News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Isolationist challenge

Started by irrelevant, January 17, 2015, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

This thread on Reddit got me thinking: http://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/comments/2sruba/cant_keep_up_with_food_consumption_once_i_reach/

Let's face it, trading is what's most OP in this game. So, let's see how we do without it; see how far you could develop a town on a large map with no trading whatsoever.

That would mean going with whatever seeds and animals (if any) you got at the start.  I've never done an easy start because of the houses you get stuck with, but I'd want sheep, and houses can be demolished   ;)

I think I'll probably try this when I finish my uneducated town.

Mmdrgtobldrgn

I've combo'd this challenge with no education and living off the land in my NoContact save. So far my village is year 13 population 43 adults and almost 20 kids.
~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself

irrelevant

I don't know if I'm up to trying to fill up a map without building any schools :P Good luck! You should start a village blog.

rkelly17

Funny, but I find the easy start one of the hardest to keep up with early food needs--so many mouths to feed! So little time! Once one is rolling, though, it is nice to have several seeds and livestock already at hand. Without trading I'd have to go back to mines and quarries. I guess the dying miners and stone cutters would keep the population in check.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Well, unlimited mines/quarries would seem like cheats, are there other mods that would be like that?

Otherwise, I'd think mods would be okay, as long as the same mods are available to everyone.

RedKetchup

how a guy like me would ever play again without my awesome mods ? (if one day i decide to make a little town ^^)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Good idea. This game is an interesting one. Not easy. You might remember my efforts. I blogged it. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=339.0

irrelevant

@Nilla I'd forgotten! Those were good towns you did there; 2000 on a medium map without trade?? Amazing! That sets the bar pretty high.

Bobbi

It would be hard to convince me to going back to playing with no mods. I did these challenges. I found uneducated to be one of the most annoying I ever did. Very fond of education, I am. School one of the first buildings I throw up.

kee

I remember trying to get mountain men, isolationist and one with nature on the same map. Failed miserably with pop. at about 200 because I didn't pay attention and they were suddenly out of tools. Don't think it eould have worked in the end though, couldnt find enough room for both food production and houses snd the barns were all choking on leather and mushrooms.
Kim Erik

Mmdrgtobldrgn

I managed the one with nature achievement (hard start, harsh weather) with a final population of about 200 to 300, on a large map with education (tried without education it didn't end well for the bannies, they were unable to produce enough tools or firewood to maintain themselves). The amount of time for healthy population growth was long with education, I built a trade center as soon as I reached the achievement but by that point it was to late and while there were undeveloped areas of the map food in developed areas was to scarce to maintain any population, at which point my entire town died, despite recent arrivals of seed.
~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself

irrelevant

Farming in harsh weather is tough. unless you get wheat and/or squash.

Fullbosyx

It is not surprising that many people like this story.

child_of_air

I might have to try this. It sounds like fun. I think I could pull it off with an easy or medium start. But what mods aren't allowed? Or what mods are allowed?