Started by Nilla, October 23, 2014, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Pangaea

Quote from: rkelly17 on October 24, 2014, 08:44:12 AM
I'm somewhere between @Pangaea and @irrelevant on trade. I want my settlements to be mostly independent, but I also want them to be aesthetically pleasing. Quarries and mines are not aesthetically pleasing, so i usually build 8 or so TPs to make sure I get enough stone and iron after the easily collected surface supply is used up. Too many TPs along the river are not aesthetically pleasing.

As to making the game harder, I'm mixed. I start on Medium or Hard, so I really would not want to see firewood devalued--on Hard that is what gives you the possibility to trade for seeds and livestock at an early enough point to keep health from going down the drain--unless you use the honey mod as universal food or grain. I also think that it is realistic to have a decent trade value for ale. Beer, wine and liquor has always been a valued trade commodity, so why not in Banished? In many small, frontier communities trade was important to life, either in providing necessities that were not locally available (salt comes to mind in some areas--for preserving food) or for bringing in those things that take some of the edge off of life on the frontier (dishes, nicer cloth, etc.).

Just in case it wasn't clear, I can't stand the sight of Mines or Quarries either (especially Quarries), so I never build them. But it was absolutely no problem at all with only four TPs. I still had iron and stone coming out my ears when I made the mistake of ordering it from too many merchants that one time all stone was used up on laying stone roads everywhere while also building 100 or so stone houses.

Should be said that the last few decades I've used slink's no-seed merchant mod, so that means more useful trades, but four TPs has been no problem for a 3000-pop village, and at times I still had problems filling them up again.

Quote from: Nilla on October 24, 2014, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: Pangaea on October 24, 2014, 05:36:00 AM
It could be a compensation, but if people prefer to make the game easier, why use it at all? A few probably would, but not many. For instance, I'm pretty conservative with mod use, but do use some that, at least in combination, make the game easier. For example, Longer Living Orchards, grain silo, root cellar and better fields. All make the game a little easier, or less annoying if you will. But I don't really have an interest in doubling the food requirements for citizens or something like that.

A lot of this is contained in Template\Citizen.rsc btw.

I don't mean double, (I would maybe try that too. if there was a mod like that. but surly not very successful ;)  )

Template/Citizen? Sorry do not know that. Which mod is that?

It's not a mod, it's the file where a lot of these values are stored. Amount of food citizens use, and so on and so forth. If you are half-decent at reading code, the file is located in BanishedKit (wherever you installed it, if you use it)\resources\Template\Citizen.rsc

Denis de la Rive

I have found that self imposed limits can create great challenges that don't require a new mod, for example use only one of each production building, or play with disasters, I had a really bad tornado http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/eye-candy-decoration-mods-t122-15.html , and some fires, etc. You can also aim at the unique, or visually interesting, like farming slopes, town beautifying, or any other types of fun. Challenge yourself rather than change the game, you can set production objectives, like having so much of something by year X, just because the game doesn't have missions, should not stop you from trying something like that.  :)

JamieIdle

@Nilla changing the food requirement is easy, but the others are trickier. The numbers and what they do aren't clear on how cold effects citizens.

float _foodPerYear = 100;
   float _foodLevel = 25.0;
   float _hungerLevel = 10.0;
   float _starvingLevel = 18.0;
   float _maxHunger = 25.0;

float _retryInMonths = 0.1;

float _fuelLevel = 8.0;

float _coldnessLevel = 7.5;
   float _freezingLevel = 15.0;
   float _coldPerMonth [ 12.0, 8.0, 5.0 ]
   float _maxColdness = 20.0;
   float _minTemperature = 48.0;

int _toolQuality = 100;
   float _toolPenalty = 5.0;

int _requiredEducation = 400;
   float _educationTimeLength = 3.0;
   float _educationWorkLength = 10.0;

float _doctorChanceOfDeathScalar = 2.0;
   float _medicateWorkLength = 10.0;
   float _medicineEffectivenessInMonths = 0.01;

float _clothingLengthInMonths = 48.0;

Denis de la Rive

Quote from: JamieIdle on October 24, 2014, 04:42:54 PM
@Nilla changing the food requirement is easy, but the others are trickier. The numbers and what they do aren't clear on how cold effects citizens.

float _foodLevel = 25.0;
   float _maxHunger = 25.0;

float _fuelLevel = 8.0;

int _toolQuality = 100;

With this you can really customize the game for those who want it, if you need a tester I can help.

Nilla

Quote from: Pangaea on October 24, 2014, 01:36:28 PM

It's not a mod, it's the file where a lot of these values are stored. Amount of food citizens use, and so on and so forth. If you are half-decent at reading code, the file is located in BanishedKit (wherever you installed it, if you use it)\resources\Template\Citizen.rsc

Quote from: JamieIdle on October 24, 2014, 04:42:54 PM

float _foodLevel = 25.0;
   float _maxHunger = 25.0;

float _fuelLevel = 8.0;

int _toolQuality = 100;

I have no knowledge about modern programming, had never any ambitions, to make any mods myself, haven't even downloaded the modkit. In fact it is a bit embarrassing. I did have some programming at the university, even did some programming at the beginning of my career. But that was in a time, as the programming languages had names like Fortran and TurboPascal. Today I am happy, if my son is visiting, when there are something, that had to be done with the computers :(  :-[

But maybe, when I made this game I will try. I have seen there are videos showing some basics and if you all say it is easy........  :-\

irrelevant

@Nilla I also wrote programs in Fortran back in 1981. The name of the course was "The Computer in Business." Over the entire semester there was not a single mention of the possibility that one day every desk would have a computer sitting on it. Probably because the school just had a single computer that filled a good-sized room. That was a different world.

slink

Indeed it was.  We worshiped at the altars of the computer science students who took our decks of cards, and they reluctantly handed out new JCL cards if we mangled ours.  Later I learned to both program Fortran on a CP/M computer, and to program in JCL.  Eventually I learned all of the old mainframe languages in their translations to PCs.  Things were simpler then.  Languages were procedural and the user be damned.  We didn't have people talking in snake or in a morning beverage.   ;D

And that was just a sideline in my original career as a scientist, that became my mainstay when regulation took out the USA chemical industry.