News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Brick Tenements and Rowhouses from the Industrial Revolution

Started by AzemOcram, December 08, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzemOcram

OK, so I have been playing around with the Colonial Charter Mod in Banished and I came up with an idea. Before I pursue it and try to figure out how to implement it, I would like your opinions. I thought that it might be neat to have new, slightly more modern and urban housing. The brick tenement could be an upgrade to the Boarding House and increase its capacity from 5 families to 7, be treated preferentially like regular housing (so people will form families on their own here) instead of being a place of last resort for homeless people, and use as much firewood as a stone house. The barrier to building this would be that it would require more resources. I think that if I implement it, it will require 60 logs, 30 stone, 14 glass, 7 steel tools, 14 iron, and 105 bricks. Bricks would be made from a lot of sand and clay and a little iron and be made in a new building, the Brick Kiln.

If I use Colonial Charter Mod as a dependency (or they pick up my mod as part of theirs in a future update), then I would only need to add 3 new buildings (the aforementioned brick kiln and tenement and also the clay sifter, which would be built on a shore). However, I would like to hear your opinions before I continue. I don't want to make a mod that will not be used, especially with the learning curve ahead of me.

By the way, I plan on making the tenement (or rowhouses) be two or 3 stories tall. The townsfolk would have to climb stairs to get to their bedrooms. I think I might have 2 models and possibly 2 textures per model. One model would look like 7 tall and narrow rowhouses and the other would look more like a tenement with one main entrance but they would both have the same footprints and the townsfolk will enter and exit through the same places in both.

EDIT: Colonial Charter has added all the construction materials my buildings could ever need so it makes more sense to make it a dependency.

RedKetchup

i will just let you know, citizens arent 'climbing' the stairs, they cant follow a path from down there to up there like if it s 3D. they dont have any 'sense' of height. you can put a floor at 1,000 kilometers from the ground and they will jump to it or jump down depending of their x,y location and the angle they come from.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

This is a very interesting idea, @AzemOcram which could add to the game. I would think that the first questions are why people would build these and why out of brick. Next question would be why not regular housing rather than a boarding house replacement. When I think of the "first" industrial revolution I think of England in the late 16 and early 1700s when tenement housing for workers was generally wood. It made for nasty slums that burnt like kindling, but was cheap to build. @slink already has done a three-floor walk-up in wood which you might want to look at. I could be wrong, but I think that if you want multiple families to treat something as a "house" (i.e., a unit for family living) it has to be a "separate" structure, which is why @slink and @RedKetchup have resorted to graphical ruses to get multi-story dwellings. Couples will have babies in the boarding house, but everybody moves out at the first chance at a "house."

AzemOcram

Thank you for the feedback. Most tenements have internal stairs so I thought it would be easier that way because I never saw any citizens climbing external stairs. I did not know all the dynamics of Banished yet so maybe if I make this mod, I will make a brick walk-up tenement (maybe more "Second Industrial Revolution" era style) that upgrades from the bunkhouse and a 2x6 rowhouse that holds a family of 8. However, my skills are very basic at the moment and I am about to go on a vacation so this is still in the planning stages.

slink

They climb external stairs if the stairs happen to be in their way.  That is, if the slope of the ramp is the shortest path between them and their goal, they will walk up the ramp.  If they are beside the highest part, they won't walk to the low end and climb, though.  They will simply leap to the top.

The other point I wish to make is that the boarding house does not function as starter housing and cannot be made to do so.  People won't leave Mom and Dad to form a new family with their significant other, in an apartment.  The only way to make a multistory, multifamily dwelling is to actually build those seven houses for the seven floors.  You can make the graphics such that they all go to the front door of the apartment building to access their homes, but players will have to build all seven floors separately.  An internal staircase will at least make your modelling easier because you won't have to rotate the levels to provide an external door for the higher floor.  Just make the first floor and then make a copy for the second floor with a window where the front entry was on the first floor.  Raise it to second story level.  Then repeat the raising for X levels.  Each of these will have to be a new model and another building selection on the menu system, although you might be able to put them on the selector button like the six wooden houses, etc.

AzemOcram

Thank you very much for the info, slink! So, my new plan is to make small-footprint rowhouses that are 3 stories tall each and only hold 1 family, but still hold a family of 8, and be as warm as a colonial manor. I think I will make 1 or 2 models and have 2-4 texture variations. That seems much easier than modding family apartments (since family apartments appear to be impossible). I might make an upgrade to the boarding house later on that increases its capacity and warmth but it would still be treated like a boarding house (where people won't move in to form families), which would mean that there would be little-to-no reason to build many of them.

I will have to do some research into early brick rowhouses once I get back from my trip and I will have to get 3DsMax for students as well. My graphic experience includes a great deal of 2D art (including vector, pixel, and texture art) and very simple shapes in Blender (I think I only managed to make textured rectangular prisms).

