News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Cemetaries

Started by irrelevant, June 16, 2014, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

So I've been building cemetaries here and there. Just keeping ahead of death, as far as I know, no one has died who has not also been buried.

I've got this big piece of prime real estate with stone already there. Space there now for 400 (already mostly full), and I just keep building more plots. I hate doing it, but I'm committed to it now.

Do you bury all your dead? If you do not, what effect has it had on your happiness?

As an aside, I have posted today talking about having 1600 pop. Obviously that was incorrect, and obviously my memory has some incompleteness!

RedKetchup

i dont burry all my deads :( only put a little one here and there so they can go get some happiness  :-[
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

I always build cemetery by year 10, when I can expect the first of the settlers to die off. In a recent game, I had a guy whose wife died in child birth. He had half a star for the rest of his life, never took another wife although plenty were available. Poor guy never recovered. Made me a big believer in cemeteries.

irrelevant

I'm just wondering, is it worth it to bury absolutely everyone? Eventually you can fill the map with graveyards.

Bobbi

With the new patch, decay rate is much higher. I don't think my maps are overtaken with cemeteries. I find smaller ones rather picturesque. I guess it depends on your play style. I like really happy, healthy people, and don't care for the really crammed together look. Except for on certain challenges, anyway.

nmid

Just to point out, though @Bobbi is correct that the bereaved relatives take a steep hit to happiness, widows never marry even if you do have a cemetery.
I also build my cemetery early, to catch the 1st deaths between year 10-13.

@Bobbi, I agree.. The new patch makes it easier to manage your dead.
I have planned to shift to smaller cemeteries instead of my central cemetery, as they also double as idling grounds for citizens.

irrelevant

Yeah well, a quick census of my town shows over 1000 graves, and more die constantly. That's why I'm asking about it. I can fill up a 20x19 cemetary in a couple of years.

nmid

Thankfully the new patch resets the grave stone in about 7 years iirc.. so once you hit a sweetspot of cemetery spots to match the number of people dying yearly, you won't need to build more.

irrelevant

I wasn't sure that actually was happening, but now that you mention it, I see for the first time cemetaries that were full now with a vacancy here and there. Good news!

slink

In 1.0.0 I built my cemeteries to hold a number of dead equal to the maximum number of living.  I don't know how the cemeteries perform in 1.0.3, other than that they free up spaces more rapidly.  Also, obviously the capacity has to be higher if the people are dying of causes other than old age and the occasional death in childbirth.

All of my widows remarry, if there is a man available of an appropriate age.  My impression is that the ages have to be within 20 people-years of each other.

Bobbi

From what I have seen, if you have a cemetery when I woman dies is childbirth, and the widow has high happiness when she dies, he quickly remarries. And I mean QUICKLY. Poor woman barely has one foot in the grave and he is shacking up with a new wife.

irrelevant

Quote from: Bobbi on June 17, 2014, 06:03:05 AM
From what I have seen, if you have a cemetery when I woman dies is childbirth, and the widow has high happiness when she dies, he quickly remarries. And I mean QUICKLY. Poor woman barely has one foot in the grave and he is shacking up with a new wife.
@Bobbi  Of course he does, a pixel has needs. Surely you don't expect him to do his own food-gathering, do you?  ;)

rkelly17

In the Allberger Diaries town the first death in childbirth caught me off guard before a cemetery was built. The male remarried so quickly I didn't see it happen even though I paused the game as soon as the death notice came up. He took no hit in happiness. The happiness hit seems to be related to how quickly the remarriage happens, because I've had some like @Bobbi where the widower never remarried and had one star until he died. Contrary to @nmid's experience my widows and widowers remarry if there is someone available within 15 years or so. I'm not sure of the precise number, but it may well be as high as 20. I saw this all the time in the Allberger town because I was keeping careful track of each citizen. In fact, in that town more remarried than did not--and if someone was not available right away they would marry the next widow of the opposite sex. One ol' bugger had three wives before he kicked off himself. As @irrelevant says, even pixels have needs.

mariesalias

I start to build my first cemetery when the original settlers are about 40. As long as there are no accidental deaths, this times it to be built before the first death (from old age). I try to keep an eye on cemeteries to see when I need to start building a new one but occasionally I will forget until I notice the town's happiness has dropped to 4.5. Then I usually have to wait until those people die to get it back up to 5, unless i have not built a Chapel or something yet.

They empty out much faster then they used to. It is a welcome change to me, I still need them to keep happiness high but they don't take over my map.

Kaldir

In 1.0.3 they empty much faster, as many have said here. As an example: my town had 790 citizens alive in year 68, with 234 graves in use. That could fit into two large cemeteries (I have multiple small ones though).

I've seen my original graveyard, a tiny one with room for just 33 graves, sometimes only filled about half.