News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Jamie's Monastery v 1.0

Started by RedKetchup, October 11, 2014, 05:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Quote from: michaelrym on October 20, 2014, 04:42:55 PM
I think we may be losing focus here. This game is about survival. If one can produce a surplus for trade, fine. But the way the mods are going, the game's being turned into a money-making machine. And there isn't even any money in the game!

I have read elsewhere an argument that it is stupid to make ale from wheat because it is a 'money-losing' proposition, or some such nonsense. The only currency that exists in-game is time. If it costs less time to cultivate wheat than fruit, then why not make ale from wheat?

So what's the argument here? There can only be one monastery but we want to make tons of money from the books, so let's set the production high? That's pure greed talking.

Same goes for the new trading mod (Jamie's?). It essentially increases the trading value of basic goods. What's the point? It's not enough to make the little people thrive, you gotta make them rich, too - is that it?

Changes like that threaten to completely obliterate the original character of the game.
You don't have to build a monastery if you think it is a moneymaking machine, or if you like the design of it, build it and let 1 monk make books. If you don't optimize the productionconditions too much (no house and market too close) the monk will make about 6 books in a year. It is your choice to use it in the way that fits your way to play and your philosophy of the game.

It is true, with a good location one monk can support 30 people. One full monastery can support 120 people. You have to build a lot of farms or fisherhuts for that.

BUT - I like this this.

Belive me right. I don't want an easy game. I want a diversified game. I want all the buildings to be interesting and useful in different types of game. To make a sense, make a difference to the game, not only look nice. (Except maybe some special decorative items).

This monastery is special, different from other buildings, you can only build one. This idea is brilliant.

I play much Banished. I have played a lot of different kind of games. Big ones; based on profit, fast ones; based on expansion, small and slow ones; based on the beauty of the game and everything in between. I enjoy all. I enjoy the diversity, the many possibilities of the game. For me, a new building is perfect, if it could take a place in all these different types of game. The monastery can. In a certain part of the game it makes a good profit and is than also helpful at a fast expansion. (well, if you have to support a couple of thousand Bannies through trade, it has no importance, but in an earlier part of the game, it has) it is beautiful and has its place in a slow beautiful game.

By the way. I seldom brew ale from wheat, too unprofitable ;). Only sometimes, just for the fun of offer German Weissbier to my population .

RedKetchup

i asked numbers, 2 good days before, where they were these 50-60 books per year when i asked for it :P
now all i can do maybe is reduce the number of monks ? to 2 ? to 3 ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 21, 2014, 05:14:35 AM
i asked numbers, 2 good days before, where they were these 50-60 books per year when i asked for it :P
now all i can do maybe is reduce the number of monks ? to 2 ? to 3 ?

Sorry my test-monastery wasn´t so high-productiv at the beginning and gave a bit low values. But from my point of wiev, I like it the way it is. It doesn´t bother me, if it in a short period of a game gives a good profit. But I would also like it if it had fewer monks.

michaelrym

@ Nilla

Absolutely agree that the monastery idea is brilliant.

Absolutely do not agree that turning Banished into Medieval Tycoon is brilliant.

If I knew how to mod the game, I wouldn't even say anything. I'd just change the mod to my liking.

But I can't mod Banished - I've got a 32-bit system, and I understand the modkit only works on 64 bit systems.

Let's sum it all up with a single word: whatever.

Nilla

Quote from: michaelrym on October 21, 2014, 07:49:56 AM
@ Nilla

Absolutely do not agree that changing Banished into Medieval Tycoon is brilliant.

If I knew how to mod the game, I wouldn't even say anything. I'd just change the mod to my liking.

But I can't mod Banished - I've got a 32-bit system, and I understand the modkit only works on 64 bit systems.

Let´s be honest. If we want to play it that way Banished is, in it´s original a Medival Tycoon, if we want to. The mods don´t make much to change that, in one or another direction.

But the great thing is that you don´t have to play it that way. Play it the way you like, use the mods you like. I have a philosophy about the game, too. Wrote about it inother thread, if you are interested. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=559.0

I don´t use  the mods that I think don´t fit into this philospphy. No big deal.

So you are right in your comment; whatever! :)

michaelrym

I don't have a philosophy about this or any other game. What I do have is some knowledge of game design, and the number one principle in game design, as in all creative endeavours, is this: stay true to your original vision. If you try to make something that will please everyone, you'll fail.

@ RedKetchup

Don't be influenced too much by all this talk. Good creative work is not done by committee. It is up to you to decide what the mod will be like, because it is your mod.

slink

You couldn't change distributed mods anyway.  There is no way to open a distributed mod file, at least not with the modding kit.  The person distributing the mod would have to also distribute the source code, the way SRS did with the original buildings, etc., when the mod kit was released.  Then you would build a mod modding the mod.

salamander

Is that true?  The mod kit contains Application-x32.profile.exe and Tools-x32.exe.  I haven't used them, but they're there.

Denis de la Rive

Quote from: Nilla on October 21, 2014, 08:07:36 AM
@ Nilla

Absolutely do not agree that changing Banished into Medieval Tycoon is brilliant.

Let´s be honest. If we want to play it that way Banished is, in it´s original a Medival Tycoon, if we want to. The mods don´t make much to change that, in one or another direction.

But the great thing is that you don´t have to play it that way. Play it the way you like, use the mods you like. I have a philosophy about the game, too. Wrote about it inother thread, if you are interested. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=559.0

I don´t use  the mods that I think don´t fit into this philospphy. No big deal.

So you are right in your comment; whatever! :)

The game is what you make of it, you can always give yourself limits in your game play that don't involve the way mods are made, if you read Red's comments about his different mods, you see that game balance has always been a factor, and the idea that his mods add to the game without replacing existing functions is a constant. As an example, use only one greenhouse, limit the number of monks, don't mine, etc. If the game is too easy try with disasters, I have, some of them are hard to deal with. I for one don't use cheats. Finally think about the visual aspect, make nice interesting unique towns.  :)

Bobbi

In my opinion it is not necessary to change the mod to fewer monks. Whoever heard of a big monastery with only one or two monks? Typically they should have many many monks. If a person wants fewer monks, use fewer monks. Your choice, to fit the vision of your game.

slink

Quote from: salamander on October 21, 2014, 08:21:41 AM

Is that true?  The mod kit contains Application-x32.profile.exe and Tools-x32.exe.  I haven't used them, but they're there.
That's true, they are in the zip file.