News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Creating a 3d model house in blender and making it available in game

Started by Discrepancy, June 26, 2016, 09:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hadrian900

I have made fresh mod, repeated steps, compiled without issues, but it still crashes the same as before when i place the building on the map.

I have attached archive of the mod and source file of the meshes for transparency.

RedKetchup

sorry took some time between commercial pub pauses in my hockey game....

your problem comes from the names "labels" you gave to your textures in your .fbx
i am not sure why but instead to give the name of your texture "izba"(.png) you gave the name of your AO files ???
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

hadrian900

It works fine and smooth.

I'm going to adjust some other maps and attempt to make mod with more than one building in it.

galensgranny

I like these little log houses with wooden roofs!  I am wanting such buildings for my game.  One that is a larger size would be splendid, like double the length.  It is wonderful to see more people are learning how to mod.   :)

kid1293

hadrian900

Modeling these log houses is time-consuming, given how you can't let down details and how many polygons you have to unwrap and adjust to avoid patterns repeating too much.

BlueFireChelle

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial... I just want to say.. Holy WOW this is hard!! I can't believe how long it's taking me to do anything, and I've only just managed to get up to the first row of horizontal beams. LOL!

RedKetchup

Quote from: BlueFireChelle on May 23, 2018, 04:25:23 AM
Thanks so much for posting this tutorial... I just want to say.. Holy WOW this is hard!! I can't believe how long it's taking me to do anything, and I've only just managed to get up to the first row of horizontal beams. LOL!

at our experience, it can take us from 4 hrs to 16 hrs of works to us to depending the complexity and details we want to add.

Voeille

4-16h? When I made plants, it takes me about 2 days, working on it basically every waking hour. In Banished it'll be even more because of coding part. But I'm not the fastest ever ;)

I want to say thanks for the tutorial too. It helped me a lot with getting things done in Blender.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Voeille on May 23, 2018, 03:39:52 PM
4-16h? When I made plants, it takes me about 2 days, working on it basically every waking hour. In Banished it'll be even more because of coding part. But I'm not the fastest ever ;)

I want to say thanks for the tutorial too. It helped me a lot with getting things done in Blender.

like i said, with our experience. 2-3 y of Banished Mod experience now. so it is normal at begining, you pass 2-3 days... even a week ^^

Discrepancy

I also had no experience in modding games or making anything 3d apart from in a CAD program back in school 15yrs earlier. And that didn't include any texturing.

I wrote this back when I started as a way for myself to learn and hopefully get others to follow. Back then it took me days to do something basic. And I'm not kidding when I say I spent months before just looking at and trying to get a grip with blender to just do those basics, learning some of the keyboard shortcuts makes all the difference in blender I think. I started by making a tree, and no way could I get that thing in banished... or any game. Don't even want to say how many faces it has.

I also now texture as I make the 3d model, it is nicer to do, allows more experimentation with details I think.
For a while I did unwrap the models so each plane had it's own place on the UV, but now I overlap quite a bit and re-use same parts of textures, and yes mirror them also sometimes.

Sometimes I can spend 1-3hrs making a model, or others can take me upwards of 36hrs+ on something with more detail. Sometimes I can do it within a day, other times it can get frustrating and work on the model slows to over a month or year...

basic code to get a model in the game can be quick once you get the hang of it : 10-15min.
but once you start getting into it more and experimenting with different code and UI, things slow down. For example the last week i have been updating mostly only the UI of the styth tower mod, I've added a few other models but at the most the 3d modelling/texturing has contributed to maybe 2-3% of the time spent on it. I've spent I think over 48hrs so far on it.
I thought this update would take a day at the most, but modding banished is a bit like a puzzle that has no solution, and very much like falling down a rabbit hole...

hadrian900

Assert: Source resource 'C:\Users\kraso\Desktop\BanishedKit\MyMods\Slav\Models\MaterialInstance\Pit_House.rsc' does not exist, and compiled resource not found in pack!

I have been brushing my files to find any reference to this path, to fix it, but it's not present there.

/MyMods/Slav /pathdat ../MyMods/Slav/bin
SRS Toolset version 1.0.7 Build 170910
Compiling 'SlavResources.rsc:resource'
Compiling 'Slav.rsc:Zem'
Compiling 'Template\Zem.rsc:resource'
Compiling 'Template\Zem.rsc:model'
Compiling 'Models\Zem\ZemBuild01Mesh.rsc:resource'
Warning: Source resource 'C:\Users\kraso\Desktop\BanishedKit\MyMods\Slav\Models\MaterialInstance\Pit_House.rsc' does not exist, and compiled resource not found in pack!
Object\ExternalFactory.cpp(312)

I haven't found any file which has link to this rsc file in my mod. I don't know what's going on.

kid1293

You have a link in your fbx to a texture named Pit_House (something) probably .png
You must provide the material file for that link.
Check your model if it is really in use. Else delete it.

hadrian900

Quote from: kid1293 on June 24, 2018, 09:45:58 AM
You have a link in your fbx to a texture named Pit_House (something) probably .png
You must provide the material file for that link.
Check your model if it is really in use. Else delete it.
The link is for .rsc file

This is how source file's links look like
http://prntscr.com/jysjsu