News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Stand Alone Iron Smelter?

Started by Maldrick, April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maldrick

Wasn't sure which sub-forum this was most appropriate for, but it seemed to fit here.

Not a request, but just a question...Is anyone aware of an Iron Smelter in existence outside of CC?  After searching, I'm reasonably certain there isn't one as a single building, but wondering if one might be part of a larger mod set I've missed.

Basically, I've gotten into using Discrepancy's Tunnel Mine because of the flexibility it offers, the CC version, but it produces iron ore not iron.  Which is fine, because it has other uses, but I was thinking it would be cool to have that option.  Plus I love adding new production here and there.

Thanks!
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Paeng

Quote from: Maldrick on April 21, 2017, 02:36:12 PMit produces iron ore not iron.  Which is fine, because it has other uses, but I was thinking it would be cool to have that option.

Yep, that's my main (luxury) "problem"... when I mix any mod(s) with CC, I get Iron Ore from the ground, which can only be processed with the whole CC chain of charcoal - furnace fuel - smelter... not really a problem, but I don't always want to build all that "hi tech" look, but simpler structures like e.g. the North "Bloomery" or such...

I second that question / request... an option to process CC Iron Ore...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Discrepancy

well I did start a 3d model of a smelter the other month, had no real plans for it. So I will get to texturing it and coding it up after the Jetties update as a standalone iron ore to iron smelter.

Paeng

Quote from: Discrepancy on April 21, 2017, 10:31:36 PMa standalone iron ore to iron smelter.

That's cool...  :)

Because generally I find the iron ore concept sound, picking up 'finished' iron from the ground never really appealed to me... else I could have just used the "iron is iron" mod...  ;)

Nilla

I agree. The idea of finding iron, that a blacksmith can process as easy as in Banished is weird to me, too. I agree with @Paeng, that the CC-way is too high tech, at least for a smaller settlement. It's also a bit historically incorrect, as least how they produced iron here in Sweden: furnace fuel is basically charcoal, it's just a more efficient way of making coal from wood, to use for iron processing. It makes no sense to make it from charcoal, like you can do in CC. To me it's like taking buns from a small bakery to make bread in a big one; weird. The North way is more correct, at least in my part of the world. However, it's a long chain and as far as I know, only to use, if you play the full North mod. Something a bit more simple to use outside the North would be good.

Maldrick

Quote from: Discrepancy on April 21, 2017, 10:31:36 PM
well I did start a 3d model of a smelter the other month, had no real plans for it. So I will get to texturing it and coding it up after the Jetties update as a standalone iron ore to iron smelter.

That would be awesome, Discrepancy.  Thank you!  But please don't go to any major trouble.  From reading other threads it sounds like you have a lot on your plate.  I was really just asking if anyone knew of one because it would be cool to be able to use your mine for iron production on top of the other uses and I like adding new production where I can.

Love that mine, by the way.  I've always traded for iron and coal because of what happens to mines when they are depleted but yours gives them an afterlife of sorts.  The mushroom farm is a really great idea and, while I haven't used it in a game yet, testing showed if you combine two of your mines with three NMT drying shacks you can get a nice little shot of vegetable production with a relatively small footprint. Nothing overpowering...Fully staffed on all buildings I think it was like 500 or 600 food per worker per year for like 14 workers...can't remember if that included market support or not...but it's just the kind of thing that would have made a difference at the end of a saturated map in the past.  Love it when buildings synergize like that.  And less trading required = good in my book.

Speaking of your Jetties....I played around with them a bit last night and they are awesome.  The flexibility it offers is great and the fishmonger is a really cool addition.  And the stone bridge is an absolute work of art.  Haven't upgraded to 1.7 yet but, when I do, I plan to give your whole village mod a go on its own.

Quote from: Paeng on April 22, 2017, 01:26:39 AM
Quote from: Discrepancy on April 21, 2017, 10:31:36 PMa standalone iron ore to iron smelter.

That's cool...  :)

Because generally I find the iron ore concept sound, picking up 'finished' iron from the ground never really appealed to me... else I could have just used the "iron is iron" mod...  ;)

To be clear, I'm still getting iron in the normal vanilla way, it's just that one mine that produces ore with my current package of mods.  But I agree, the smelting ore concept is really great and something I've been looking forward to down the line with CC.  When I saw ore coming from the DS Tunnel Mine, it got me curious if there was a way to smelt it outside of CC.

Quote from: Nilla on April 22, 2017, 02:44:38 AM
I agree. The idea of finding iron, that a blacksmith can process as easy as in Banished is weird to me, too. I agree with @Paeng, that the CC-way is too high tech, at least for a smaller settlement. It's also a bit historically incorrect, as least how they produced iron here in Sweden: furnace fuel is basically charcoal, it's just a more efficient way of making coal from wood, to use for iron processing. It makes no sense to make it from charcoal, like you can do in CC. To me it's like taking buns from a small bakery to make bread in a big one; weird. The North way is more correct, at least in my part of the world. However, it's a long chain and as far as I know, only to use, if you play the full North mod. Something a bit more simple to use outside the North would be good.

