News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Barns have an In Door and an Out Door --NOT!

Started by irrelevant, July 07, 2014, 07:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

I noticed this happening this morning, and then coincidentally someone posted a little diagram on the SRS forum. I've been watching it happen here all evening. It seems invariable.

Yes, they will walk all the way around the barn to get to the "right" door. ::)  :o

http://shiningrocksoftware.com/forum/discussion/3916/workerstorehouse-issue#Item_2

If it matters to you (and yes, sometimes it will) the In Door will be on the end facing you when the lower, stepped-down portion of the barn roof is on your right hand. The Laws of Probability being how they are, approximately half of my barns are facing the wrong way.

One more thing.

mariesalias

I knew they only went to one side of the barn but I thought it was always the side the arrows were pointing outward when you place it.

irrelevant

@mariesalias OMG I never noticed that! The barns have direction arrows when you are placing them  :-[  ::)

I noticed the arrows, I never noticed they weren't the same on both ends.

rkelly17

Quote from: mariesalias on July 07, 2014, 07:26:09 PM
I knew they only went to one side of the barn but I thought it was always the side the arrows were pointing outward when you place it.
Quote from: irrelevant on July 07, 2014, 07:39:00 PM
@mariesalias OMG I never noticed that! The barns have direction arrows when you are placing them  :-[  ::)

I noticed the arrows, I never noticed they weren't the same on both ends.

I really should pay more attention. Like @irrelevant I never noticed the arrows at all. Do any other buildings have arrows or only barns? And who knew that the citizens were so into order that they would only go in the entrance?

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 07, 2014, 07:54:37 PM
I really should pay more attention. Like @irrelevant I never noticed the arrows at all. Do any other buildings have arrows or only barns? And who knew that the citizens were so into order that they would only go in the entrance?

@rkelly17  Yeah, why doesn't that work at Wal-Mart?  ;)

Buildings that overlap roadways all have the arrows, but only barns have them on both ends.

tomplum68

i never noticed that either...now i have to wait to get home to check my barns

mariesalias

I think all the other buildings only have one entrance so one set of arrows.

Kaldir

After reading this, I checked one of my barns. I'm experimenting with a town without tools, which made it quite easy to track my citizens; they all have a yellow tool symbol above their head. What I saw was gatherers drop off their good at both doors. So no in and out door, as far as I noticed. See screenshots, all with the same barn.

Vendors only collected from the south door from this barn, but I guess that is because the road is there.

irrelevant

@Kaldir  That is so strange. My guys are being very picky about using one door in preference to the other. Are you on 1.0.3?

Kaldir

Paeng

Quote from: Kaldir on July 08, 2014, 10:55:33 AMSo no in and out door, as far as I noticed.

Yeah, I have not managed to get any sense into this either... My "conclusion" at this point - they always drop it at the farthest possible end, just to spite me...  ::)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

I thought I had discovered the same thing, some months ago.  Namely, that the people only used the door that is facing south in the original placement.  Then someone said that wasn't true, and I also found that in some circumstances they were using the other end.  I did not, until someone mentioned it above, notice that the arrows are pointing the same way on both ends of the barn.  That is, that they are pointing outward on one end and inward on the other end.  If I two barns up end-to-end, the barn that is "behind" the first barn seems to never get used.  Perhaps that is caused by an overlap of the arrows? 

Path-finding is strange.  *laughs*  Did you ever wonder about your own ability to find a path?  Granted that our sensory input is very much more dense in information than that of the units in a game, they also have a much simpler world to move in.  And yet, we can glance around and move to the most appropriate spot without any apparent thought, while they make silly mistakes.  And unlike my Lego robots, we don't have to walk into things in order to change course.   ;D

mariesalias

I often place barns end-to-end and it does not seem to stop my people from filling them. Especially now that I am doing so much farming. Geez, so many barns....