News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Improved Mine - work in progress

Started by Yandersen, January 21, 2018, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I like the Nordic mine from @Tom Sawyer. The perfect combination of good/small looking and size of the footprint. It last very long (eternal?) but need some wood to produce. This means no useless ugly ruins.

galensgranny

As far as mines are concerned, both versions are good.   :)   The style Kid made makes me feel more confident that the owners keep things in good repair, if I was the one who had to go in there.

Yandersen

Quote from: RedKetchup on January 28, 2018, 04:52:28 AMI personally think that 3x3 (+3 in mountains that count for nothing) is way too small to compare the original 12x12 tiles and is alot OP, but it is my personal thoughts. Please don't see any bad intentions in that from me, everyone knows my thoughts about this^^)
Mountains are nothing right now, because I didn't get into the mountain quarries and burial caves yet.  ;)  But small footprint allows more flexibility in placement - my version requires just 3 mountain tiles in a straight row to make the mine placeable. Remember the PITA from placing the standard mine on a diagonal mountain.  ;)  A small fragement of 3 strait blocks could be located on that with very high probability I think. I even think of an easier placement restriction with just 1 mountain tile restriction... Not sure yet. There is still a lot to do.

As for the alpha, here is it in the attachment. And a sweet screenshot.  :)  Discrepancy made an amazing model, can't believe it looks so close to the real one from the picture! I just had to adjust the black curtain position since it was overpushed by 1 unit so I could see the bannies mining.

Anyway, check this out:

Yandersen

Funny that I didn't mentioned that intermediate construction models are swapped. Fixed.

Well, I dug into the ceiling component for the terraformer to check how it interacts with the floor component. Turned out that floor takes priority - like ceiling lifts the terrain first, then floor lowers it. Simply sayng, I mean. That means using both ceiling and the floor on the same area makes possible to shift the terrain vertices to the exact positions we want. So I did (see the floor and ceiling models used in the attachment). Works perfect. Now I have that area of the terrain under the footprint perfectly defined (tiles marked as "X"):

XXXX???
XXXX??? -> mine exit
XXXX???

I made the floor and ceiling models as close as possible to the natural terrain shape under the typical mine placement area, so that when mine is built it is hard to mention the caused disturbance of the shape of the mountain slope around the building.

This precise landscape shape' definition opens the possibility of adding a fake part of the mountain slope over the mine entrance, further hiding the entrance, covering it with a landslided rocks on top and sides making a perfect blending into the mountain.

Yandersen

Just a heads up for the WIP on this mod. Not abandoned, no-no-no!

The final size of the footprint (yes, it kept growing since the initial upload, but seem to stop at this point) is 7x5 tiles (including the road tiles). The same amount of workers as in vanilla. No stone for building - just wood (as suggested by model' design).

We work with Discrepancy to add the most beautiful and perfectly well-done mine mod to the game (well, mostly him working tbh, considering the major part of the mod is the model, and I don't have enough skills to contribute to this part significantly). It is time-consuming process, and Discrepancy doesn't have too much of it, of course, but there can't be hustle with perfectionism, would you agree?

So I postpone releasing the mod publicly until all little things settled. Currently it seems like only non-critical graphical improvements left. Everything is working already as expected and you can test it. Please do so and tell us what you think about our new version which is to replace the vanilla mine!