News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

How to Decide what The Buildings are Made Out Of (Realistic)

Started by KIM16, December 07, 2018, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KIM16

I was thinking that wood tiles can be made in the lumber mill (timber mill) , stone tiles would be collected by stone cutters in stone mines as an option instead of stone (quarrys) and brick tiles would be made by brickworks. That way the modders don't have to make more buildings since most already have these. And players wouldn't be lost by having too many buildings to manage. :)

KIM16

Something along those lines can be added for complexity but ofc its just an idea

baskets to upgrade gatherer and herbalist
bows and arrows to upgrade hunter
barrels to build a tavern or upgrade it
crates to upgrade storage buildings
candles to build advanced churches
leather to build windmill, cloth to upgrade windmill and hospital
ship to build advanced bigger trader
benches to upgrade school

RedKetchup

Quote from: theonlywanderer on December 11, 2018, 10:34:00 AM
Quote from: brads3 on December 11, 2018, 06:38:30 AM
1 house might take him a week of playing and working just to see a finished building.

Please tell me you are exaggerating here?

all depends of the details. an house can maybe go up to maybe 8-16 hrs of work... (which is 1 to 2 days of work depending how you can squeeze those hours in most few days)

but when you do more specialized building, it can take alot more time, up to a week easily. you can build a box, and put a roof on top of it and pretend this is "this" or this is "that" but ... without details, it can be anything, or , everything you want. just need to pretend.

last building i made, the armor maker building took me 3 days easily.

thats something about people dont know or they have hard to figure out when they ask for more. they think they can get everything with 1 or 2 hours of work from a modder. thats a lot more than that. it can be range from 2-3 days to a week. and whoever the modder, they have lives!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

KIM16

The developer build this game kinda quickly considering he was alone. I wonder how hard is it to build a game like this. :D I will try to learn 3ds max and see if I can make something. I always enjoyed creating architectural designs. What is harder to make a model or to code it into a game? :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: KIM16 on December 11, 2018, 12:46:20 PM
The developer build this game kinda quickly considering he was alone. I wonder how hard is it to build a game like this. :D I will try to learn 3ds max and see if I can make something. I always enjoyed creating architectural designs. What is harder to make a model or to code it into a game? :)

without experience, both can be hard. with experience, both are easy. details takes long though. there is a photoshop part too to add. you need textures, you need icons.

elemental

Quote from: RedKetchup on December 11, 2018, 12:29:32 PM
1 house might take him a week of playing and working just to see a finished building.

all depends of the details. an house can maybe go up to maybe 8-16 hrs of work... (which is 1 to 2 days of work depending how you can squeeze those hours in most few days)

Brad was talking about the time in-game to build a house.

I realise that making mods takes time and I'm always amazed at how quickly you and the other modders come up with new content. Thanks once again for all your efforts.

elemental

remember too that for each item a modder creates,they have to make a chain of buildings to make that item and then a city worth of buildings that needs that item for building.to create plaster might be just 1 or 2 buildings to process it.but now you need a city set of buildings that require that material. it would become a huge project.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. Yes, I would guess that some things would require a new chain. But some things could be made at an existing building, like a blacksmith or lumber mill. Importing is always an option too, if you don't think a production chain is worth the effort.

not saying it is right or wrong. think many of the arguements  come from forcing everyone and all modders to change. there should be room here for both sides. no need to force ideas onto anyone.

Yes, a very small number of people here are going to permanently change the Banished modding constitution and force all modders to use all 6 material slots on each building. Penalty for non-compliance will be... banishment. They will be forced to go and mod for Simcity 2013 for the rest of their lives. :D

Seriously though... Nobody is (or could) force any modder to change his or her ways. Ideas are discussed and suggestions are made. If modders like an idea they might use it in their mods. It really is that simple.

