News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Parkinston - RKEC Jack and Jill

Started by irrelevant, August 13, 2019, 07:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

This is an extremely hard start, a young couple in the wilderness with nothing at all. No buildings, no food, no tools, no clothing, no seeds, no livestock, no phone, no lights, no motor-cars!

Image 1: the build order at the start is non-negotiable. A stockpile (I did 2x4). A tiny barn. Put them in a spot where there isn't too much stuff to clear out; your toolless couple will take forever to do anything, but they do clear out fodder/thatch fairly well. Then you go look for food (using Collect Wild Food in Removal and Destruction Tools), you'll most likely need to range pretty far for this. Be careful not to try to collect too much at once, your guys will starve while they are doing it. You'll need them to return to the barn with their first batch of collected food before the end of early summer late spring, that's when they'll die if they haven't eaten.

Once you've stored 100 food or so (and maybe some nearby firewood, collected the same way, using Collect Dead Wood), collect enough logs and stone for a woodcutter. You'll most likely be able to gather enough Dead Wood for the first winter, but you don't want to count on dead wood for the second. Just by clearing out building footprints, you should harvest enough fodder/thatch to turn into firewood to get you through the second winter.

Every month or two, look for wild food and dead wood. Don't send them too far away or to collect more than maybe four-six red squares at once.  They will starve, or maybe freeze, just to mix things up.

You also need to collect logs/stone, and build a wooden house. Delay this as long as you can, it will probably start burning firewood immediately, and the first child will come soon after (1 more mouth to feed). You must get it done before your guys spend a month two months in sub-50F weather or they will die. If you haven't managed to collect any firewood, your house won't do you any good, you will die anyway.

eta: you probably could switch the build order of chopper and gatherer, the gatherer will collect some firewood, maybe enough to get you through the winter, but maybe not. I found collecting wild food to be more reliable than collecting dead wood, YMMV

Image 2: the next build is a gatherer. You can't rely on wild food for the next year, as you most likely will have a child to feed as well. Set one guy to gathering while the other prepares to build the blacksmith. Clear the footprint and collect building materials with the laborer while the gatherer stores at least 300 food (and most likely some firewood as well). Bank a total of at least 75 firewood. Then have both your guys concentrate on building the smith. It probably will take most of the year to do this. You can see at Early Spring 3 I was still working on the smith and collecing iron ore.

Image 3: make tools! And breathe a sigh of relief. Your pain will now become just a dull ache. Once your have 6-8 tools made, shut down the smith and use the gatherer and the chopper to bank enough food and firewood for the next winter, and collect logs and stone for your next builds, a hunter and a sawmill. You must have a hunter because you need fur and/or leather to make coats, and meat for a complete diet. You must have a sawmill because building the tailor requires lumber (for now, don't make more than the 36 lumber needed for the tailor). By now you will have a new uneducated worker. With any luck you will be able to get him to work as a hunter. This will reduce your fur and leather production, but that is unimportant because the hunter will produce like gangbusters anyway.

Image 4: assuming you have managed to get the uneducated child into the hunting cabin, you will be free to build the tailor, make some coats, and breathe another sigh of relief. Rotate one of your educated parents between chopper (keep turning thatch into firewood, you may need to go collect some thatch), smith, and tailor, while the other works at gathering. Collect enough logs and stone for a second house and a second tiny barn.

Image 5: oh, you crazy kids.

moonbelf

You certainly have a solid routine worked out here!

irrelevant

Quote from: moonbelf on August 13, 2019, 07:46:38 PM
You certainly have a solid routine worked out here!
This start is unforgiving, the most challenging I have seen. There is not much breathing-space here for fiddling around. ;)

I think this start would be impossible in The North. But @Nilla may have other opinions. :D

brads3

was that a fun struggle? the mini building mod would have helped you since those workshops are small. they work quite well with an A&E start 2 bannies don't need the big buildings, just a quick workshop. or to help the food,TOM's quick hunter or fisherman mods. you took the hard start and the hard way.

irrelevant

Quote from: brads3 on August 13, 2019, 08:23:59 PM
was that a fun struggle? the mini building mod would have helped you since those workshops are small. they work quite well with an A&E start 2 bannies don't need the big buildings, just a quick workshop. or to help the food,TOM's quick hunter or fisherman mods. you took the hard start and the hard way.
It was fun! And still is. I've played with those mini buildings, and thought about them while doing this, but I wanted to do it the hard way, as you say.

RedKetchup

sad year 5 without school... should have been done before the first child get to 10 ^^

joking / nice start :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Well done @irrelevant. You solved the puzzle well. It´s a nice and challenging start. I´ve played with it too but I let them collect wild food much longer. It´s quite reliable but more tedious so your way is more comfortable but I agree that wild firewood is more a bonus, you´ll need the cutter soon. There is a similar start in the North where they have nothing from the start. The difference is that there are 2 couples and here you need a house (and some firewood) really fast (maybe unless you play it on mild) they freeze to death before they starve. Even more challenging but possible to manage.

