News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A question for the community

Started by Okiepat, September 11, 2019, 10:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiepat

Why do so many people not use all the food preparation features in mods like CC and MegaMod or Red Ketchup? I've watched and enjoyed literally hundreds of Banished videos on Youtube, most featuring the larger, more popular mods. One thing they all seem to have in common is that people either do not use or wait until the mid-to-late game to utilize the various food preparation features to extend their food supply. CC has butchers for everything from cows to bison to deer which can be built in the early game and I've yet to see anyone use them. There are smokers which when built with a cooper also greatly extend the amounts of meat and fish. I've seen people build the tinneries and soup kitchens but then rarely use them. I've seen person after person build a dozen or more crop fields trying to extend their food supply when it is low and people are dying of starvation. But crop fields only harvest once a year and have little long term impact on an already faltering food supply. Or they build fishing buildings next to each other or next to bridges and buildings who encroach on their radius and then wonder why the yield of the original building went down.

There are so many talented people in the Banished communities who have given us amazing features that greatly extend the replayability of the game. I wish more people would explore areas other than the industrial and decoration sections.

Nilla

Just because you make a video on YouTube doesn´t mean that you´re a "Banished expert" and play Banished in "the best" way. (I´m not sure this "best way" exists but that´s another matter, a lot of different ways to play do work). I can´t speak much of CC, it´s been a long time since I played it and at the beginning, some of the processes were really bad, some even destroyed value. As far as I know, much has changed in later versions but maybe this may still hold people back. But for example, if you´re playing one of Red´s mods, food processing makes very much sense; small beautiful buildings, increase the amount of food. You may have some logistic problems; to transport your raw materials to the sites but problems are there to be solved, so I agree with you. Process your food! Fun and profitable.

TaylorItaly

Meat Tiinery for Fisch and one for Duck are always the first of my earliest buildings.
The Smoke house and that one from the North are also very good.
I manage to go with the food reserve from 3000 to 15000 in the most cases.
That is the basic structure for my Town Grow!!

(Playing RKECFull and CC1.76 and 75 other Mods)

brads3

i think there are several reasons. you have to find a playstyle that works for you. as NILLA said CC has a different formula for values. the mod was made to increase trade values with all the different items. nowadays,most mods increase food outputs. in CC you might get a cake that has a high trade value,but the processors woud have gave less cakes than the initial wheat grain. food production would go down.

each step in the process takes workers and a building.in early game you need those workers somewhere else. usually to expand the town.trading post,logs,and stone are more needed than cookies.  soe of the processing buildings require different materials to build and those might not be available or are saved for some other project.

in the case of videos, all workers will be sent to clear land and build.that way you see constant progress and expansion in the video. you may have many years of gametime cut into a 15 minute video.lot more happens behind the scenes so to speak than what the video might show.

theonlywanderer

Yeah, there are a lot of bad players for every game out there, but sometimes I think they act that way just to fake it and create drama.... "Oh look at me struggle to play this game".   I don't think it takes much observation to notice how many inept people get millions of subscribers.  Seems to be the norm, the bigger the idiot, the bigger their fan base.  But you do have some that will straight up not research anything just to "keep it real".... LOL!   To each their own, right?

My biggest annoyance is trying to evaluate a game and the person playing never shuts up and is constantly saying... "Should I do this...no no... I should put it here... but if I do that... no, let's put it over here..... what do you think, let me know in the comments"...   it's so absolutely annoying.   It's like every decision is life altering for them.   Just place the friggin house already and move on! 

But yeah, I am a huge fan of product chains and complexity and will use as many as I can.   CC completely revamped the game for me and then I found Megamod which has even more options.    I enjoy the idea of using wheat to make flour to make bread and then mixing flour with other items like cheese, butter, sugar....  to make other items.   I really like the butcher, tinnery, and smoker options for sure.   So many options, it's great.    It's nice to be able to use everything to fill out each little area differently.

I also enjoy the bronze tool product chain since you need a tin ore mine, copper ore mine, fuel refinery and foundry.   And then you need candles and lamp oil to extend the life of the mines.