RedKetchup

yup us too (modders) we count. and we can have our own idea. the best though, it is the discussion. everyone are evolving despending the contacts he has with exterior and the discussions he is participing :)

brads3

this depends how much time you play each daysomeone that ony has an hour a day,it could take that long.you set the building, then realize all the different materials. if that house includes "building supplies" then that needs to be supplied via more production 2 chains.that can mean you need pipes,an ore mine and foundry,etc.plus housewares which is higher grade furniture.
     now i wasn't talking an experienced player who would have built the various chains before placing that house.but someone who hasn't played it could very well place the house and then notice all that.

brads3

Quote from: KIM16 on December 11, 2018, 12:10:11 PM
I was thinking that wood tiles can be made in the lumber mill (timber mill) , stone tiles would be collected by stone cutters in stone mines as an option instead of stone (quarrys) and brick tiles would be made by brickworks. That way the modders don't have to make more buildings since most already have these. And players wouldn't be lost by having too many buildings to manage. :)

i don't think this would work. it is a good idea to use existing buildings however they already are designed and coded to produces lumber and firewood.the mod would have to be recoded to produce a new item.this can affect work time as well.there hve been discussions on the balancing betwen lumber out put and firewood due to both items using the same code for work times.adding a 3rd item would mean recoding and then tryng to rebalance the outputs.

coding takes modders a lot of time,each line has to be wrote the right way in several parts of the mod just to add a slight change. 

brads3

KIM,many of the items you list have been done or tried at least.i think TOM experimented with baskets and DS has has more options alsohe even has wagons that need wheels.not sure it was finished but i do rememeber him talking of a cement or plaster type material.candles are used to dig mines deeper.EB started to use pottery recently adding it to the apothecary.NECORA has the dory fishermen that need tools,traps,or nets. 

Tom Sawyer

I did not make baskets, Brad. They are for free in my mod. Discrepancy added them as a requirement for gatherers. He also made hunting and fishing gear which is close to Kims idea of bow and arrow. Barrels for taverns or breweries is also interesting since there was even a specialized profession for crafting them. CC has barrels already if I remember right.

Shingles from sawmills is probably the best option and not a big deal to add it to the code. Why not if a modder would want to add this material.

Discrepancy

This is all very interesting ;)

I'm taking note.

But some of this has already been said or suggested before... discussions go around in circles just like history.
And history has shown we all end up back at the resource limits.

Maldrick

Quote from: Discrepancy on December 11, 2018, 10:47:28 PM
And history has shown we all end up back at the resource limits.

Bingo.

Been lurking this thread since it started and haven't commented because this is really what it comes down to and I've been really busy working on a mod.  What can be modded and how, in the big picture, always goes back to the limits situation.

Thus far, the "standard" modded limits have been centered around what works with CC.  And it makes logical sense, in the big picture.  I would hazard a guess that more people would rather have more flexibility with what mods they run together.  Problem is, if you run fewer more specific mods, it creates a weird situation where there are simultaneously completely unused flags and not enough flags.  And how much of a problem this is largely depends on playstyle and what you are trying to do.

Personally, I don't have a set playstyle or set things I like to play with.  It depends on what day you catch me and what I'm currently into doing.  Mostly, it's no problem at all.  At times, it's insanely frustrating.  I've sat down with pen and paper and theoretically reworked the limits with different goals in mind probably a dozen times.  There are interesting things that can be done, but there has to be a focus because there aren't enough to do everything with everything.  Where that focus goes would heavily impact where modding for that set of limits goes.

Luke threw us a big bone with the 10 expanded limits.  But they came at a time where modding had already surpassed that. 20 or 30 would have been exponentially better.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

brads3

MALDRICK "....more people would rather have more flexibility....."

to me that is the key. it is more about the style of the buildings than what materials are needed.i could build a more advanced building ,would just take more planning or time.each of us have our own style of what we like, somewhat dependant on where we come from.depending on what we are doing from map to map,not all buidings fit.i know i always find myself searching thru my mods for something a little different than what i have.even with over 145 mods.

i can remember playing CC and the start gave me an odd grain,not all windmills would use it to make flour.might have been sorghum. i set a mill and after it was built that mill wouldn't work.so there was resources and time gone.seems like i built another mill with similar problem.the mill i needed required a material that i was no way ready to produce. the easy cheap buildings do have their place and are needed.