News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RedKetchup - Creamery

Started by RedKetchup, September 06, 2014, 03:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

Hello.

in wait to see how my fence project will progress (in wait for help)...

i decided to use my time to something else in wait , instead to smash my head repeately on a wall or on my keyboard ... ^^

i decided to start a new project :) i have so many in my mind. ^^

Creamery.

My idea is to expand the milk production idea. To get to that, i am planning to :

1. Will need the milk production in my Cattle:Milk MOD (Dairy MOD)
2. Make a new building called : Creamery.
3. Make a new profession called : Dairyman
4. Take the Milk ressource and turn it into : Cheese and Whey. (and maybe cream or yogurt lol)

Of course i will take the 2 MOD and make only 1 MOD with it, One mod doing everything.

5. i will keep the 3D rendered bucket of milk.
6. i will provide new lovely icons for the cheese and whey and maybe more if more items.
7. i will use the apiary building example and start from there. (update: a building for it has been made!)
8. i am planning to take a 36 milk and process it into 6 to 8 cheese or 9 to 12 whey.
9. i can give about same values as milk units requires but if educated, so a little little profit from it.

insights , ideas , thoughts , and comments are always very very welcomed :)

and on this , i am providing some screenshots from my first steps :)

as i said : insights , ideas , thoughts , and comments are always very very welcomed :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

slink

It's my recollection that raw milk upon fermentation makes cheese and whey, not cheese and milk.  Churning raw milk makes butter and old-fashioned buttermilk.  Skimming raw milk makes cream and skim milk.  From cream, other things can be made.

RedKetchup

and the milk 3.25 % called ... homogenized ?

and pasteurized ?

RedKetchup

i guess i ll only do cheese and maybe cream, i dunno. and let the milk from as it was :P
i dunno, not getting alot of feedback ^^

irrelevant

Bro, I have to say, the only mod I'd really be interested in, would be to tweak the crops.

solarscreen

At least in the US, whole milk is 4%, then you start removing fat to make cream and butter. Then you get 2%, 1% or skim, and then non-fat.

You have to add an enzyme or an acid and bacteria to the milk to get the milk proteins to form curds and liquid whey, which is then further turned into cottage cheese if the curd if not pressed, or pressed curd is  further processed into cheese. Just fermenting milk with bacteria allows you to make yogurt.

Ruminating mammals, split hoof and 4 stomachs, have a natural enzyme in their stomachs so cheese production began maybe 8,000 years ago or so and most likely in sheep before goats and cattle.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

solarscreen

Pasteurization is where milk is heated to a high temperature long enough to kill pathogens, mostly bacteria.  Milk lasts longer and people live longer.

About a dozen diseases can be spread by raw milk, the most serious of which is listeria which comes with a 20% mortality rate.

Family farms that practice strict clean processes can provide "safe" raw milk, but mass quantities of milk from dairies must be pasteurized.

solarscreen

Homogenized milk is where the fat content has been processed mechanically or chemically to reduce fat globule size so that it blends smoothly with the protein and water content.

Another process used in modern milk is standardization.  Milk is not naturally pure white and mild in flavor. Cows will eat onions and other non grass items that impart a flavor not expected in commercial milk products.  Many different dairies are mixed together and then color and flavors are processed to make the milk you find in most stores.

rkelly17

Quote from: solarscreen on September 06, 2014, 05:49:51 PM
At least in the US, whole milk is 4%, then you start removing fat to make cream and butter. Then you get 2%, 1% or skim, and then non-fat.

You have to add an enzyme or an acid and bacteria to the milk to get the milk proteins to form curds and liquid whey, which is then further turned into cottage cheese if the curd if not pressed, or pressed curd is  further processed into cheese. Just fermenting milk with bacteria allows you to make yogurt.

Ruminating mammals, split hoof and 4 stomachs, have a natural enzyme in their stomachs so cheese production began maybe 8,000 years ago or so and most likely in sheep before goats and cattle.

Actually, the way they do it is to remove all cream and then add it back in for 1%, 2% and 4%. Fat content in milk varies with a number of factors, including variety of cow.

RedKetchup

but back to banished, and banished concept. what are you looking for a creamery should do, or would see to do ?

it seems the game doesnt support more than 1 goods crafted at the time. when you kill a deer a beef a sheep it can drop 2 things, but it s a drop. gatherers when they'scythe' a food in the wood , it s 1 item at the time, if they scythe an onion, they dont get 33 onion and 33 roots, no 1 at the time. Buildings have their own set of code, and you can produce 1 good at the time, but you can choose in a list what you want to do. like a tavern.

so if a creamery do many things, it will be 1 at the time and you choose from a menu.

so what you guys you want from a creamery building ?

1. cheese of course. 2. but anything else ?

i also know now, no people , or almost nobody are interested to get a creamery, i am probably the only one.
back in time people were saying... we need more buildings, we need more production chains .. but this wish is gone, i see.

RedKetchup

i also EDIT my 1st post to reflect what people said.

A Nonny Moose

Normally if you add rennet to whole milk you get cottage cheese (curds) and whey.  The whey can be returned as part of cattle fodder, the curds strained out in bags and compacted or just sold as cottage cheese with a little salt added.

To get other cheeses, specific bacteria are added.  Blue cheese is produced by injecting penecillium roquefortii into cheese rounds.  The bacterium may be found in some caves.  Otherwise ageing can produce cheese rounds for various types depending on the storage techniques.  Salt is always added as a preservative.

Quite often the environment of the storage cavern determines the type of cheese.

For Banished, I doubt if more than cottage cheese can be produced considering the rapacious appetite of the citizens.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

slink

I used to make quark by draining the whey from curds formed by the action of lactic acid on kefir, both of which were made in situ by bacteria.  I made something from my quark, by pressing and aging it, that tasted a little like cheddar cheese.  I stopped my experimentation when a second aged batch smelled like blue cheese.  Wild yeast is one thing, wild mold was another.

I am fine with a menu selection, but did you try this structure?

From cows:

ComponentDescription _rawMaterial
[
"Template/RawMaterialBeef.rsc"
"Template/RawMaterialLeather.rsc"
]

From cutting yard:

ComponentDescription _produceMaterial = "Template/RawMaterialFirewood.rsc";

Perhaps this will work:

ComponentDescription _ProduceMaterial
[
"Template/RawMaterialCheese.rsc"
"Template/RawMaterialWhey.rsc"
]

RedKetchup

ya but still, banished environment is still simplified. we dont 'preserve' food, no cabbage can live more than a month (maybe) in a wooden barn. it s not real life

so dont ask me to make refrigators or something (for milk and things we usually put in a frigo^^ icecream etc )

i just want to add some buildings and get more finished products. so can have more buildings to make bigger downtowns and with more things than just to put a school a blacksmith a tailor and woodcutter. and housing. it s starting to be dull