News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Brick Tenements and Rowhouses from the Industrial Revolution

Started by AzemOcram, December 08, 2014, 11:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzemOcram

1. The Brownstone is supposed to have geometry that looks like it belongs in the early 1800s but the textures are barely adequate even for demonstrating using materials and will need to be altered in Gimp once I make a single diffuse map. The bricks are also too small so I will play around with reducing the repeat pattern.
2. I made 4 model variations, 1 that is symmetric with 4 normal floors and a domer (and a relatively steep pitched roof), 1 that is symmetric with 4 normal floors and daylight basement (this one, during the industrial revolution basements were often where the servants or kitchens were), and 2 mirror images with 5 normal floors.
3. Please tell me (or better show me pictures) about what was used to give ornamentation to the rowhouses in the early 1800s (as well as examples of Georgian rowhouses from the late 1600s and the 1700s for my mid-tier buildings). I tried looking for pictures of rowhouses but all the photos were of refurbished rowhouses.

Thank you all for the feedback, keep it coming!

--Ocram

AzemOcram

How do you like the new geometry and textures for my first tier row house?

I hope this render uses good enough textures.

How do you like the new details added to the 5th tier row house?

The textures are not final for this, I just don't know how to add overlays when still using materials (the easy way to get quick renders).

--Ocram

RedKetchup

to put your brick bigger you just need to take a photo program like photoshop or gimp work it out :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

AzemOcram

My brick texture is plenty big enough to make the bricks larger. I just was unsure what a realistic size of bricks would be for that scale.

I think this is better:

I also fixed up my first tier (what is plopped):

--Ocram

RedKetchup

yes ! your bricks are way better !

but your stone one .... :P
maybe you can try 1 of these 2

AzemOcram

OK, I have started work on the second variety of my 6th and final tier of rowhouses. Both of them are supposed to have identical stats and those stats should be similar to those of a Colonial Charter Estate. Do they look like they would hold the same amount of people (family of 8 persons), belongings (2000), and warmth (150)?

Obviously the green building doesn't have textures yet. The foreground building is the same one I showed earlier at a different angle and it is a combination of a dozen or so primitives. I will have to collapse all primitives of the pseudo-textured one before giving it a proper texture.

Thank you for the feedback,

--Ocram

RedKetchup

question the left building isnt finished yet ? cause looks pretty unfinished to me

AzemOcram

I am pretty content with the geometry but the textures are not even close to being finished. I have decided to finalize the geometry of everything else before I finish the textures of anything. What do you think of the geometry of both buildings?

--Ocram

RedKetchup

like i said previously, the windows at basement dont fit, it gives a 1980s aspect. not sure about the chimneys in metal, looks recent too. the stone texture if very very good though.

what is your target time area ?

AzemOcram

The pseudo-textured model is the only one with a daylight basement. Daylight basements were common for kitchens and servants as early as 1500 according to what I read on wikipedia. The chimneys are stone topped with terra cotta tiles. This is the 6th tier and is supposed to belong in the early-to-mid 1800s (so 1820-1850). I will make an intermediate 5th tier, which should look normal for the turn of the 19th century (1780-1820). The 3rd and 4th tiers should look like they belong in the 1700s in large colonial cities (such as Philadelphia, Boston, and New York City) or certain areas of England (such as parts of Bath and London). The 2nd tier should look like it comes out of the 1600s and the 1st tier should look like vaguely medieval (or poor colonial, or really poor industrial inner city) stone housing.

I have decided to make the basement windows slightly shorter and the main windows slightly taller. On the one with a pitched roof, I will make the proportions fit those of the revised flat roofed variety.

