News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Some ideas for mods and some questions about making mods

Started by tanypredator, May 09, 2016, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: tanypredator on May 10, 2016, 09:51:27 AM
There would be more questions, I'm afraid :) Sorry if it take some time.

no problem :)

i always come check in here once or 2 times per day to see if something special :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

kid1293

:) Glad to help.

My knowledge is also limited. I have to ask for help too.
I will answer as clear as I can.

tanypredator

kid1293, I was able to repeat your DebugMenu mod, thank you very much!

Now I have just downloaded 3d-software "blender" and I am going to try to open some .fbx models with it.

I have a question. There are some .fbx files in examples and in your mods here (http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=90), but I can't find the game's own models. Are they really unavailable? And is there any possability to open game's animation files (which I can't find too)?

kid1293

Glad to hear that you were able to do the example.

Sorry to tell this - Luke never gave us his resources. (textures, models, animations...)

Blender is really another thing to begin with.
I tested .fbx files and tried to model for over a year until
I told myself to read the manual. I read a couple of pages
and then it was back to trying. One day I managed to get a model
into the game. It was useless :) You can find the thread about
Garden Shed in the forum. Then I got help and slowly started to
solve my problems one by one.

I wish you luck, though, but take your time and be comfortable with
Banished Modkit and know it's limits. That way you don't start too
large projects with Blender. I do houses now but I can not learn how
to curve a wall so it's always square.

tanypredator

Thank you again, kid1293. I agree that I should begin with something more simple, only most simple things are already done :) But surely I'll study them. However I'll have to learn to use such prorgams as blender if I want to do any interesting mod, and that is good motivation to study :)

Tom Sawyer

Hello,

welcome to modding and keeping alive this nice game. It's fun to do something with the game. But it can also be frustrating. Creating new 3d models is the high art of modding and difficult, if you're inexperienced. My respect for the guys who create good models. It is a pity that the developer does not share his models. But I can understand it. It's hard work to make it in this quality. I agree with Kid and recommend you to start with something simple to get to know the modkit, step by step. From your suggestion list the best part to start is to make new clothes for the citizens, for example. It is really horrible to see them in winter.

RedKetchup

you have 1 animal/animation available : the chicken leghorn example in your example folder
about blender i will never be able to help you out with it, i always used 3dsMAX

if you are still student, you can get it free.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

tanypredator

Tom Sawyer, thank you. I would like to change citizen's clothes, but seems to be that it is only possible to give them one complect for all seazons. Maybe there is some hidden way to make their clothes changing, but a noob like me couldn't find it. And I think it too would require 3d-modelling.

RedKetchup, I have chosen blender because I found some mentions that it can import and export .fbx files, and it is free, and it has animation too. I'll try to to study it's manual, and use it. If I fail, I'll search for some other software, but I'm not a student.

Just for now I'm thinking of one small mod, that shouldn't be very hard to do, and would require very small 3d-model: something like a campfire, 1*1 circle of stones having fire effect, increasing happiness and (maybe) used to get warm. That means I'll have to make this circle and then mostly to use code for well with some modifications.

Why there are so many .rsc files for each mod, with cross-references? Why can't be all code written in one .rsc file?

Tom Sawyer

You are right. There is no way to change the look of clothes depending on seasons or temperature. But i think this is not a need. A need for me would be a change of the look by different kinds of clothes (leather coat, wool coat etc.) And item slots for pieces of clothing and for tools, like in a rpg. But this is a dream that will not come true.^^

The many files in the modkit make sence. Its a modular system. Just take it as it is.

tanypredator

While I am studing how to put a texture on the object in blender :) I've got one more question. I wanted to make very small mod that only changes the density of orchards to 2*2. I changed Orchard.rsc and it worked well, but when I tried to put it into a mod, it didn't build mod, because (as I understood) this Orchard.rsc references to many other files. So how can I make it into a mod? Should I copy all that files to which Orchard.rsc has references into my mod folder? And to put them into "ExternalList list" in the Package.rsc?

UPD. But the example mods don't contain everything to what their files have references.

kid1293

@tanypredator
Orchard does not need other files when just changing 'heightspacing'
There must be some other error.

Here is quick source for changing orchard to 2x2.
Check it and compare what you did.

Edit:
I may have a clue to what you did wrong.
You don't name the section you are changing right
so the program either tries to compile all of 'Orchard.rsc'
or there is an other mistake in 'Package.rsc'

I have added another file with an added change of size
now you can have a 1x1 orchard with a 2x2 spacing

Of course - if you build a 1x1 orchard you will have one tree only.  :)

tanypredator

Thank you very much, kid1293, that works perfectly!

I did all the same, only
"Template/Orchard.rsc:orchard"
was just
"Template/Orchard.rsc"

Can you please explain me, how could I know next time, which word must stay in that place?

kid1293

I was editing last post when you posted again so check two posts back.

There is a hint of how you must name it.
search for 'createdrag'

tanypredator

Eh, yes, thank you, sory for my stupidness  :-[

While waiting for your answer, I opened this Orchard.rsc and found

OrchardDescription orchard
{
   ResourceLimit _resourceLimit = Food;

int _widthSpacing = 2;
   int _heightSpacing = 2;
   float _growthPercentOnTend = 0.005;
}

kid1293

No problems, noone is stupid who ask for answers.  :)

The Pear Tree of Life. A whole community is guarding it!