News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Who is playing Banished? Vote for your age group NOW!

Started by solarscreen, February 26, 2015, 08:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

no one under 20 years!
all flipped to shoot with Counter-Strike!!  ;D ;D ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Goblin Girl

I'm 58.   ;D   I've noticed over the years that a lot of people who post to message boards about city building games are in my age cohort.  That's been true since way back with Caesar II.  Dunno if that means we're the majority playing, or if we're just the ones who like to talk about it on message boards.

A Nonny Moose

We, the grown ups, are the only ones with attention spans long enough to play games such as this and SimCity 4.  Big, slow simulations are not responsive enough for the Generation X,Y,Z babies who want instant gratification.

I suspect that if it is not an FPS, most of today's little darlings can't stay in touch with it long enough to get anywhere, let alone climb the learning curves.  Banished takes quite a while before you learn to balance all the variables to avoid some general disaster that kills everyone.  And then the game is full of nasty surprised with which you have to cope, not the least of which is accepting too many nomads.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

sandysan

I agree with you @A Nonny Moose
With age, we become patient. We are looking to slowly build something beautiful, not something quick which fall to the first storm. And even if everything is destroyed, we start again,again and again.
We don't capitulate to the first fall .... we react and are improving rather than say that the game isn't well

Goblin Girl

I'm not comfortable dissing on an entire generation.   I was about to say it's just time-of-life, but back when I was in my late 30s, I was playing city building games and talking about it on message boards with people in my age cohort.  So maybe it's just that message boards appeal to a certain type of person--one who enjoys city building games and the particular structure of online conversations one finds on a message board (as opposed to a blog or twitter, say).

Rayden

I think city building was one of my first games I start playing. Back on the early 90's I bought I SNES and as a bundle it included SimCity (the very first version). I had also a ZX Spectrum with some games bought on late 80's, mostly puzzle ones, but at the end of the day, the SimCity on the SNES was my favourite.

rkelly17

Quote from: Rayden on March 05, 2015, 07:12:35 AM
I think city building was one of my first games I start playing. Back on the early 90's I bought I SNES and as a bundle it included SimCity (the very first version). I had also a ZX Spectrum with some games bought on late 80's, mostly puzzle ones, but at the end of the day, the SimCity on the SNES was my favourite.
Quote from: Goblin Girl on March 05, 2015, 07:05:00 AM
I'm not comfortable dissing on an entire generation.   I was about to say it's just time-of-life, but back when I was in my late 30s, I was playing city building games and talking about it on message boards with people in my age cohort.  So maybe it's just that message boards appeal to a certain type of person--one who enjoys city building games and the particular structure of online conversations one finds on a message board (as opposed to a blog or twitter, say).

My first real computer was a locally built 386 (I did have a Commodore Vik 20, but . . . .) and my first game for it was the original Sim City. I was hooked on city builders from the first time I fired it up. At the time I think I was about 40ish.

I've noticed in playing Civilization V my grandson (age 13) and I use very different approaches. I'm allying myself with city-states, trading with everyone who will trade, making friendship pacts wherever I can and going for a science or cultural victory. He ramps up military production and conquers everybody as fast as he can. Not sure whether it's generational or personality.

Rayden

About Civ, the first time I've played it I also went straight for conquering. With Colonization, the nation I picked first was Spain because in the game they had the most powerful military force (navy and soldiers), if I wanted to colonize and trade, then I would pick Holland. But then I was much younger :D

RedKetchup

personally i prefer to make a realm-fortress and my prefered settings are Highland , with tectonic (ridgelines) mountains. i tent to find out and decide my border and i put cities at every entrances :)
and then i try to win 1 of the conditions.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kee

Now I feel old computervise. The first rig I had was a locally built (eb friend) speciality with a modified ms-dos and 16 garish colors when 'everyone' had standard pc-dos (ibms version of ms) with rgb and wonderful games like burger, pac-man, styx. The strange graphics renderer meant that trying to run bootlegged programs seldom worked. Snake was the only game in town that worked other than the ones we programmed in basic.
Ah, the wonder of when we upgraded to a rig with ega and the same operating system that 'everyone' else had. Leisure suit larry, manhunter, diverse textbased adventure games and ms flight simulator- the world as made up of dots and steel thread.
In good time we got a 286 rig with turbo button that gave all 16 Mhz and vga screen. That was when sid meier caught me in his net. Since then vaious simulations, city builders and civ's have been my staple diet of games. Broken off by a bout of Fallout 2 when I'm in the mood.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

@kee Well, I don't feel quite so ancient.  I did have a TRS-80 as my first home system complete with 5-1/4" floppies and only 384K memory, but it did what I wanted, and I could occasionally run CPM just for fun.

Before that I was in large-scale computer sales support and was playing in the GE computer division.  The shiny new time-sharing systems were making a bundle at the time. and our mid-range systems were selling to the banks  (1960s).  It was a great time to be a programmer.  Eventually, I became an academic, and retired in that business.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: Rayden on March 05, 2015, 07:45:24 AM
About Civ, the first time I've played it I also went straight for conquering. With Colonization, the nation I picked first was Spain because in the game they had the most powerful military force (navy and soldiers), if I wanted to colonize and trade, then I would pick Holland. But then I was much younger :D

Oh, me too. I remember in the early days of playing Civ I as the Aztecs rolling across the plains of Asia with a whack of tanks and mechanized infantry to conquer the Chinese and thinking "What?!?" It was fun. But then Civ 1 was pretty simple compared to what came later.

And you're right about Col. I almost always played as the Dutch because of the bigger ship at the beginning and the potential for more money. Then I'd buy an army and declare independence. Occasionally I'd even win!

Brugle

Just added one to 60-69.  If we had two more 70-79s, the graph would be symmetrical around 49/50. :D