News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

King Of The Mountain

Started by Trizeropz, March 21, 2015, 12:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Nice try. As always; your settlement looks much better than mine.

As usual; I have some questions:
I think you had less food in your stores than I had. How much did you produce each year?

I see that you have kept to your 1 hunter in each cabin, also the gatherers are not full with 4 in each. If you have other things for your people to do, that's good. But in this case, I don't understand why you don't occupy as many as possible in these sites.

4 markets in this tiny space; isn't that a bit too much. I almost regretted my second. How do you see the benefits of that?

irrelevant

@Nilla not sure about food production, I'll have to look at it when I get home this evening.

I finally did add a second hunter to each cabin; I didn't notice much change.

Many of the gatherers huts have fewer than four workers because the huts' circles are not fully available for food production. I have the impression that it is possible to over-harvest to the point of diminishing future returns, but I don't have any evidence to back this up. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Yeah, the markets, they take up so much space! I built them to insure guys would not have long treks across the map just to find tools. I could have built more smiths, but then the smiths would have long treks to find iron. I suppose on such a map as this I should worry less about optimizing distribution and just max out space for food production. I may back up few days and try this one again.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on April 21, 2015, 05:02:31 AM
Yeah, the markets, they take up so much space! I built them to insure guys would not have long treks across the map just to find tools. I could have built more smiths, but then the smiths would have long treks to find iron. I suppose on such a map as this I should worry less about optimizing distribution and just max out space for food production. I may back up few days and try this one again.

should use my specialized markets from New Medieval Town !!

;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

@RedKetchup I know, but part of the challenge is no mods!  ;D

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on April 21, 2015, 06:46:12 AM
@RedKetchup I know, but part of the challenge is no mods!  ;D

haha a chance i am not doing mods 'JUST' for you lolz
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on April 20, 2015, 11:50:01 AM

I think you had less food in your stores than I had. How much did you produce each year?

Year 39 was 33,800; 38 was 32,600, 37 was 33,400, last five average 31,500. I should have ramped food up more before I started pushing pop, or rather I should have eased back from pushing pop while I built up food. But my food consumption exceeded my production the last 8 years. The most food I ever had stored was 57,000. I should have tried for 2-3 times that much.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on April 21, 2015, 05:02:31 AM
@Nilla not sure about food production, I'll have to look at it when I get home this evening.

I finally did add a second hunter to each cabin; I didn't notice much change.

Many of the gatherers huts have fewer than four workers because the huts' circles are not fully available for food production. I have the impression that it is possible to over-harvest to the point of diminishing future returns, but I don't have any evidence to back this up. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I knew you had reasons for what you do. :) ;)

I don´t think that it does any harm for the productivity, if you put as many gatherers, hunters, fishers.....into the huts as possible. For sure, if the area is small, two or three are able to cover it all but I see it as a security, same as i may put 3 farmers on a field if I have very many laborers. I cannot see that it has some long term disadvantages to harvest all that's possible from the forest, I think the opposite: Only if you pick the berries, mushrooms.... there will grow new. The old one stay quite long, but they do die after a while.

irrelevant

Backing up was pointless, the whole town was flawed. I started over. This time, no markets. What difference between one and none, really?

edit: I may build one market there in the open notch at the lower right corner of the settlement, just to pull iron from the future mine to the smith..

Nilla

Good idea @irrelevant; to build no markets. The map is small, so I think that will work. But why don't you build the smith right next to the mine? Than you don't need a market for that.

irrelevant

Well, I had to choose between a market and a barn, and then another barn. I built the market (because of the vendor's capabilities compared with dumb barns), as I had plenty of logs and iron, and had saved a good location for it. No more markets, though.

@Nilla the smith is already built; he's in a good location, near the center of the map. If I put him by the mine, he's off in the boondocks. Of course, with the market, I could put him anywhere, but he is where he is.

irrelevant

Year 33

This looks promising. Concentrated on food (and barns) from the start.

Nilla

Yes, the perfect strategy! First slow, collecting as much stores as you can; than a fast growth. I think we will have a King of the Mountain soon.  ;)

irrelevant

Year 40

Coming down to the final push for pop. 34 houses queued up with foundations laid. I'll need another 15-20 after that. By then some barns will be emptied out, and I can replace each empty barn with 2 houses. Hopefully the food will hold out for the 6-8 years this will take. Food stock has fallen ~15k from the 168k maximum 4 years ago. Food production per worker has declined ~10% lately, I assume this is due to the difficulty in finding storage.

irrelevant

Year 47 - Pop 600

Might go up a bit more, but the crash is a'comin', both food and fuel.

Nilla

Yes I knew it! Congratulations!  :D

I will happily pass the crown to the true King (at least for the moment, let's see how our friend @Trizeropz will answer). ;)

I'm sure they will survive some more years. Don't forget all the stuff they have in their homes. My people survived almost a year longer, than I thought they would. So it will be an impressive population.