News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Malloy Flats - An Exercise in Design (and Overusing Mods)

Started by Mahnogard, October 07, 2014, 09:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 08, 2014, 05:21:17 PM
if we gonna split them, then we will get some conflict 'red' since we will do the same toolbars over and over in each modules (splited part). when i ll retouch it before the end, i ll do a seperate package. 1 for fences, 1 for trees, 1 for flowers, 1 for statues, and 1 for walls, 1 for random items. and you ll choose what you want to add. and you ll just have to ignore the warnings, and cross your fingers that it doesnt crash the game :)

@RedKetchup, your mod packages work well together, so don't get too worried about splitting them up. One can hope that the menus situation can be worked out, but I'm not horribly optimistic. I look at my SimCity 4 menus and they are a mess of stuff that takes a long, long time to scroll through. I could cut them down by using less custom content, but I really, really need all that stuff.  ;)

Anyway, the point is, @RedKetchup, you are doing great. Don't change your approach yet. Logical groupings are good; putting a bunch of stuff together that goes off in all directions at once, not so good.

Mahnogard

Quote from: ivorymalinov on October 09, 2014, 01:13:09 AM
Wow, I really should give mods another go.  Although I find a couple of the roads a bit "glare-y"

Haven't had much luck with mods so far outside of @RedKetchup 's ones, the rest eventually lead to a CTD. :(

It really is fun to have new possibilities to play with in design. I have since torn up some of those roads and replaced them with other colors so it's more like a "splash" of color instead of "omg my eyes are bleeding". I also added some of RedKetchup's trees to soften up the geometry. I'll post some updated screenshots later.

I am running several mods and everything seems stable - not a single crash on this game, and I'm at about year 40 I think. But a lot of that is luck, and also careful choosing, and who knows what will happen as the town keeps growing. The only problem I ran into was with Shock Puppet's textiles mod - the cotton crop slows everything down because it needs improved models, but he's aware of it for his next update. So I just plant flax for right now.

Mahnogard

slink

That's beautiful, @Mahnogard.  Coming from a background of Caesar, Pharaoh, and Children of the Nile, I really like those roads.   :)

Mahnogard

Thanks @slink ! :) Now that I'm using your markets & Elfecutioner's small vendor buildings, I plan to have a go at this map again to see where the new design options lead me. My last couple of maps (including the one I'm playing now) have been a bit of a mess. Lack of reliance on the placement of large markets caused me to go in the complete opposite direction - total decentralization. Hopefully I can find a happy medium.

I played a lot of CotN back in the day. Even own the Steam version now.

slink

I bought CoTN late, on clearance.  The funny part was that a dear friend of mine in the UK also bought it on clearance at the same time.  I ended up with the UK version and she ended up with the US version.