Paeng

Quote from: AzemOcram on December 08, 2014, 11:20:59 PMit would require more resources. I think that if I implement it, it will require 60 logs, 30 stone, 14 glass, 7 steel tools, 14 iron, and 105 bricks.

I don't think that works - as far as I understand it, you can only specify three building materials... they can be different (from the standard log, stone and iron), but no more than three..
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on December 09, 2014, 09:33:01 PM
Quote from: AzemOcram on December 08, 2014, 11:20:59 PMit would require more resources. I think that if I implement it, it will require 60 logs, 30 stone, 14 glass, 7 steel tools, 14 iron, and 105 bricks.

I don't think that works - as far as I understand it, you can only specify three building materials... they can be different (from the standard log, stone and iron), but no more than three..

he is right

salamander

If the three stories are going to be built separately like @RedKetchup's houses, you might could include a different set of building materials for each, so the full three-story building requires more than just three resources.

tomplum68

thats actually a really good idea, giving each story different and harder building requirements.  If you want to increase the density of an area by going vertical you have to pay a resource cost to do so.  do first floor just stone and wood, second floor add your bricks and glass and maybe third floor iron and something else.

also, I haven't tried any of the multistory building mods, but I would think using the 'graphical glitch' for first floor entry and internal stairs sounds like the way to go at least ascetically in game.

rkelly17

I see two issues: The hard limit to three building materials would mean that if you introduce brick, then stone or iron or wood has to go, which would mess up other structures. The alternative I see is to have the graphics look brickish but have stone be the building material. It also seems that you cannot build one building on top of another, so there would need to be separate "footprints" for each floor (as there are for @RedKetchup's and @slink's multi-story houses) even if the graphics overlap. One may need back and side balconies for upper stories in order to get the multiple footprints. One possibility is that the first story is only half the building, the second story adds the other half of the first floor as well as the second floor, then the third story adds back porches and stairs and the fourth story adds a fire escape on the side. At that point I've run out of ideas.

AzemOcram

OK, I think I have things straightened out. Any structure can use any 3 resources to be built but only 3 construction materials can be used to build any individual building. By adding brick, I would have to have certain buildings use only 2 other resources. This means I could potentially make my rowhouses (which would hold 1 family each and be their own structures that would look good built next to eachother but don't have to be) require logs, bricks, and steel tools. The tenement however, would be a bit more difficult. I could either make it so that it needs to be built in 3 parts to look complete and that I could require different resources for each part. I could start with logs, stone, and iron, then brick, stone, and steel tools, then brick, steel tools, and glass and have each part hold a family of 8 or just treat each part as a mini boarding house, holding 2 or 3 families (which would mean mostly nomads and disaster victims would use them).

The row/terraced houses sound easier and I think I will just have clay sifter (shore-side building), brick kiln, and rowhouses, and require Colonial Charter to function (in order to get sand for bricks and glass for windows). If using other mods as dependencies is frowned upon, I guess I could make a sand sifter and a glass blower, but I would prefer not to have duplicates with something I want to use in conjunction with my mod. However, if I decide to make the multi-part tenement, that will come in a later update to my mod.

I am not sure if I mentioned this but I am going on a vacation next week and I won't be back for 2 weeks so I will be unable to work on my mod until I get back. I am still in the midst of figuring out how to make mods for banished. I am trying to add a marine climate to the game (for personal use) where it rarely ever snows (if at all), and it rains constantly except in mid and late summer.

--Ocram

slink

I can imagine a nine-level building in a 3x3 square.  Each level would have a 1x1 footprint, but a 3x3 graphic.  When all nine levels were built, no one could walk inside the bottom level graphic.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to check on any given level, though, since only the 1x1 would be clickable.

AzemOcram

Well, I don't think I will go for something as extreme as a 9 level building. I think my first brick building will look something along the lines of this:

That should fit a family of 8 quite comfortably. I think that will have either a 2x4 footprint or a 3x6 footprint, or possibly a 2x6 footprint (if I make it longer and narrower). That is just a rough idea because that is picture of a SimCity 4 building that I altered and I just want an easy to model (low-polygon) building that looks only slightly more modern than Colonial Charter. Obviously the end product will look different from that because I will make it by hand in 3D and make decisions along the way to make further changes. I wish I could make buildings use up to 4 resource but I guess bricks can be red or grey. So that would be made of bricks, wood (for doors, furniture, and floors), and steel tools (to make it stronger than just iron but without adding a steel resource).

I plan on eventually making row/terraced houses that would fit in with early Paris or London. Most of those have sloped roofs and sloped roofs make more sense for fair and harsh climates.

--Ocram

RedKetchup

but if you want to use something from another mod, like sand and or glass from another mod, you still need to setup everything. that mean make its own .rsc make it s own 3D files anyways (even it means to make a straight copy, and ask the sources to the other mod moddler)

you can say to the compiler : ok, glass is coming in another mod, so dont worry ! dont check !
you cant do that.

you need to setup up everything, so why to not just create your own design and dont care about other moddlers ?