News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod suggestion: Food stretching facilities!

Started by Chon Waen, February 21, 2015, 08:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

Quote from: Chon Waen on February 23, 2015, 04:18:54 PM
Ooh! Salt preservation!
My inner evil is whispering in my ear:
"Make Bannies work in salt mine!"

Honestly, though, I do NOT want salt mines added regardless of how historically accurate it may be.

Can't be any worse than coal or iron mines, can they? You could add in @RedKetchup's Medieval mod and create Salzburg!  ;D Salt mines don't even need to be near mountains. In Goderich, Ontario there is one that extends way out under Lake Huron.  If you don't want salt mines you could add salt drying pans near a water source and pretend the water is salt water. These were quite common near oceans and salty lakes from ancient times. Sometime check out an aerial picture of the south end of San Francisco Bay. Salt pans can be very colorful.

Chon Waen

I've smelled salt pan areas in both the bay area and near salt lake city. No thanks, i don't want my bannies to experience that!!! Plus, I tend to hate "non-renewables" in general, along with happiness detractors in the game.
And there's no way you can tell me that an in-game salt processing facility would not make bannies unhappy!

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

Quote from: Chon Waen on February 25, 2015, 10:05:32 AM
I've smelled salt pan areas in both the bay area and near salt lake city. No thanks, i don't want my bannies to experience that!!! Plus, I tend to hate "non-renewables" in general, along with happiness detractors in the game.
And there's no way you can tell me that an in-game salt processing facility would not make bannies unhappy!

but if it is there, included in a mod... you would just not use this feature and still use the mod if it bring you something else .... and buy the 'salt'  from traders if you need it to do something ?

you wont put the mod in the garbage cause it 'contains' a salt mine ? ^^

Chon Waen

No, I'd trade for salt if I needed it, and maybe put a salt mine/pans in a game just to see it once or twice.  Tbh, i will probably never use the medieval hunting cabin residence, because I like my residences supplied by vendors, but if I like at least some of the things in a mod pack, I will tend to use that pack. Always my choice to use or not use objects within it. 

Thats almost a silly question, RK!

Nilla

There would not be necessary to make salt mines if you don't want to. You could be historically correct with or without them. In wast areas, here in Sweden as example, there were very little salt production and salt was a main trading good, very important and expensive.

Bracken

Quote from: rkelly17 on February 23, 2015, 07:07:07 AM
Quote from: Chon Waen on February 22, 2015, 12:51:09 PM
And although metal cans are 19th century, i really didn't want to go the route of trying to add either potters or coopers to the game and excessively complicate the processes.

However, if I were to choose one or the other, it would have to be cooper because I am not keen on the idea of clay pits (quarry)

Barrels of preserved foods were fairly common prior to cans. Thus the "cracker barrel" and "pickle barrel." Preserved meats (salted fish, salted beef) were usually in barrels. I'm not sure how far back the practice goes, but may have been connected with preserving foods in salt, which is quite ancient. Clay jars were earliest, no doubt, but barrels were common by the late Medieval period in Europe.

Actually metal cans were invented in the late 1700s, for the Napoleonic wars, because they didn't break as easily as the earliest glass cans. (Napoleon offered a reward for anyone who came up with a method of preserving food for the army. Canned food won)

rkelly17

Quote from: Bracken on February 26, 2015, 04:33:54 AM
Actually metal cans were invented in the late 1700s, for the Napoleonic wars, because they didn't break as easily as the earliest glass cans. (Napoleon offered a reward for anyone who came up with a method of preserving food for the army. Canned food won)

Thank you for the interesting information, @Bracken. That Napoleon was an ingenious devil. Do you know how widely canned food was used after 1815? Did it catch on fairly quickly or more slowly? I know among my parents' generation some WW2 veterans loved Spam and some never wanted to see it again as long as they lived.

Bracken

Quote from: rkelly17 on February 26, 2015, 05:42:15 AM
Quote from: Bracken on February 26, 2015, 04:33:54 AM

Thank you for the interesting information, @Bracken. That Napoleon was an ingenious devil. Do you know how widely canned food was used after 1815? Did it catch on fairly quickly or more slowly? I know among my parents' generation some WW2 veterans loved Spam and some never wanted to see it again as long as they lived.

It was widely used by all the armies in all the 19th century wars on the European side of the Atlantic. Civilian use took off in the 1850s-60s.

RedKetchup

rkelly17

Quote from: Bracken on February 26, 2015, 06:05:36 AM
It was widely used by all the armies in all the 19th century wars on the European side of the Atlantic. Civilian use took off in the 1850s-60s.

Again, thank you, @Bracken. I went and looked this up and the primary rations in the American Civil War included canned food--along with salted meat and hardtack. The can did cross the Atlantic. I'd be interested to know whether the British colonial armies took cans with them from home or had them produced locally. It was the British navy, after all, that figured out you could prevent scurvy (Vitamin C deficiency) by feeding sailors sauerkraut.

Chon Waen

Sauerkraut and citrus, why d'you think the British got the nickname of Limey?

rkelly17

Quote from: Chon Waen on February 27, 2015, 10:50:47 AM
Sauerkraut and citrus, why d'you think the British got the nickname of Limey?

Though the citrus came later and was not as widely used. Can't grow citrus where it freezes and it spoils faster (When I was a kid in So. California a big part of the smog was "smudge pots" in the orchards which burned oil to keep the oranges from freezing). They did also use citrus where it was readily available, but sauerkraut was easier for long voyages or in the North Atlantic.