FYI, this is the construction information (underscores are there because I haven't figured out the quantities yet):
Tier 1: Modest Narrow House
Family of 4, warm as a stone house (Fuel 90), storage: 800
_ Wood
_ Stone
_ Iron
_ construction cycles

Tier 2: Small Terraced House
Family of 5, Fuel 100, storage: 1000
_ Stone
_ Iron
_ Glass
_ construction cycles

Tier 3: Georgian Rowhouse
Family of 6, Fuel 110, storage: 1200
_ Iron
_ Glass
_ Bricks
_construction cycles

Tier 4: Nice Georgian Rowhouse
Family of 6, Fuel 125, storage: 1400
_ Glass
_ Bricks
_ Joists
_construction cycles

Tier 5: Large Georgian Rowhouse
Family of 7, Fuel 135, storage: 1700
_ Building Materials
_ Bricks
_ Joists
_ construction cycles

Tier 6: Large Italianate Rowhouse (or Large Brick Brownstone)
Family of 8, Fuel 150, storage: 2000
_ Building Materials
_ Joists
_ Furnishings
_ construction cycles

The upgrades should get progressively more expensive (by quantity) as well however, I am still in the art creation (models and textures) stage of development for my mod. After the first release, I will make a fork that does not need Colonial Charter but requires the bricks and glass to be purchased (and only includes the first 3 tiers). Afterward, my second release will also bring upgrades for CC housing and the bunkhouse (turn it into a double capacity tenement, like my original idea). My 3rd release will have shops (specialized markets) and production buildings as well as corner rowhouses and rowhouses for putting over certain shops to simulate high streets.

Thanks again for all the feedback, RedKetchup. If anyone else would like to contribute their feedback, I would like to hear it, even negative criticism.

--Ocram

RedKetchup

i hope you didnt took what i said as 'negative' feedback  :-[

chillzz

Basement windows could/should be around half the regular window size for 'souterrain'  / 'daylight basement'.
usually with cast iron bars for protection. Those have been in existence since middle ages.
Over here in the Netherlands, they could have been designated as living quarters for staff,
but usually they were completely cut off from the main building, to house a complete (poor) family.
Especially if the houses were on the canals, due to stench and possible flooding.

Sometimes the basement had an extension on ground level, called a pot or puthuis ('pockmark' home).

some interesting pictures on the dutch wikipedia (too bad not available in english, but maybe google translate will do a good job)
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pothuis

some sketches :

http://www.amsterdamsebinnenstad.nl/binnenstad/234/pothuizen.html
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

AzemOcram

@RedKetchup : Your feedback has been positive and very helpful. The most negative feedback was in the XLNation chatroom when I asked for opinions on the geometry of buildings of the previous picture and someone said that the colors were fugly and hurt his eyes. He eventually told me to add a railing, shorten the basement windows, make the regular windows taller and make the door wider. However, it seems like you are the only one contributing much feedback at all.

@chillzz : Those links are very useful. Thank you! I looked at them and they make a lot of sense but my rowhouses are supposed to be nice and have kitchens (and possibly a Cinderella) in the basement (and there is only one model with a daylight basement).

Here is an update with those 2 buildings (with their altered geometry) and the first tier rowhouse I showed earlier together in one scene for the purpose of showing the scale between the smallest, most basic building and its fancy final upgrade:

As you can see, this is a screenshot of the scene and not a render. I started to make a single diffuse for the middle building but have not finished mapping the UVW, nor have I finished editing the diffuse map. I kept the statistics because their low polygon count should minimize their impact on performance.

Please continue your feedback (which has been overwhelmingly positive) but please, somebody else chime in as well.

--Ocram

chillzz

Quote from: AzemOcram on May 25, 2015, 05:07:12 PM
@chillzz : Those links are very useful. Thank you! I looked at them and they make a lot of sense but my rowhouses are supposed to be nice and have kitchens (and possibly a Cinderella) in the basement (and there is only one model with a daylight basement).
Yeah thats what i thought. English rowhouses from edwardian / victorian era and American Brownstones were more or less higher class then the basement housing of dutch canal houses. Although the canal houses themselves were for the ultra rich (merchants), as they actually still are ;)

The 'pockmark' was first used as storage for rainwater which one could grab via the basement. later it became either a kitchen sometimes even with a privy, or as i mentioned housing for either  the staff, or the poor (as tenants).

as for your design : great ! it actually does remind me to the housing you are trying to recreate.. so thats a good thing.
as for texture : maybe a bit too clean, but thats still a work in progress.. so no worries :)

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup