News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Bodiam Castle

Started by child_of_air, September 07, 2018, 02:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Well, I have done what I can. You only say you don't like. What do you want?
I can not make those real life textures. They would be gigantic. And take a lot of time.
The first texture was the best. There were not much visible repeat pattern in it.
I always try very hard to come up with good textures but Banished is somewhat lo-res.

Abandoned

Not like vanilla, that is a shame since now there are already so many new vanilla building to choose from to add to the castle.

Abandoned

What about stone like Broadway Tower?

embx61

Bricks are always  hard to find a good texture for a big building like a castle.
Repeating seamless patterns cannot be avoided unless you put a texture in (If you can find it) like 4096x4096 what takes up a lot of memory.

I not even sure if banished support those gigantic textures.

Biggest texture I ever used is 1024x1024

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

kid1293

One way which has helped me is to use an asymmetrical pattern.
They can show up really good.

Check this. Note baker on courtyard.

@child_of_air - a little less boring :)

kid1293

child_of_air

I actually like #5....the one before the last.

child_of_air

I also like the stone on the Cathedral in your Gothic Fantasy (light) set. Maybe that? That way it can match.

galensgranny

Wow, Kid, that looks great!   I like buildings in the courtyard and if they can "work" that is super!  All the stone textures look good, but that sort of multi colored stone one is my favorite, the one you called "a little less boring". 

kid1293

Hi Granny!
That tipped the decision in favor of 'multi-colored' texture. It seems as if most people like it.
@child_of_air - I can always change it later :)

I now have smith, tailor, baker and butcher. A storage barn is on the way.
The castle is build-able on land. You have to save game first if you plan to
raise ground in a lake. It is a bit sensitive to placement. But once it is there...  :) :) :)

I must say that the suggestion about placing the castle in a lake was absolutely
the best solution. I don't like digging holes in the ground for a moat.

child_of_air

Agreed, I would not want to dig a moat either.

Kid, if you are feeling up to it you could make more than one texture we can access with the F key, that way they could fit into a variety of your other sets? I think that would be great, but it might be too much work for you. Anyway, I'm very excited to see your progress. Yay!

kid1293

:) I'll see what I can do. I wanted the castle to be unique but since
it is here I may as well use it.

Storage and school added. I have 'stolen' support buildings from my
Gothic Fantasy mod and re-textured.

galensgranny

Kid, such a huge castle will certainly be unique, even if there are F key texture variants.
With the additional buildings you are making, can they go inside the courtyard, or only able to be outside the castle?

kid1293

The support buildings go inside.
That was my intention from the beginning but I got some bumps on the road.
It is now totally land-based and you need to flatten an area in a lake to put it there.
I could not make normal house paths for the inside buildings. They are build-able
on roads and bannies will run right through if they get a chance. I have limited the
movement on courtyard. There should not be much running through walls.

I think I can release it soon.