News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Can't use certain mods at same time?

Started by marmaladema, April 04, 2017, 11:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmaladema

I don't use steam because my computer is an ancient POS and cannot handle it.  So yeah, I am using the standalone version of the game (of which I do have the most recent release). 

I am running into some issues though, trying to use multiple mods with the prefix of EB or DS.  I can only use one, the others show as a conflict?  Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to tweak game settings?  or can I still use them despite the reported conflict and take my chances?

RedKetchup

dont worry, red conflicts ( we call that red warnings*) doesnt mean anything really bad. it is just a warning that let you know certain mods are using some resources from each other and things are shared between mods

and more lately, we decided to all use the same new created toolbar to free the vanilla toolbar.
and in the same time, since we all use the same icon, it automatically flag all the mods with a red warning. the code for the creation of that icon in the toolbar are set in all our mods, all our mods have an exact copy of that icon. so it flags all mods "red"

but dont worry , it is normal and it is 100% safe :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

due to the community icon button mods should show red conflict. did you try them in a game?? they may work fine. you may or may not even notice subtle texture differences with 1 mod above another in the mod order.this is 1 bad change the community icon has . all mods now turn red even when they actually do work together.problem is mods that do conflict can't be found and shuffled in the mod order until you notice problems in game.1 reason i have tried to keep an old file for the original mod order before the 1.07 and the invent of the community button.

RedKetchup

dont make it too much "elaborated" , "complicated" and "scary" more than it is @brads3  ^^
99,8% of all red conflicts are nothing and benign !!

the only real conflicts are for mods they are in alpha or beta stages until they are fixed ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

marmaladema

thanks for the responses.  I have been avoiding anything that conflicted and now feel like an idiot because I didn't need to be doing that.

Discrepancy

:)
always better to err on the side of caution.

So to clarify, all of my mods will show up Red in the mod list due to shared resources, but they will all work together.

Abandoned

@brads3 How did you keep a copy of the old mod order before updating?  Did you activate all the mods, (exit & restart ) then start a map, and save it?

marmaladema

I did find that some absolutely would not play nice, perhaps it was the order they were in.   Banished has sort of become my insomnia-buster, so I like to try different starts to see how things play out.

brads3

ABANDONED, i have a 1.06 game folder with all the mods i was using in it. then started a file with the 1.07 upgrades.plus i did keep a save game file since the registry will shuffle the mods around when i switch versions. the save game does keep a copy of the mod order.  actually just last week,  i upgraded the CC journey and deleted my saves. i should go rescue a couple of the older saves.most of the mods i am using are still before the community icon and 1.07.the only conflict i had was between CC and NECORA'S pine set charcoal.

Abandoned

Hi @brads3 thanks for info.  If I'm not mistaken, you and Hawk have more than 1 install.  If I update, I only want one install but I want to preserve exactly what I have now that I know works without problems.  I know which ones conflict, still need to update my notes. I thought I would try to set up folders with groups of mods like @Paeng does.

Right now I am still trying cc journey, the last version for 1.0.6.  I had some crashes and freeze ups using only cc & some of Kralyergs mods.  I think some of the start conditions with different trees might be too much for my video card but so far my laptop has not melted the placemat to my kitchen table.  :D  There is some really neat stuff in cc.

QueryEverything

@Abandoned every time I want to do a major overhaul I copy & paste the Windata folder and the save game folder.

If I particularly love a map I am on I create a new folder and save the map (and all it's saves), and a copy of all the mods in use, and if I need to, the order of the mods in a notepad file.

I don't currently do it that way due to the 'going with the flow' and haven't had a map I *must* keep forever.  Maybe when I get to play for a bit I will, but for now just keep the seed details is enough for me if I love the layout.  :)

I will keep a master file of saves for maps I do love, before I build, if I want to use that map as a starter for all my tests.

I also do a backup every day when I play, once I have the newest mods installed.

My routine (regular, not including the above)
Each day after downloading the mods I want to try next
1)  open the banished 'backups folder' I created, create a new folder:  20170409 backups - v107 - cc175  (these will depend on the current version etc)
2)  open the Banished folder, copy the windata folder as a whole
3)  paste the entre Windata folder into the folder I have just now created above:  20170409 backups - v107 - cc175\windata
4)  save any maps if I want to keep them linked to this current personal build:  20170409 backups - v107 - cc175\maps
5)  copy (not move) all the new mods into the Banished\Windata folder
6)  move the mods to their designated backup folder (not the above)  personal drive\games\banished\backups\version\mods\website\modder\files (in some cases I will change the file name to represent the version of the file)
7)  start a new game
8)  enable all the new mods, rearrange them as I need them
9)  exit the game completely
10) load the game and play

I know it seems time consuming, but it's really not as I have the core folders shortlinked to my start menu, and I'm so used to it by now.  I'm just lucky I have a really big harddrive :D 

I will eventually write a little .bat file which will do most of this automatically (the folder and mod updates etc), but for now it's quicker for me to do it manually each time I want to update my mods.

