News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Kid - Forest Outpost V2 fixed

Started by kid1293, February 19, 2017, 05:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@kid1293 looking at the picture of buildings together, I would say they look good together with the forest outpost. The stone is good. Better than with forest deep I think.  I think the chapel needs the roof changed to match one or both of the other roofs (and a cross)

For forest deep I think should stay more magical and naturish, I would like to see the doctor/spa for that mod a little more magical healing waterish if that makes any sense to you.  Maybe tree hammocks for the sick or something.  Do I hear laughter?

I would use forest outpost with forest deep so I don't think a separate 3rd is needed.

I like @tanypredator church picture.

kid1293

@QueryEverything  @Abandoned
I have already started splitting them from forest outpost.
I think it is the best regarding future updates.  ;)

Tree hammocks ???  ::)

@tanypredator - I want that church! (I've always liked log cabins/houses)
It has to be later, but the seed is sown.

taniu showed some nice pictures of a sauna (or 'banya' if you want) :)

edit - on second thought, Paeng wanted a new style, taniu showed log sauna, tany showed log church.
It leads me to - - - log houses for Forest Outpost! I can not promise.  :)

Maldrick

Absolutely love Forest Outpost and can't wait to see what you do with it.  Since I started playing with mods recently pretty much every game starts with Forest Outpost, and parts of Tiny (town hall and chopper usually, sometimes trader), often with some of Plimoth Plantation, too.  Always with New Flora, so thanks to Tanypreditor, also.

Regardless of where you put them, stone houses that fit with this will be amazing.  One thing I've been running into is most "low end"  or rustic houses are like vanilla wood houses as far as warmth goes, where the warmer ones are more "high end" like townhouses and such.  Which makes logical and aesthetic sense.  Problem is, you can only have so many wood houses, in vanilla terms, before it sinks you in firewood and when you overkill forestry and tend to do most of it first like I do you have to pretty much start using vanilla stone houses at a point or just use something that isn't necessarily a rustic "forest" look.  So stone houses that go with this set would be a real boon.  And they look amazing, too.  As do the other new buildings.  Love the town hall especially.

Thank you for all of this.  Your mods are amazing.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Maldrick

Actually...My current town starting settlement, as a matter of fact...:)

Seriously, thank you.  I'm having a blast with your mods.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

kid1293

Quote from: Maldrick on April 27, 2017, 01:12:22 PM
...Problem is, you can only have so many wood houses, in vanilla terms, before it sinks you in firewood...

If I make thicker log walls? Almost as warm as stone house?
That should do the trick.

Maldrick

Quote from: kid1293 on April 27, 2017, 02:40:53 PM

...Problem is, you can only have so many wood houses, in vanilla terms, before it sinks you in firewood...

Sounds great.

Actually, not to jack your thread with yet another question, but what do you guys do for that?  When you are trying to stick with a theme but the warmth of the housing you want to use is low?  Stay small? Import logs and jack up firewood production?

kid1293

Quote from: Maldrick on April 27, 2017, 02:55:44 PM
Actually, not to jack your thread with yet another question, but what do you guys do for that?  When you are trying to stick with a theme but the warmth of the housing you want to use is low?  Stay small? Import logs and jack up firewood production?

Yes import logs/export firewood, always stay on plus side.
Or several foresters. Later in game when there isn't a lot of forest you have to import anyway.
I am not the right person to ask. I usually run until around 200 persons then I quit.
The start is always fun. That's why I make the mods like they are. :)

Abandoned

@kid1293 looking forward to what you will come up with for these mods.  Don't forget suggestion about wagon or arrow sign post nomad attractor. 

I'm wondering if anyone else is having a problem downloading from drop box.  I get error 429 message saying site is generating too much traffic and temporarily disabled.

QueryEverything

Quote from: kid1293 on April 27, 2017, 11:31:43 AM
@QueryEverything  @Abandoned
I have already started splitting them from forest outpost.
I think it is the best regarding future updates.  ;)

Tree hammocks ???  ::)
-----
edit - on second thought, Paeng wanted a new style, taniu showed log sauna, tany showed log church.
It leads me to - - - log houses for Forest Outpost! I can not promise.  :)

Cool beans, happy to have them as they come @kid1293 , I have room in my file folder for them.  (times like this I wish the windata folder was better organised, that a folder tree was able to be used, but that's another complaint for another time ;) )
Hammocks wouldn't be a bad idea, there are some amazing hammock villages for daredevils I've seen on vacation shows.
Could play out a Robin Hood scenario where Robin whisks Marion off to a grand adventure, marrying her in a sweet nondescript stone chapel, deep in the forgotten forest, room only for those of their closest family and friends, escaping the bonfire celebrations to the seclude tree houses, and spending their days treating the others in their spa & hammock hospice, by night, creating mini Robin and Marion's by the fires of their woodfueled stoves ...  the life and loves of the Bannies, Robin & Marion.

Yip, can see it now!  :)

Anyway ....
Quote from: Maldrick on April 27, 2017, 02:55:44 PM
Quote from: kid1293 on April 27, 2017, 02:40:53 PM

Sounds great.

