News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

rkelly17 - Jeddie Valley: Return to Banished

Started by rkelly17, June 10, 2018, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkelly17

The church is still there and still used. You really can see it from the freeway (US 101), but you have to know just when to look to your right Northbound. The two best places to see a mission in something more like the original setting are La Purisima, near Lompoc, California, about an hour or hour and a half North of Ventura, and San Antonio, which is way in the back country between Paso Robles and Salinas.

rkelly17

Summer Year 40

The last 10 years have seen significant growth in population, building and territory. One result of the population growth is the need for more food. This first picture is four farms built near Farmington around year 32.

Soon after this we laid out a new village south of San Buenaventura. Because there were so many adults waiting for houses, the plans for a village became the plans for a town with significant population, the most important production buildings, a large church, cemetery, and a town hall. This town also included food production. The earliest food producing building was the fishing dock at the bend in the river. We have found that the more water their is in the circle of a fishing dock, the more fish produced, so this bend was an ideal river location for fishing. The bend also gave the new town its name: Riverbend. Next up were pastures for pigs and sheep. This brings our livestock totals to 4 sheep pastures, 3 pig pastures, and 1 chicken pasture. With all of this livestock we added butchers in Northriver to process meat. To use the tallow produced we also built a chandler. Finally we added two farms between Riverbend and San Buenaventura. If you look carefully at the far left of the picture you can also see a new tunnel which connects Riverbend to the forest villages to the East. Just out of the picture to the South of the tunnel is a new hospital.

As we were building Riverbend we made an important discovery from talking to one of the more loquacious merchants. It seems that the Jeddie River is navigable by ocean-going ships as far as our valley, though not through the whole valley. The deep water ends just South of Riverbend. Since there is no space along the river to fit docks for such large vessels, nor any space to turn a large ship around, we thought that this information would not be of much use to us. Then someone suggested that the lake south of Riverbend was not all that far from the river and we could build a canal from the river to the lake. While a ship could not turn completely around in the river, there was room for a ship of appropriate size to make a turn into a channel.

We immediately set to work digging a canal and laying out a new town. The dirt dug up for the canal along with dirt from digging the tunnel and dirt left from leveling a small hill for farms was used to create space for docks on the West side of the lake. We also had to do some dredging in the lake and that left more than enough to complete landfill for the dock area. That is where we established the new town of Lockport. As of Year 40 we have not come close to finishing the town, but we have built a market and housing. Because we envision this as perhaps the most significant town in the valley we built a college to see to educational needs. As of this Summer we have attracted two ships whose captains have agreed to make our valley the base for their whaling and sealing expeditions. We have built up some of the docks and begun work on storage barns and an oil press to make lamp oil from the whale blubber. We are also building some housing along the waterfront for the sailors and their families. That should be finished before Winter.

Map and stats:

I'm not sure whether or not there will be a report from Year 50. I'm itching to conclude this settlement and start a map with the latest version of @RedKetchup's latest Editor's Choice, so we'll have to see.

Gatherer

I would like to see a picture of the finished docks.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

rkelly17

Quote from: Gatherer on June 24, 2018, 03:02:00 AM
I would like to see a picture of the finished docks.

Your vote has been duly recorded. At the moment I have the hull parts for two more ships and I will likely put one or two comprehensive trading posts, not to mention a few places for the sailors to unwind after a long stint at sea. I do sort of want to finish off the seaport.

rkelly17

Jeddie, Summer of Year 50

After being mercilessly harassed by @Gatherer,   ;D  :P   I have relented for one more decade.

So, by popular demand, here is the waterfront, first from North and then from South. It is mostly complete. The waterfront construction is complete, but if I were going to keep this town going I would finish off covering up the fill with ghost decoration texture squares and various decorative plants.; I'd also use ghost decorations to add to clutter on the docks.

I also thought that I would show off some of my attempts at town center decorations. The first picture is a small fountain park in Westbend, then the center of Lockport. The third is a memorial to the pioneer generation built in front of the pioneer cemetery and next to the first parish house.

If I were going to keep this town going the most crucial thing to take care of is food production. While I was working on the waterfront I lost a bit of focus on food. I also split one herd of sheep, one herd of pigs, and the chicken flock to populate new pastures. That always cuts down on meat production for a time. In year 49 I completed four new farms, but more are needed. If I were to keep going I might put two fishing docks in the lake near Lockport. Another possibility is to expand to the North. The settlement could also use a new forest node, for which there is plenty of space West of Lockport.

But, as I said, I want to get on to Red's Editor's Choice, so the Jeddie Valley will have to go into the deep freeze.

Abandoned

:) Enjoyed seeing Jeddie Valley grow, especially like the center of Lockport.  Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

brads3

LOL,he is good at talking you into something. i know the anxios feeling of wanting to start the next map quite well. am curious to see how i can set these mods up for RED's new animals myself.

rkelly17

Thank you all. We do like to keep our voters happy  ;D