I have yet to figure out how to run 2 instances of Banished, with the 2 different versions, I am hoping that those that have managed it will share in a separate topic the step by step way of doing it.  I think @Hawk has done it, but wasn't sure on the exact way it was implemented.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

brads3

all i did was copy the entire banished folder to another file on my desktop,renamed it banished 1.07. and then i upgraded the new file to tghe 1.07. this way if i screwed up on the upgrade i didn't kill my game.i still have 2 banished icons on my desktop 1 for the 1.06 and the new 1.07,just rename 1 so you can tell them apart. i can actually load both games at once. i did it comparing mod versions before.
   just right click on the banished icon,go to "open file location".take you to the banished folder,copy everything in that folder to a new folder.then make a shortcut for the app icon ,and rename it before you throw it back onto the dektop. i doubt this will work for stream users.
        the other reason i kept it this way is most of the mods i have are not updated yet. this way i could load the new versions and put them in a 1.07 file as they were upgraded.yet i could keep playing the way i was used to.it was only last week,that i upgraded the CC journey to 1.07.it is a good way to have a backup.

Abandoned

@brads3 that sound simple enough to do and a good back up, thanks.  If I update my game and don't like the changes, I want to be able to go back to what I have now.  The mod list is going to be huge, 3 or 4 times the size.  It is already time consuming adding a new mod and putting it in order. That's why I was thinking of trying @Paeng system of separate folders for themes, then smaller mod lists and less worry about red warning. 

@QueryEverything thanks for explaining your system. It sounds as if you have everything well backed up.  Saving individual folders with copies of mods used sounds like a good idea.   

How I've been doing it has worked very well so far but that will change if I backup my game.

My system has been to download mods and save either the zip or a copy of the file itself to a backup folder before putting the file in Windata.  The tedious part is arranging it in the mod list.  I have game changers first (like maps, music, start conditions, etc) then major mods (like CC, DS small village, Kids, the North, NMT etc. plus mods that must go before) followed by smaller individual mods and tweaks in alphabetical order.  I have the mod list written in a spiral notebook with version numbers and notes on what goes good with what and what not to use together.  I also have a page for each past map with seed number etc and mods used.  When I pick mods for a new map I refer to that notebook.  The game changers and major mods cause a few red warning flags but easy to check. That will change. :(   I have not saved any saved games of past small maps only screen shots and notebook info and stories.  When swapping updated mods the list stays the same.  My notebook badly needs rewriting with all new additions and version numbers and squeezed in scribbles.  Then I'll copy the whole Windata file and decide on updating.  :-\  There are a lot of great new mods to try.

I'm hoping @Paeng will tell us his system, I believe he has separate folders of mod groupings.

brads3

keeping notes is a good idea. as for having more mods with the new update and the community icon, that depends on how you want to play it. you have more options with the modular mods. you don't have to load every piece. pick and choose.i hope CC puts some of their production chains out this way too.plus not all mods have been upgrade. the old mods do work,so you can choose not to upgade them all also.there are only  a few mods that are affected by the new resource tags enough to cause conflicts.i only have a couple mods under the new community icon.i do have most of the upgaded mods in the 1.07 folder.

Paeng

Quote from: Abandoned on April 08, 2017, 04:44:04 AMhoping Paeng will tell us his system, I believe he has separate folders of mod groupings.

Well, recently my system has been revamped - I decided to play only mods that are "107-ready"... so all these mods are in their own folder (attach 1).

In there I collect the updates and version numbers (attach 2, with Kid's mods as sample).
* and I'm much grateful for consistent version numbers  ;)

When I'm ready to start a new town, I clean out all old files and the registry, then decide whether I'll play a "heavy" game (with CC) or a "light" game (without CC)... fire up Banished, search a nice seed, starting conditions and so on, save and exit - by this time I have an image what direction this will (maybe) go (climate, vegetation etc.) and now assemble my primary suite of mods.

On heavy, that will be just CC plus a few of my favorites - then I'll add all other mods slowly as I progress.

On light, it takes a bit more thought. First I pull some basics from all modders (attach 3) plus an array of what I deem "essentials" (attach 4), needed overrides, standalones from BL or Tom and so on - that list can vary though, or gets completely revamped from time to time, as mods evolve. And, as above, I'll slowly add more mods as I go along and my town grows up.

I have similar 'suites', e.g. for playing "The North", "Arid" (e.g. desert, mission, mexican, tequila), "Beta Testing" and so on, though they are not static, they flow with my mood, newly released mods, self-imposed challenges... they are just the basics I use for starting a town... though often that's all I need, many times I hardly need to add more mods.

This may sound tedious, but it's not really that... main key (to me) is to keep Banished itself and all the released mods up2date... everything else follows  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]