Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA of Snug Houses

Started by slink, October 13, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Quote from: rageingnonsense on October 28, 2014, 08:34:25 PM
@RedKetchup

Thanks so much for the detailed reply man! However, I do think that the position of the points node is actually centered not on object origin, but at the center of geometry, regardless of where it is in the file.

thats what i said, the group points. in 3ds you click and drag all the points to select them all and you create a group that you manually call : points. thats your 'points' node. the name doesnt have importance, you can call it whatever you want, till you name the group properly in the .rsc
it always get the 0,0,0

if you wanted the chimney at 15,15 and your group node points end at 10,6. then your group node will get the 0,0,0 status and if you still want you chimney at 15,15 you will need to add it so, the real smoke point must be at  25,21 on your map, screenmap of your blender.

about to have all your houses in 1 fbx and have all your smoke points... in that fbx.... cant help you out of saying : get a 30days trial  of 3dsmax the time you figure out :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 28, 2014, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: rageingnonsense on October 28, 2014, 08:34:25 PM
@RedKetchup

Thanks so much for the detailed reply man! However, I do think that the position of the points node is actually centered not on object origin, but at the center of geometry, regardless of where it is in the file.

thats what i said, the group points. in 3ds you click and drag all the points to select them all and you create a group that you manually call : points. thats your 'points' node. the name doesnt have importance, you can call it whatever you want, till you name the group properly in the .rsc
it always get the 0,0,0

if you wanted the chimney at 15,15 and your group node points end at 10,6. then your group node will get the 0,0,0 status and if you still want you chimney at 15,15 you will need to add it so, the real smoke point must be at  25,21 on your map, screenmap of your blender.

about to have all your houses in 1 fbx and have all your smoke points... in that fbx.... cant help you out of saying : get a 30days trial  of 3dsmax the time you figure out :)
Aha.  That is why our understandings are so different.  You only make a group named "points".  I actually make a dummy helper named "points" and make all of the others its children.  I do that because that is how it was done in apiary.FBX.  You can tell that those two things really are different because they have a different symbol next to them in the Scene Explorer window.

The parent dummy helper, named "points", becomes the 0,0,0 of the child dummy helpers no matter where they are located, and you can explicitly set its position to 0,0,0 in the editor.  Then all of the children will appear in the game where they do in the editor, with respect to the dummy helper named "points".  If the center of the base of your model is also based at 0,0,0 then it is not necessary to balance smoke at 25,21 with all of the other dummy helpers in order to get it to appear at 15,15 in the game.  One can simply locate it at 15,15 in the editor and it will appear at 15,15 in the game.

With only a group named "points", the 0,0,0 of the group is indeed their center of gravity and one has to make wild guesses about where the smoke will appear because adding any new dummy helpers to the group moves the origin of the entire group.

Here are screenshots to demonstrate that a group is different from a parent dummy helper, and how it is in apairy.FBX.

RedKetchup

ok ! thats explain everything ! i thought it was a grp we had to make. i guess it s a different way to do, and probably the best way to do it instead of guessing where i need to put my points to get it in the game :)
but, know that, i am still making it work quickly, and none of my dummys arent working at all, till they dont end up in a "####" forbitten wall :)

how do you call (where do you click) to get that " Scene Explorer window " to the left ? (as a 3rd tentative to get that answers lol)

slink

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 29, 2014, 07:07:49 AM
ok ! thats explain everything ! i thought it was a grp we had to make. i guess it s a different way to do, and probably the best way to do it instead of guessing where i need to put my points to get it in the game :)
but, know that, i am still making it work quickly, and none of my dummys arent working at all, till they dont end up in a "####" forbitten wall :)

how do you call (where do you click) to get that " Scene Explorer window " to the left ? (as a 3rd tentative to get that answers lol)
Under Tools, New Scene Explorer is where I find it in my version.

And yes, your dummy helpers would still work, it would just be trial and error where they should be in the editor in order to work in the game.

RedKetchup

found it ! thanks you Slink ! it repay for the tip about how to hide a button in game (like a limit button, or even a full tab) ^^
look how my group is setup :) i defined my group box by setting the builders at corners so i get the 0,0,0 when grouped and then i placed all my use_ create_ properly :)

but ........ wow this model i made is so........... lovely ! :)

slink

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 29, 2014, 07:32:43 AM
found it ! thanks you Slink ! it repay for the tip about how to hide a button in game (like a limit button) ^^
That's fine, except I was not trying to hide a button in the game.   ;)

RedKetchup

Quote from: slink on October 29, 2014, 07:34:35 AM
Quote from: RedKetchup on October 29, 2014, 07:32:43 AM
found it ! thanks you Slink ! it repay for the tip about how to hide a button in game (like a limit button) ^^
That's fine, except I was not trying to hide a button in the game.   ;)

no, but still useful (when we try to finish and polish something)  ;)

slink

I give the information for free, and not in return for anything.  The only reason I said I paid you back last time was because you complained so much about giving me for free the two months it took you to figure out that importing things from an OBJ file gave the option to combine meshes.  At the time, I did not need that part of your information about OBJ files, but I have used it many times since then.  What I did need was the suggestion to try the OBJ format for the farmhouse that I was converting to small markets.  The MAX file that I had downloaded was not working as expected in the game, but the OBJ file I downloaded with it did work.  That is possibly because my version of 3ds MAX has a problem with its own files, or possibly because whoever posted it had already treated the model incorrectly.  Regardless, once I stopped using MAX format files I have had no more problems with things on the screen not looking like they do in the game.  Even misplaced smoke made sense once I realized that the smoke in the game was offset from the chimney by the same distance and direction as the parent dummy helper named "points" was offset from 0,0,0 in the editor.

rageingnonsense

I was right; my issue is actually that all the buildings are using the points from the last model in my fbx. Now to find out why! :P

rageingnonsense

Just an FYI, I have finally figured this out. It's quite simple: Banished does not support separate citizen helper nodes per variation!

What I decided to do is to watch how citizens use the stock wooden houses. To my surprise, they all dropped their food off to the same point of each variation, even if it made no sense. For instance, a house with a door in the middle had citizens moving food to the corner of their house.

So, basically the only thing Banished will support is individual particle systems. For citizen helper nodes, you have to live with the fact that they will all share the same one (the first one it finds in the fbx).

I could still be wrong, but I figure if the stock houses are structured like this, then there is no way. I don't see how Luke would not give helper nodes that make mode sense for the stock buildings if he could.

slink

Except then how do the smoke points move around?  The chimneys are not all in the same places for the houses.

I've ordered myself a book from Amazon, so maybe I can understand mental rays on a UV channel as not something involving reflective sunscreen hats.   ;D

Edit: I was playing briefly with the wooden shack from the fountain mod, and discovered that the occupant dropped her groceries off out in the forest rather than near the house.  When I redid the build with one of RedKetchup's houses, she dropped them off at her door.

rageingnonsense

I mean that all variations share the same nodes EXCEPT particle nodes.

For a test, load up the game in debug mode and build all 6 variations of the stock wooden houses. zoom in and take a look at where the citizens drop off their goods. It is in the same spot for each variation, despite the fact that the doors are in different places.

slink

I kind of remember that.  I thought it was because he'd been lazy and just put the use point in front of all of the houses.  Since we can't see his FBX file it is hard to tell.  And all of my doors are in the same place, so that is not a good test.

You might be on to something.