News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Arbors and water lilies

Started by tanypredator, January 31, 2017, 10:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QueryEverything

@tanypredator just wanted to drop by & let you know that @kralyerg has talked about how they got the reeds to spawn at the water level, I've asked & he said I could share the link :) 

I hope this helps, if you decide you want to have your water flora spawning natively :)
http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/1005-balancing-production-of-crops-and-gatherers/&do=findComment&comment=4323

PS:  Just loaded your newest version into a new map I'm using to Beta a couple of mods updated overnight, so when I get to laying out the decorations, I'll be back :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

kralyerg

From the CC NaturalResourceReed file:

float _minHeight = -0.5f;
   float _maxHeight = -0.1f;
   float _maxAngle = 0.75f;   

We didn't want the reeds out in the water, so that min/max is more of a "shore" thing. I'm sure if you change the _minHeight even lower it will allow deep water growth.  The Reeds in CC don't grow on their own, but that was intentional. All you need to do is turn on the autoSeed and they'll respawn themselves.

I'm not sure how to make them disappear in the winter, though.  You could possibly make it a "tree" with an invisible trunk and the lily as leaves and they would disappear in the winter, but they would also change colors in the fall.

brads3

KRALYERG,so you are saying we can make things and they will self-multiply and spread all over the map??? not just limited to a gather/forest circle??
we could take some ghost animals and do that and use them for furs,just they won't walk around on their own.

kralyerg

@brad3 That's how trees work.  That part isn't very complicated.

tanypredator

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 02, 2017, 02:24:24 PM
I can give it a try in blender if you like and don't have enough time @tanypredator.

Thank you for suggesting that. I updated mod on a download page with a source, so you can take it and try to do something, if you are willing to. And, as usually, I don't mind anyone to take it and use for anything.

@QueryEverything, @kralyerg, thank you very much for this information! A new fiel for experiments... ::)

Tom Sawyer

Thank you for sharing the source @tanypredator. I tried to solve the moire problem by this idea of thicker leaves but failed. The solution I have found was to clear up the model and break the flat area of the leaves. It reduces moire. A nice side effect are lowered vertices. So it looks In Blender and in game. The white plants on the left are changed.

elemental

That's quite an improvement. Clever thinking.  :)  Would you be able to share your underwater rocks with tany, so they can go in this waterlily mod? The two of them look perfect together.

I noticed some more moire last night while I was playing. @Discrepancy has some nice walls. The tops of those walls are a flat rectangular slab. Some pieces have no moire but other pieces have moire on part of them. For example the corner wall piece has moire on one half but not the other half. It's really weird.

Also, Discrepancy's market tents have moire but if you look at the fabric coverings on the CC Central Market you see no moire. It's very strange.

kid1293

Maybe it has to do with angles.
A perfectly flat area maybe produce moire effect?

Perfectly flat as in laying on the ground.

QueryEverything

@tanypredator my pleasure, I didn't do much just link the 2 of you together :)

I'm loving the community "pull" on dev work, it's very family oriented.  :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

tanypredator

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 03, 2017, 01:12:45 PM
Thank you for sharing the source @tanypredator. I tried to solve the moire problem by this idea of thicker leaves but failed. The solution I have found was to clear up the model and break the flat area of the leaves. It reduces moire. A nice side effect are lowered vertices. So it looks In Blender and in game. The white plants on the left are changed.

Great, thank you! I tried to "clear up the model" too (if you mean to delete doubles and to correct normals), but that gave no result. So what do you mean "to break the flat area"? I should do that with all models.

Tom Sawyer

With clean up I mean to removed all edges of the bottom side and of course doubled vertices too. I kept only the faces on top and moved the midpoint of the leaves downwards to "break" the horizontal area. You can see in the model. I send you the fbx file and steps.

The underwater rocks are just vanillas and placed by the game @elemental. We cannot make decorative items from it. With new models we could but only natural resources can be places on different ground levels.

Abandoned

@tanypredator the water lilies are absolutely fabulous.  One small problem I noticed with the wood arbor on ground level, there is one inside corner that has no flooring or snow in winter, just a triangle of grass.  Arbors are nice addition to the games.  Thank you

tanypredator

Quote from: Abandoned on February 09, 2017, 06:02:42 AM
@tanypredator the water lilies are absolutely fabulous.  One small problem I noticed with the wood arbor on ground level, there is one inside corner that has no flooring or snow in winter, just a triangle of grass.  Arbors are nice addition to the games.  Thank you

Hello! Is this problem with all wood arbors, or only with one? My point is that arbors on ground level don't flatten the ground (so you can build them over the water too), that's why it is important to choose a flat area to build them. I can make a version with flattening.

By the way, I'm working on iris flowers. I was able to make them swing like a tree, but they will not be covered with snow, since they are vertical. What do you think?

brads3

personally i would give up movement and have them covered with snow ,if that is a choice.

tanypredator

Quote from: brads3 on February 09, 2017, 08:02:58 AM
personally i would give up movement and have them covered with snow ,if that is a choice.

Unfortunately, no. As far as I can see, snow just don't want to cover vertical surfaces.