News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Kid's Workshop

Started by kid1293, January 24, 2020, 05:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galensgranny

Kid has a mod that has the kind of mountain houses you are looking for, @VickyLeZiegler - it is Kid's Fairy Tale at http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=536.  The mountain houses stick into mountains and have steps leading up to the houses.  This Fairy Tale mod will make some changes to the game start conditions if you have it at the top of your mod list.  If you don't want the game changes, just put the mod further down in the mod list.

VickyLeZiegler

Thank you for the quick response. I know the Brigdemod and have already tried to visually recreate a building on hills, unfortunately it doesn't seem quite real. The beautiful houses from the Fairy Tale mod unfortunately fit visually badly to the other types of houses. Surely we now have a lot of time for many new ideas. I'm excited. This is a really lively community :) :) :)

kid1293

Artfactial

Hey Kid.:)
I have a few ideas, I don't know how much work they would be for you but I thought I'd run them by you.

I have been wanting a paper or print production kind of building for a long while but few mods touch on that subject. Do you think it would be possible to make an early paper mill in the style of your Colonial Modular buildings?:)
It would need to be next to water for use in the paper baths and running of the pulp mill.
Building resource would be wood(or planks) for the clapboards and framework but quite some stone(or brick) for at least the lower half of the mill and the grinder. Some iron for the paper mesh.
Production resources don't need to be very fancy a decent amount of wood and work.
Finished paper stack products would be expansive trading luxury goods. Maybe it would be fun to add different quality papers(some with beeswax?).
What do you think, would that be a fun project?:)

Here's some images of early colonial industry mills.

First paper mill in Philadelphia(1690).

another paper mill from the same area(build 1701).

First water textile mill of its kind(1797, Rhode Island), which would make a nice paper mill model. 

Another, kind of weird, addition I would like is separate chimneys and roof windows to add as decoration and variation to your Colonial Houses, like EB has done in the Village House Addon Set.
I really like how this allows you to create little modifications to houses to give them a more personal touche.:)
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=517

Thanks for letting us bother you with requests and I hope that I am not asking too much!

kid1293

Hi, @Artfactial  I can not leave you without an answer.

I am a bit away from modding Banished right now. I feel it is too much for me to handle.
A paper mill is more in Discrepancy's direction. I think it would suit the Banished timescale
but I can not muster up the will/energy to do it.

About separate chimneys. My Colonial roofs are very different from each other.
It would take a lot of chimney's to cover them. ;D

As I said. I am taking an extended break. (actually in Morrowind) :)

Artfactial

Hey, thanks for the reply!:)

I can totally see why modding is a strain(I mod a lot for other games), so taking time off is very healthy.
Paper mills might indeed fit well if Discrepancy's Industry project, though I was aiming for a less industrial, more colonial version which fits your style well.:)
DS hasn't been around for a while so hope everything is alright and that he might return again.
But again, I fully understand why you're taking a break.

I...hadn't actually thought of the fact that those buildings are all very diverse.
The way EB went about it was by making a very tall floating chimney that would go through the roof of most buildings, but I can see why that would be a lot of hassle with the Modular Colonial collection.:P

Again, thanks for your reply and we will be awaiting your return.
Morrowind is a wonderful place to take a location, if you don't anger the Ordinators and stay away from the Cliffracers.;)
Have fun and stay safe!

Tom Sawyer

I've googled this a bit and it seems your first picture shows the homestead of the Rittenhouse family who built that first paper mill around 1700. Next to it the small bakehouse and across the bridge on the second picture the actual mill, obviously in a later stage where it was already out of service and without the wheel. It is written that they used flax from a weaving mill in next village as raw material. Would be a nice connection to the flax chain that many mods have.

If nobody wants to make it, I might be interested. Would start with a concept in SketchUp to see if it can be done.

Artfactial

Yes, it's a very interesting story! I was looking over the 1752 Philadelphia map yesterday and noticed Germantown and nearby paper-mills and got excited to know that they had paper production that early on.:) The town being settled by Germans and the American paper tradition being started by Dutch-German immigrants is amazing.
The 1922 illustration is sadly indicative of how many early buildings fare; 17th century constructions are very rare.
I did not know about the flax, but that makes a lot of sense, awesome!:)

You're a hero. If you could find the time and motivation for it I'd be incredibly grateful. Let me know if I can help in any way!

taniu

A great idea and project to do this mod @Tom Sawyer :-\. Congratulations behind successful project.Greetings

kid1293

Hi.
I fixed two icons and uploaded the files (on the first page). Nothing serious :)

They are the separate Awning Covers and the Groundcover files

kid1293

Twice in the same day :)

An update to Deco 01 with more rocking chairs and an added sunflower.

kid1293

Nothing serious. I just moved all Workshop icons to my Toolbar/Misc
The Deco section is rather full and the complete Workshop was already there.

MarkAnthony

Good day @kid1293 ,   :D
Just to confirm, the KidWorkshop in your second post includes all nine of the individual smaller files right?
Thank you.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

kid1293

Yes, I try to keep it updated.
I have more and I can say I will update as soon as possible.
But again, yes, the Workshop file should contain all :)

Sending cool thoughts :) :)

MarkAnthony

Thanks.

... and thank you for the cool thoughts too! It's 118 F right now at 1:24 pm in Arizona. Death Valley California had 130F just the other day! geesh!

My girlfriend Lynn who I am getting to play Banished - after downloading your Ice Castle and Friendly Blue and Christmas mods asked me why are we playing in a snow climate? (She hates the cold.) I replied only as I could - (Duuhhh!!! as I thought to myself) - "Because it's hot as hell out! I need to be/feel like I am somewhere cold and refreshing!"   ::) :P
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.