News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WIP: Natural Diversity

Started by Bartender, April 11, 2017, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

A reminder, my NatDiv ran fine as long as I didn't have New Flora activated with it.  New Flora loaded before NatDiv, no branches.  Loaded after, no New Flora spawners at all and terrible lag especially when raining even on a small map.  I would probably prefer Nat Div light with a few water rocks and those branches.  :)

RedKetchup

wow there is still alot of forest left in that country !
i wouldnt never thought that !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

In Holland?

O yes, it is a small country but one of the highest populated countries in the world.
About 17 million people live in a country about the size of 1/3 of Kentucky, USA.

My beloved wife could not believe it when I told her that when I first met her :)
Kentucky have about 4 million population and is about three time as big as Holland :)

But indeed there is still plenty of nature in Holland.
A area called "the Veluwe" is famous for it's many trees.

Holland had a sea inside the country. In 1933 they closed it off in the North with a Dike.

Later they developed so called Polders inside that then Lake and cities were build on that gathered land.
The city I lived before moving to the USA is called Lelystad and is named after Engineer Lely who developed a lot of the plans to make Holland save from the water.

About 1/3 of Holland is below sea level and the Dutch always had to fight against the water.
One of the reasons I think the Dutch are the best in building Levies/Dikes/land acclamations in the world.

The palm Islands by Dubai are created by a Dutch Company. They wanted to increase Rotterdam Harbor but they had a problem.
They could not go North, South and east because of towns and cities in that area so they decided to go into the sea instead :)

Maasvlakte 2 was ready to receive the biggest ships in the world about 2 or 3 years ago.

Another famous piece of Art is the "Maeslantkering" and was the last project of the so called "Deltawerken" which started in the 60's.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

i known that Netherland were below the sea level... i always asked myself they can feel secure to that ^^
specially with the sea levels will go alot higher in the next decades :P

Bartender

Haha, everyone always thinks we'll be the first to drown :P. In fact, we've been battling the water for centuries, so if anyone is up to the challenge then it's us ;). I predict that in a 100 years, Belgium and Germany will have sunk, and we'll be living quite comfortably behind our huge dams. We'll then build new islands where our neighbours once lived, and call them 'the New Netherlands' ;D.

In all seriousness, they've built a few rather large dams near the coast after the last big flood we had (in 1953), and we've never had any such flooding since ;). All the dams, dikes and dunes that protect us are constantly monitored and kept in good shape. There's also a lot of Dutch companies with great expertise in these kind of things, so if it ever turns out that our current protection is not enough, we have the means and the capacity to improve it.

These companies are also being hired all over the world to help protect against the water as embx said, so we're helping others to survive the coming climate change too :).

Savidan

The only country with a department just to ensured water level ^^

RedKetchup

so if the sea level go up 2 meter higher... you will able to make those dams go 2-3 meter higher ?

embx61

They estimated that the dams can be breached by a storm surge what only occurs once in 10.000 years.

But they have the technology to increase height if needed.

But the Dutch came with something new.
The Dutch even have several large plots of land with low population assigned so if there is a breach most of the water what flows in the country will be directed to those plots of land after evacuation of people and animals is completed to minimize casualties and damage.

They just give temporarily some land back to the sea.

Savidan

That why we are used to see mills associate with the netherlands. Not becaused mills were done for crops, but because mills were done to evacuate waters to earn land over the sea.

embx61

yes, a lot of windmills were build to regulate the groundwater level at low lands.
Now of course most are replaced by Turbines and many mills have been broken down.
But still there are quite a few windmills left and are on the Historical Buildings List so cannot be tempered with.

Most are tourist attractions.
But some are still used to regulate the groundwater level.
Famous are the windmills at the Dutch town of "Kinderdijk" in the Netherlands.
Several Mills are lined up to get the water out of the Polder into the channels just outside it.

embx61

A bit bored so a bit more about Rotterdam Harbor and the fight against the sea by the Dutch. :)

Below a image of Google maps with the new section of the Rotterdam Harbor "Maasvlakte 2"

Everything west of the 2 most west yellow blocks with N15 in them is new and build in the sea. the sand what was brought in from the North Sea bottom miles out with so called zuighopper ships and was sprayed with guidance of GPS to form the islands. Then a so called "blokkendam" a dam make of huge concrete blocks was put in place at the north side to protect against the sea.

The firm who did the construction (PUMA which is for this project several firms under one name) stayed so far under budget and project time table.
They are now in the process of constructing the Terminals.

About 3/4 right in the middle of the image you can see the two giant white arms of the "Measlantkering" in the river "Nieuwe Waterweg" (what stands for New Waterway) close to the yellow block N223 which was the last project and now the "Deltawerken" are done besides monitoring and maintenance.

At the "Maeslant kering" it is a computer which decide when to close it. No humans are involved. I think they closed the Maeslantkering only twice for testing purposes by humans.
It was a contest among architects and engineer firms to submit a design to close the "Nieuwe waterweg" in the event of a storm surge and this design won and several engineers in the world were not sure this design could work but the Dutch pulled it off. :)

RedKetchup

î can say thses people are genius engeneers

embx61

The link provides the progress in some images of spraying the sand to form the new land win which started in January 2009 from the air :)

Lots of more information in English on that site about the new Harbor. Interesting is also how the Dutch build the Quay walls by digging trenches and using Bentonite so no formwork was needed. :)

https://www.maasvlakte2.com/en/index/show/id/407/follow-the-progress-from-the-air

qubesquared

First of all, awesome mod. I just got into Banished and this is mod is amazing. However, I noticed a few times within the thread that you were looking into a solution where NatDiv can be used with the CC starting conditions. Have you figured out a solution yet? Is this something that is still on the things to do?

Bartender

Hi @qubesquared, thank you for your kind words :). I'm not aware of any possible way in which we could make our mod compatible with the CC starting conditions unfortunately :(. I might look into it a bit more at some point when we continue development. @despo_20 and I are both currently enjoying some well earned holidays and occupying ourselves with other things than modding, but after the summer ends we'll be back in full force ;).