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 13, 2019, 09:57:20 PM
sad year 5 without school... should have been done before the first child get to 10 ^^

joking / nice start :)
I know you hate seeing those uneducated bannies  ;)

This is my second try at this, the first one was stopped because I built the wrong barn and the baskets of herbs (or maybe they were flowers) were being left uncollected on building footprints. In that one I was trying to get the school built for that first child but I could see I wasn't going to make it. I think leaving the first two uneducated is better anyway, you get more workers early

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on August 13, 2019, 11:12:06 PM
Well done @irrelevant. You solved the puzzle well. It´s a nice and challenging start. I´ve played with it too but I let them collect wild food much longer. It´s quite reliable but more tedious so your way is more comfortable but I agree that wild firewood is more a bonus, you´ll need the cutter soon. There is a similar start in the North where they have nothing from the start. The difference is that there are 2 couples and here you need a house (and some firewood) really fast (maybe unless you play it on mild) they freeze to death before they starve. Even more challenging but possible to manage.
Thanks @Nilla. I'll have to give that one a try sometime, I really enjoy these challenging starts. I remember a couple of years ago playing the North when it first came out. I don't recall if my guys all starved the first try and froze the second, or vice versa, but it definitely took a completely different way of approaching the start.

irrelevant

Early Spring 10

Got three families now. After brother and sister Marlisle and Kaden set up housekeeping together, uncle Cliver and niece Emelisha got together once their education was complete. Uneducated Kaden absolutely refuses to work as a hunter, gatherer, or teacher, all of which jobs are closest to her home. Instead, she insists on being blacksmith, tailor, or woodcutter. She enjoys wasting valuable resources, it gives her a feeling of power. She also likes swapping out as a laborer to spoil the harvest of surface stone, cotton, and flax. Her uneducated husband/brother Marlisle, in contrast, has been very content with his job as gatherer, he understands his uses and they are few. ;)

Cliver and Emelisha on the other hand make an excellent team, the one making firewood from thatch and the other turning it into charcoal. If only Kaden had the same sense of community.

Looks like poor Rodolph the teacher is going to be a bachelor all his days, no sisters, nieces, or cousins in the offing for him.

Plenty of food and fuel. More tools and coats on the way when needed. The cemetery is ready.

RedKetchup

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 15, 2019, 05:06:00 AM
looking good :)
Thanks, Red!

Late Autumn 11: having had enough of Kaden's shenanigans, I built a house directly in the forest group and evicted the uneducated couple into it. Kaden meekly accepted her exile and became the huntress. Her (educated) son Rodolf moved into his parents' former digs directly across from the school, and when she became a student, his sister Princess moved in with him (ahem). As she was the lone girl and had four male cousins, I was considering firing the teacher when she started to school (she would have been the only student) in order to get some more pop going, but just before she turned 10, her sister Erlee was born. So Princess will receive an education after all. Just as well, I was uneasy about having another uneducated young lady who might follow her mother's example of willful resource-wasting.

Wanting to get some trade going, and I was eyeing perfume as a likely trade good (have so many flowers!). But in order to build a parfumerie I need bricks, and perfume needs glassware and water, so that means I need a sand pit, a clay pit, a glass maker, a brick kiln, and a water tower. So perfume will have to wait until I get a lot more workers. Maybe I'll just sell firewood and/or lumber, and hope a merchant brings some bricks.

irrelevant

Quote from: irrelevant on August 15, 2019, 04:42:30 PM
Wanting to get some trade going, and I was eyeing perfume as a likely trade good (have so many flowers!). But in order to build a parfumerie I need bricks, and perfume needs glassware and water, so that means I need a sand pit, a clay pit, a glass maker, a brick kiln, and a water tower. So perfume will have to wait until I get a lot more workers. Maybe I'll just sell firewood and/or lumber, and hope a merchant brings some bricks.
I did build a perfumery, but I found out that it required copper, not bricks. Copper is much easier to come by.

Sand=>glassware/glass, + water and flowers =>perfume, TV=8, is an excellent early trade good, since there are tons of flowers which you collect with no effort at all (gatherer, forester), plus glass/glassware is the next advanced construction mat you need after copper and lumber. 

By Late Summer 25, also have built a stone mine, a random mine, a smelter, a stable, and some greenhouses. Also have a fodder/herb/flower operation going across the river. At this point Jack and Jill have become just another early RKEC town. Not sure whether I'll continue or not, although this is a very interesting map, with the biggest lake I have ever seen (map info in Image 3).

irrelevant

Late Autumn 27: moving the forest group farther out to get a full circle.

Added a second perfumery. I really like these.

Have a decent stock of gems, gold, and silver; can start making jewelry at any time. Random quarries are fun.

RedKetchup

lot of chains have been meditated long time :) i think i made good :)