News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Riverboats and MC Ecsher

Started by Chon Waen, March 09, 2015, 11:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chon Waen

I know it simplifies things programming-wise, but are there hidden pumps somewhere off the map or a giant boat lift for those river merchants like you find in Disneyland? Exactly how DO they get back to the top of the river without paddling back upstream?

Outlandish theories accepted and giggled at by all!

kee

This is an effect of the long earth. They all come from a close by reality and exit to yet an other with your wares. When there is turtles all the way down these things are to be taken in stride.
Kim Erik

rkelly17

Quote from: Chon Waen on March 09, 2015, 11:58:24 AM
I know it simplifies things programming-wise, but are there hidden pumps somewhere off the map or a giant boat lift for those river merchants like you find in Disneyland? Exactly how DO they get back to the top of the river without paddling back upstream?

Outlandish theories accepted and giggled at by all!

I'm pretty sure it would have to be worm holes. They exit into a parallel universe, trade there, and find another work hole that takes them to the head of the river.

Seriously, it has always seemed odd to me that the merchants seem to becoming from further upstream which, one would assume, would be even further out in the middle of nowhere. You can get two-way boat traffic, but only on one of those unique "wrong-way merchant" maps where they leave, go upstream almost to the entrance, then turn around and head for the exit.

Chon Waen

Or perhaps the world banished occupies is similar to, but not exactly like the world of Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld. I have yet to observe rapids on this river. Perhaps the "sea level" of the entire realm is exactly that of the main river. Hidden hydrojets and ion exchangers hidden beneath the surface keeps the river flowing and fresh.  All settlement areas seem to be nearly universally surrounded by near impassable mountains (how the nomads do manage it, i have no idea). These "settlement zones" are grouped in a subset of 4-6 linked by a common river that flows in a loop.  There could be literally millions of these "seeded" settlements just waiting to be explored! This would also lend support to a belief in the bannie god "RNG".  Major mechanical implements are not to be interfered with, as they tend to prove invariably fatal when tampered with.  Chapels are truly the repository of tech trinkets and bits found and brought there for storage and/or disposal depending on how intricate the tech looks.  A cleric isn't there to preach, he's there to guard the door! Populations gain happiness from this, but a chapel can only handle the needs of 200 banishim. This explains the very basic technology used by all banishim.

A Nonny Moose

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a holy temple decree
"Where Alph, the sacred river ran down to a sunless sea."
                       Samuel Taylor Coleridge

And having visited this venue the merchants rise again to the new day.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

kee

Gentlemen. My ladies. It is of the utmost importance to the society that you take on board what I am about to reveal: I am currently trading with the fay. If you hear a strange knocking from the ground, please let me out. There's probably a deal gone sour.
Kim Erik

Chon Waen

That explains why those boat merchants live centuries!!!!!

irrelevant

It's very simple. Your world is flat. It has edges and corners. You get to the edge, you fall off.

But even a flat world has another side. What's on the other side? My world.

The merchants bringing you stuff? They just came from my TPs, on the other side of your flat world, bringing you the stuff the stuff that I just traded away. Enjoy!

Oh, and please be sure to send good stuff back, okay? ;)

Quote from: kee on March 09, 2015, 03:29:06 PM
Gentlemen. My ladies. It is of the utmost importance to the society that you take on board what I am about to reveal: I am currently trading with the fay. If you hear a strange knocking from the ground, please let me out. There's probably a deal gone sour.
Definitely an X-File. Watch out for Krycek....

RedKetchup

lollll

by the way, in winter like that , with so many snow falling to the ground, i am sure it was santa clause :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Chon Waen

@irrelevant  Interesting theory but why does it take 'em a full year? 

Besides, I doubt yours is opposite mine, else all you would ever get would be firewood, ale, and leather I trade for wool!!!

Kee's demonstration of the Fae being responsible for all commerce makes a lot of sense.  Immortal merchants, some of these fae must come from a summer realm where food is overly abundant, and the summer queen has decreed that no tree be felled in her lands, so he makes a great living trading firewood and leather.  He may end up trading some of his ale there as well.  If he's a food merch, he tends to party with his profits for a few months, then load up a bunch of food, and return to my realm, where the cycle begins anew.  Those raw material merchants seem to take my firewood, leather and ale off to a subterranean winter realm.  This is where all the stone, iron, and coal come from.  Firewood is very popular due to the sweeter smoke it makes. Face it, ale is popular anywhere. Ale from an entirely different realm is more popular still due to the exotic mystique regardless of whether or not its actually better (ever drink a Corona?)

irrelevant

Quote from: Chon Waen on March 09, 2015, 06:19:56 PM
@irrelevant  Interesting theory but why does it take 'em a full year? 
Have you ever checked how many taverns I build?  ;) ;D

Chon Waen

Hmm... If your main industry is import fruit/export ale and mine is the same, there HAS to be some places they go in-btween, otherwise neither of us get what we need!

Chon Waen

The reason the fae bit works so well is cause it gets covered by PFM.

irrelevant

Quote from: Chon Waen on March 09, 2015, 06:38:59 PM
The reason the fae bit works so well is cause it gets covered by PFM.
Participatory Forestry Management? Packet Forwarding Module? Port Filtering Mode? Public Financial Management? Plan For Maintenance? Prison Fellowship Ministries? Porcelain Fused to Metal? Preventive Fleet Maintenance? Polyurethane Fiberglass Mat? Parts Forecasting Model? Personnel Files Maintenance? Precision Flight Mode? Pink Floyd Meddle? Printer Font Metrics? Probabilistic Forecast Model? Planning and Financial Management (my field)? Please Forgive Me?

Ah. Pure Freaking Magic.

Ross Rossford

The Invisible Hand of the Market plucks the merchant up just after they get offscreen and takes a year or so to carry them back to the start.