News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - (North to) - Prospect - Story 18

Started by Abandoned, September 19, 2017, 02:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 18th story in the Smallville series.  It tells the tale of 3 families, way up north, that set off from North Mining Town heading west into the Majestic Mountains in search of gold. The story starts much later than any of the other stories, it begins in year 60 SVT.   It was inspired by Tom Sawyer's new Gold Rush version of The North and the song "North To Alaska" song by Johnny Horton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKY5NC2pgio

The map is #246864676   Mountain, Small,  Mild,  disasters Off,  Gold Seeker Start

Starting & Map Changing Mods:  Labor Window, RK Minimized Status

Tweak Mods:   Norseman (real time aging), Nomad sign Complete

Major or Must Have Mods:  The North v5.31,  (Mini Buildings-later Disabled), Kid's Forest Outpost

Supporting Mods:  DS Jetty and Bridges, Slink Stacked Houses, Snowman, Stone Tools, Storage Crates, Tiny Town Hall (106), Tiny Trader, Tiny Quarry, Village School

Special thanks to Tom Sawyer for updated version of The North, and to Savidan for the beautiful new World map.

So, weary traveler, I see you have one of Savidan's World Maps.  Did you know he was in the process of making that map way back when Riverview resort was being built?  After that, he and his group of surveyors came to North Mining Town while we were preparing to leave.  He waited to finish the map until we decided on a name for our town.  We hadn't really planned a town, more like staking a claim, so since we were going prospecting for gold we told him we'd name our town Prospect.  He said he heard "the rush is on" especially around that old white mountain, a little southeast of Nome.  Yes, weary traveler, Savidan and the gold rush literally put our town on the map.  Sit a spell and I'll tell you how it all began.

Whoyou13

wow, how to make that map? did you connect all the river of every town you made? and is the river connection/design in your map is actually the map's river of your gameplay? I am stunned. . .

brads3

that map is freaking AWESOME.you get the artist gold star for the year with that.can you do mine?? JK.no way i could do that artwork.

Abandoned

@Whoyou13 and @brads3 I wish I could take credit for this beautiful map but I cannot.  It actually was made by WOB member @Savidan using photoshop according to my roughly made map that appeared in the intro of each story since #10.  I had a map for my own use since story #1 Smallville and yes the rivers are as accurate as they can be.  I made the rough map to post after brads3 comment regarding by sending my bannies off in all directions it was hard to keep track of them.  :)

The rivers were changed several times to fit the storyline and fictional reasons were written into the stories.  Sometimes I find a map first and then a location on the map like #16 Bloomington and sometimes I pick the spot and then try to find a map to fit the location, not an easy task.  Savidan checked the stories and also made appropriate symbols to represent the towns, Smallville's greenhouse, Newport's tornado, North Mining Town's lighthouse and all the others. 

Savidan definitely deserves a gold star for the wonderful map and again, my thanks.  :)

brads3

i was joking about the map originally but it has been helpful to keep up and see where you are.hats off to @Savidan for the artwork.impressive

Tom Sawyer

What an epic world map. Remembers on Lords of the Rings or so. Great work @Savidan!

The in game map is a nice choice as well with natural looking tributaries. But the map is so small in mountains. Challenging and I hope your travelers can survive there. Will send a blueprint of a hunting cabin to help them out.

Abandoned

Thank you, @Tom Sawyer for the hunting cabin, I look forward to adding it to the map.  It will be awhile, I am many chapters ahead playing the map than writing the story.  I do like this mountain map, it is a beautiful setting for The North, and I thought the small tributaries would be good for prospecting.  We will see if they survive the Gold Rush  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

There were 10 of us, 6 adults and 4 children, who came here from North Mining Town.  Our parents came from Smallville and settled there some 25 years ago.  That thriving mining town is well know for its fine Dwarven tools.  We arrived here in Prospect with the best steel tools to be found anywhere and warm winter coats and plenty of venison.  Shedric, my husband, was the oldest of our group so most decision making would be up to us.  It was Shedric who wanted to undertake this journey after the prospectors showed up in NMT.

There were 3 of them, Sam McCord, George Pratt his partner, and his brother Billy too.  They had been prospecting for gold up in the Majestic Mountains.  They'd had enough of the cold and snow and being alone.  George wanted to find his sweet little Jenny and put a band of gold on her hand.  He hoped she was still waiting for him back in Smallville. Their claim below that big white mountain was ours if we wanted it.  There wasn't any settlement, they'd been living in tents.  Shedric wanted that claim; he wanted to find enough nuggets to put a band of gold on my hand.  I could not talk him out of it.  The other 2 couples weren't interested in gold, they just wanted to get away from the mines and blast furnaces of North Mining Town.  So it was decided, we would stake our claim.

We were preparing to head west into the mountains when a fellow named Savidan arrived in town.  He had been surveying the land and charting the ever changing rivers.  When told of our plans, he wanted to know what we planned to name our new town so he could include it on the new map.  He finished the map before we set off.  It was a very fine map indeed, don't you think?

We knew we were in the right place when we found the big lake that Sam and George told us about, so we set up camp immediately.  We all collected building materials then Shedric and I pitched a tent by the river and built a fishing pier.  Damare and Ameronie built and sturdy log cabin since they had 2 children and she began hunting.  Likewise, Ewellis and Fores built a cabin and she began cutting firewood.

It wasn't long before Shedric spotted some sparkles in the rocky riverbank.  A little digging and he found a small gold nugget.  He figured he'd need at least 200 of them to have a gold band made at the jewelers back in NMT.  He place the nugget in the small storage shed next to our tent.  By then our tiny town hall was built and before that first year ended we too had a warm and cozy log cabin home.  Our prospects for the future were looking good.

Whoyou13

thanks for the reply, with you people that I admired, when time comes I will continue also the Utopia I made with Banished gameplay. Thank you again

Abandoned

You are most welcome @Whoyou13 , I hope you enjoy the story.  We will look forward to another Utopia.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 2

In March of year 2 each family had a newborn, Ewellis and Fores' son, Anden, Damare and Ameronie's daughter, Ideline, and our daughter, Izabetter.  The tiniest fawns we'd ever seen were also born that spring.  Our hunter and forester in the north forest were happy when warm spring weather finally arrived.  The new hunter's tent would offer a bit of shelter.

Our iron ore processing chain was well underway.  Ameronie, wanting to be close to home began making charcoal and since we had no spare workers, she switched to making iron bloom.   The blacksmith shop, where the bloom would be processed into iron and then iron into tools, was almost finished.  Later, Ameronie really appreciated the warmth and the shelter of the blacksmith shop on those cool rainy autumn days.

I was glad to be close to home too.  Shedric was now forester and I took over fishing on the pier.  I could run home to warm up and check on Izabetter.  The house was nice and warm, there was plenty of firewood to collect under the trees.  Winter came early way up north here in the mountains, it was snowing already in October.  It was fantastically beautiful one snowy late winter day when the setting sun broke through the clouds casting long shadows and beams of sunlight on the snowy landscape.

brads3

how do you fish for chickens? i never seen anyone do that before.i think you mean ducks.

Abandoned

@brads3 I was surprised when I saw that too.  It has to be the black grouse, but what where they doing in the water swimming with the fishes.   ;D  I tried to come up with a believable reason to write into the story but  ? 

brads3

that's why i said ducks. i did have a issue before where either the duck hunter caught fish of the fisherman got ducks.

Abandoned

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that.  I guess we will never know.  :)