@Maldrick actually, a tip was given to another user the other week, use thatch for woodfuel (which is possible in the newest version), if you don't use NatDiv, but you use another mod which produces Lumber (I use @Necora Maritimes Pine Set), then have a Fuel chopper & Lumber cutter.  Export the Lumber for the additional wood needed for Fuel.  That way you're not having to split (pardon the pun, it was intended) your decision on how much "Wood Fuel" you need to export to gain Logs back.   If you use the new NatDiv files, you should be good with Thatch, Wood Fuel, and importing logs - if you need to.
I got up to 5,000 wood fuel without a house going cold the other day with the 3 mods.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Maldrick

Quote from: kid1293 on April 27, 2017, 03:06:48 PM
Yes import logs/export firewood, always stay on plus side.
Or several foresters. Later in game when there isn't a lot of forest you have to import anyway.
I am not the right person to ask. I usually run until around 200 persons then I quit.
The start is always fun. That's why I make the mods like they are. :)

Awesome, thank you.  I suspected that was going to be the way to go.  I mostly went for functionality in vanilla so balancing aesthetics with the rigors of the game is new territory.  Going for a kind of big one this time and have a feeling shameless overuse of your Small Town general trader and all manner of food products along with firewood is going to keep this current town heated, in the end.

Quote from: QueryEverything on April 27, 2017, 04:30:38 PM
@Maldrick actually, a tip was given to another user the other week, use thatch for woodfuel (which is possible in the newest version), if you don't use NatDiv, but you use another mod which produces Lumber (I use @Necora Maritimes Pine Set), then have a Fuel chopper & Lumber cutter.  Export the Lumber for the additional wood needed for Fuel.  That way you're not having to split (pardon the pun, it was intended) your decision on how much "Wood Fuel" you need to export to gain Logs back.   If you use the new NatDiv files, you should be good with Thatch, Wood Fuel, and importing logs - if you need to.
I got up to 5,000 wood fuel without a house going cold the other day with the 3 mods.

Still on 1.0.6, but I'll be upgrading after this map I'm working on now, I think, and I've been dying to check out both along with a lot of others.  Will keep that in mind, for sure.

I did, however, find a sawmill someplace before I found this site a few weeks ago.  Doesn't make lumber, but can have 3 workers and absolutely spits out firewood.  Restarted my map because I decided I wanted to do some things differently, but before I did I tested the sawmill in the "real world" as I had just completed the forestry area. Fully staffed and uncapped at full sail for a year, four of them produced 10k firewood and there's plenty of room for more.  But they totally outpaced the 7 forest clusters I had up and got me thinking about heating houses of unknown warmth en masse because I have no idea how big this town is going to wind up.  Just need to be ready to trade for logs earlier than I was thinking, probably.

Apologies for the sidetrack.  The insight from you guys is appreciated.

Forest Outpost has become a favorite in short order and seeing that more is coming is very exciting. :)

Discrepancy

I'm late to the party!

I agree @kid1293 , split them apart.
I like the new stone houses, but they look as though they've already left the forest  ;D

brads3

MALDRICK, i use the immortal tree mod so my forests get really dense. as you clear more land to expand yopu should have extra logs. i also use more wood which gives you 50% more logs per tree and NECORA's pine forests which do that as well. if i can get a good map for it,i like to build a village center and set several forests out around it usually a semi circle. this will also give you plenty of hunters for deer,leather, and wool. my forests got so thick i was glad to have the NAT DIV and REd's fodder to give meadows again.if you set up a town and forget to use some road options to decorate,the trees will come back and over grow thru the town again also.

kid1293

Maybe I started too much but it is very, very tempting to create a log house
update fot Forest Outpost.

Yes, the split of the new houses was on hold yesterday but I am on it now.

And my dropbox account have obviously not come back from 'overload'
so I posted the new Yard Cover in that thread.

ancientmuse

Looking at your forest outpost school, it would actually make a great mesh for a simple ghosted yard cover too as a decorative item to match the rest of the Forest Outpost buildings...?

I have no idea how difficult it would be to take the school mesh and ghost it as a decorative cover or whether or not it would even be worth the bother ?  I have no idea what it could be used for (maybe covering some storage crates or something) but looking at the school I automatically thought yard cover !  ;D

Just thought I would toss that idea out there if you're looking for more ideas on adding things to your Forest Outpost.

QueryEverything

I like that idea @ancientmuse :)

I see it and think it would look awesome over a firepit or BBQ, like we have here in Australia :) 
Scroll down here ; and here; yup here too ; even here ; us Aussies have a love for the outdoors :)

I think I've covered all I can on the outdoor bbqs ;) @kid1293 (not that I'm asking for a new fire cooking area either ... ) :)

*cough
see what I did there ?? 

{ps}  I also found this comment from the other day - I think it could work.  I was looking at the Mission theme the other day and I liked how the storage all fit in together, maybe that's something that can be looked at down the track for here, using the school cover or the existing houses, but hollow.

Quote from: QueryEverything on April 23, 2017, 05:44:41 AM
-----------
What about - hollowing out one of the houses, and using it as a 'storage' section, empty (like the middle sections of your storage in your Mission building), and we can place the new storage units in there (so, it would need to be all road tiles or ghosted), so, works just like your new storage shelters, but, smaller and fits in with the existing houses.  Just no walls :)
----------

Ok ...  now I'm done, haha.  And any ideas not picked up, let's put a 'pin' in it for another mod, one day. 
(ever the optimist), lol. 

Now I'm done ...  night @kid1293 thanks for the inspiration :D :D :D

Now I'm going to bed :)  Night forum.  :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]