The more I read about The North the more I want to play it after I get a few plays out of the package I've been putting together the past month or so.  And Discrepancy's village.  And Maritimes.  And CC.  And...And...I held off on modding the game for so long because I knew I would be like a kid in a candy store with what's available and turns out I had no idea.  The creativity and talent of the modders just blows me away on a daily basis, really.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

brads3

i like the NORTH;s way of dealing with iron but sadly it is the reason for glitches when trying to use the NORTH with CC.CC does have the mini smelter that kinda works like this,you use firewood to make fuel and then smelt the iron ore. so it does bypass a step of making charcoal and then fuel.you can also mine for iron instead of ore.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on April 22, 2017, 10:22:11 AMCC does have the mini smelter that kinda works like this,you use firewood to make fuel and then smelt the iron ore. so it does bypass a step of making charcoal and then fuel.you can also mine for iron instead of ore.

That's all different from what I know... or is that maybe MM?

brads3

no that is CC. the small furnace makes fuel and then a mini smelter to process the ore. it was done to be able to get the iron earlier in games.the furnace icon looks like the large furnace but is a smaller icon. the smelter is a wrench with a line below it i believe. i use them in my forts.being small they fit there nicely.with the mini lumber maker,i have options to make different houses and other buildings earlier in games.

RedKetchup

just a reminder.... the Old Blacksmith for 1.0.7 ... can process these iron ores and make iron with it !!!!
another new mesh is nice, but you already have that feature too easily with the Old BS with its residence :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 22, 2017, 11:55:24 AM
just a reminder.... the Old Blacksmith for 1.0.7 ... can process these iron ores and make iron with it !!!!
another new mesh is nice, but you already have that feature too easily with the Old BS with its residence :)

Really?  Very good to know. Thank you, Red Ketchup!  Exactly what I was searching for.

As it happens I'm using Old Blacksmith now, but the older version as I haven't bumped up to 1.07 yet.  Guess I should do that, but I didn't know when I started putting mods together that the older ones are compatible with the new version. Or so I think I read?  I've just been getting started with mods so figured I would stick with 1.06 stuff until I got a feel for everything better and maybe 1.07 is out of beta.

By the way, I consider NMT the centerpiece of my modset.  Not sure I saw a 1.07 version. Any gotchas with it and 1.07 I should be aware of?

This is great news.  Didn't even think to look at the new version of the Old Blacksmith. I think I'll go ahead and move on to 1.07 and run another round of tests today.  Thank you again.

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on April 22, 2017, 10:59:34 AMthe furnace icon looks like the large furnace but is a smaller icon.

Yes, I'm familiar with that chain, it's my standard...  ;)

Your words were misleading -
Quote from: brads3 on April 22, 2017, 10:22:11 AMso it does bypass a step of making charcoal and then fuel
which I read as we don't need furnace fuel... yeah, you can skip charcoal if you have enough substitutes to burn (though I think charcoal is the better deal)...

Anyway, the chain is still as complicated as with the large buildings, the smaller structures just have lower output and smaller footprints... you still need to burn something to make furnace fuel and take it thru the smelter to make iron that the smith can finally turn into tools...  :)

* And you do need to build a small hamlet to fully support that chain... see attach  :D

RedKetchup

Quote from: Maldrick on April 22, 2017, 12:32:11 PM
By the way, I consider NMT the centerpiece of my modset.  Not sure I saw a 1.07 version. Any gotchas with it and 1.07 I should be aware of?

This is great news.  Didn't even think to look at the new version of the Old Blacksmith. I think I'll go ahead and move on to 1.07 and run another round of tests today.  Thank you again.

NMT isnt in 1.0.7 yet but will be eventually and it will be split into parts and will be called like the first part i started :
NMT Series 3.0 : ClayChain for 1.0.7

which will have the claypit, the kiln, the pottery makers. the resources: Clay, Bricks, Rooftiles, Pottery. and as usually, it will use : Stonecutters for the clay pit, workers for all the other buildings.

it is not ready yet though, i am still in wait to decided if i add some features to this or not. also i want to have most parts already made before releasing any parts.
All the parts will have this naming convention or procedure. :)

NMT Series 3.0 : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  for 1.0.7
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

Quote from: RedKetchup on April 22, 2017, 02:32:10 PM
Quote from: Maldrick on April 22, 2017, 12:32:11 PM

NMT isnt in 1.0.7 yet but will be eventually and it will be split into parts and will be called like the first part i started :
NMT Series 3.0 : ClayChain for 1.0.7

which will have the claypit, the kiln, the pottery makers. the resources: Clay, Bricks, Rooftiles, Pottery. and as usually, it will use : Stonecutters for the clay pit, workers for all the other buildings.

it is not ready yet though, i am still in wait to decided if i add some features to this or not. also i want to have most parts already made before releasing any parts.
All the parts will have this naming convention or procedure. :)

NMT Series 3.0 : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  for 1.0.7

Very cool.  Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be awesome.  NMT is such a gorgeous mod.  I catch myself stopping and just looking at buildings at times.  Incidentally, I've gotten a lot of use out of your 2 story Little Houses.  They were perfect for what I was doing and look amazing with the different colored roofs.

Appreciate the heads up about the Old Blacksmith. I've got a great set of mods put together and all tested...Thinking I may hold off on moving up to 1.0.7 for the time being and get some play out of this then dive in soon.  So many new and updated mods for that I'm looking forward to checking out.  I stopped a play yesterday because I decided to make some changes so was thinking before I started a new map I would ask about the smelter.

Thanks again!

elemental

Quote from: Nilla on April 22, 2017, 02:44:38 AM
I agree. The idea of finding iron, that a blacksmith can process as easy as in Banished is weird to me, too.

All that iron lying around on the ground is from meteorites. Lots and lots and lots of meteorites. That's why the lakes are round - impact craters.  ;)  But seriously, it really is very strange that there is iron lying around. I much prefer the iron ore system that CC introduced.