News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

is ~2000 Max Population? Feedback on Utopia

Started by Raegwyn, July 12, 2014, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raegwyn

So yeah after going for max population on my 3rd Map i finally reached 2000 population. It´s kinda laggy and all and ofc i didnt place anything perfectly. but i guess i cant increase the population anymore without collapsing it. My map is pretty much full. There is just a tiny bit of space left which might allow another 100 people or so... but thats it then.

On such a big populated map you see the way this game is programmed. the pathing system doesnt really work properly or did i do something wrong? My farmers sometimes prefer to work damn far away at a crop field next to someone elses house while they have a crop field next to their own house, and the guy whos living next to the field they are working also prefers to go damn far away and work on another field. That´s something that keeps me away from making this map as efficent as possible.

So yeah im wondering if anyone else got to 2000 yet or further? whats the maximum population that you can keep stable? Whats the highest pop you guys reached?

Also i would love to get some feedback on what i could improve for more efficency, since there is still a lot i dont know about this game yet.
My save is below, would love if you guys check it out.

PS: i know i got way to much storage barns^^

RedKetchup

some people say if you have too many barns it lag... i dunno , i never could clearly verified this.

i agree with you about when you start to get 2k, very often the city is inefficient and can drop at any time. you need to make sure you will never lack of anything.
and also you need to be sure you have some extra 'unassigned' laborers in every zone. to not get some people living the other side of the map coming to fill the jobs in an other part of the city. extra everywhere help to get quicker, closer jobs properly filled.

and you need to be really patient and have a golden angelic patience :) cause everything slow down terribly. if like me you are used to play at 2x, you ll see a such drop that you ll have the impression its now 0.5x.

i have a city with 2400 pop. it takes 90 mins to make 1 year on my PC /shrug. thats slow.

My town is Geronimo. seed '7505'  and i have presently 2414 citizens on this screenshot. in my save game i have 276 nomads waiting an answer from me at my Townhall ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Raegwyn

wow good job will check yout town out tomorrow. that seems interesting.

Well im used to play at 10x which feels like 2x at this stage on my map.

And dont get my wrong i didnt want general advice for large pop maps. i wanted advice for my map like: too much markets, houses to close to each other, too less trade posts, ale shouldnt be made from wheat, try out the new 4x5 farms and stuff like that. i want to know what i did wrong or what i can do better next time.

Still thanks for you answer. And how come you have so many Familys? i have about as much Familys as i have Houses. i guess you took many Nomads right?

RedKetchup

it is a very very nice seed :) i love it. it run super smooth (to compare to mine, mine is alot more laggy)
but ya .... all those barns :)

RedKetchup

personally, i am probably not enough good to compare to you, you seems better than me .....
what i would do : delete 30%-50% of your barns, and use the space for more crops. i would also delete 1 hospital, the one just side of a big crowdy stone road connecting with a tunnel. it spreads out disease very quickly to everyone who takes that road. i tend to put them away from everything and reserving some space all around. you have more trading post than i use, i use 3-4 max

RedKetchup

yeah that town has been made just for a challenge : http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=214.0 be the one who accept the most nomad in 1 shot and survive it 1 full year.
this is why my 'education' isnt good.

JimmiG

My biggest town has reached 2,000 a few times but hasn't stabilized there yet. It tends go up when there's a baby boom or nomad invasion, only to drop to about 1,600 when some of the old folks die off. I'm currently building a satellite town in the last empty corner of the map to get some more housing.

Pathing seems to work reasonably well for me. I get the occasional long-distance commuter, but the majority work near their house. Keep in mind, if District A on the map has more workplaces than houses, some people from District B will start to work there. Then there might not be enough nearby workers for all the workplaces in District B (because they already picked up a vacant job in District A), which means people will have to commute from District C etc. So make sure all your satellite towns have an adequate housing to workplace ratio. The problem might lie in some completely different part of the map.

The game stutters a tiny bit for me, but it's still very playable at 1,600 - 2,000 people. Having an i7 4770K at 4.5 GHz probably helps  :)

RedKetchup

my biggest town, Geronimo just jumped to 2625 :) next time nomads will show up i think i ll hit 3k lol