News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Dock deco

Started by Voeille, July 05, 2022, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voeille

I like making everything in my towns overgrown — including docks. This works with dock sets that have buildings at the ground level, as then any ground deco works, however for lower level buildings the regular deco is too high and floats. This can be worked around with 'higher' flower beds, however the ground covers cannot really be used. It would be nice to have ground covers that have a ground and low dock height variant (F key variant or another entry in the toolbar), so they would work on both levels.

jerica

I always love how gorgeous and green and full of plant life your towns are, and I love this idea! Beautiful!

River

Oh, this is nice! It's about time we had some decor for the docks!! Thanks, Voeillel! When's it ready?? Gimmie gimmie!!!!

:)
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

Voeille

I will check those water lilies out, that could be a nice addition to reeds from CC.

@River
There's no deco mod in progress, I was just throwing out ideas. The screenshot shows items from existing mods (RKEC, CC, DS Jetty & Bridge, Kid's Deco Flowers).

River

Awww. Rats. lol....

Was hoping for one simple mod for deco for docks only. sigh. Ok then.   :P
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

brads3

another option is terraforming. you can bring the ground up under some dock pieces, depends on mod. then plant that section. won't help out at the waters edge well thou.  would take experimenting some deco pieces might spread farther. RED's fodder does grow wide ,like a tile out from the tile it is centered on. not sure how noticable they would be since some dock pieces are lower.

Voeille

I like therraforming a lot, it's extremely useful in my situations, and it helps with the water edge too. If you have dock pieces near it, you can flatten nearby ground to make it more aligned and then put deco there.

The water lilies indeed work really nicely (the mod author kindly shared the source on the mod page so I went ahead and retextured them as I wanted them darker), and RK's dock farms are pretty much a decoration on their own. Kid's deco trees from the newest set have long roots going deeper underground, so they can be placed on docks as well without floating above. With all of that, a dedicated deco mod is probably not needed after all. Let this thread serve as an inspiration, if you have any pictures of how you decorate docks, it'd be interesting to see.

Kristahfer

Looking forward to this one.

brads3

i forgot to mention- EB has a deco mod that is for beach mods. chairs and tables and market stand deco's. that should work also. don't forget Necora's water riffle mod with sloped terraforming and some water turbulance pieces.

Voeille

I tried the water edge terraforming and it's a useful addition to the level 0 flatten tool. It will help with making the water edge look nicer after flattening some areas near it to build something.

I expanded the docks and I found out that a lot of deco from Kid's Fish & Ships set can go on water level — this gives even more possibilities.