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Best way to get screen shots?

Started by Mmdrgtobldrgn, January 10, 2015, 05:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Both of you should arrange your screen shots so they can be judiciously cropped.  I am assuming you have decent photo editors such as the www.gimp.org.  It is not very difficult to make something square as needed.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

realm174

I usually use Paint.net, and it works fine for doing a collage.. the problem is that the overhead view isn't straight.. What I mean by that is that if you have two roads, for example, that are parallel in your town, they're not parallel in the view or snapshot. This is easily noticeable when you take two screenshots that would end up being two images that go one above the other... the roads would look like this:

/  \
  /    \
/      \
/        \
   /  \
  /    \
/      \
/        \

instead of

|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |
|   |

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on January 30, 2015, 08:36:53 AMyou should arrange your screen shots so they can be judiciously cropped.

Easier said than done, my friend. As Realm showed, the proportions and perspective get distorted as you move the map up, down or sideways, and the color values change dramatically.

Yes, ypu could select a portion in the center of a map (where the distortion is minimal) and crop away large portions on all sides - you'll end up needing dozens of screenshots, and the stitching will be less than perfect (as there is no overlay grid, you need to eyeball it all)... it takes hours to put together a (well-matched) map like that.

I been experimenting with making a sort of panorama that puts the consecutive shots into sort of a panorama... at least the viewer gets an impression of how the land lays...

Not yet perfected, but with some practice I believe this technique will yield pretty good results, with reasonable effort.

If anyone has better ideas how to make cleanly stitched mosaics, I'm all ears  :D

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

Really too bad about the camera.  I haven't had occasion to try to cope with that, as I am not CJ oriented at all.  Good luck.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/