RedKetchup

Quote from: Maldrick on January 22, 2018, 04:35:56 PM
@RedKetchup

Interesting...Just plug that in?

just rename it and replace your AO.png with this one and compile
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Maldrick

That fixed it!  Many thanks!  Great to see it all together, finally.  3 days of this. lol  The foundation didn't quite work out that well lol...Like wearing sneakers with a suit.  Was really just grabbing whatever looked okay to keep it moving.  Roof looks a lot better than I thought it would, though.

So I have to ask...What changed with your AO map?  And how did that work?  The elements don't have to be on the same physical location on the map to be recognized?

Totally new to all of this...I find the modelling, specifically, really intriguing.

Thanks again, RK. :)
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

RedKetchup

bah usually my .fbx doesnt contain any infos on the AO parts and doesnt have any infos about the textures. this is why it is a such so small file (few kbs) to compare other 3d files.
all the info are stored inside the .png or other 2D format files.

3dsmax program has a built in function to ask to create those png files which is made by a few clicks

but i never found those AO very accurate, it is like they arent baked into textures. for me it is good cause i can reuse the same texture over and over, thousands of time, in a big mod.
if you use an unique texture map for only that building, maybe the best results would have them baked into the mesh texture.

Maldrick

Have to see.  I'm going to try Necora's method tomorrow.  Like to get this sorted out with this one so I know what I'm doing next time better.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."

Maldrick

Also, a couple of other questions going forward...

Was thinking after I fix the AO mapping I would try to do some F variants...After I rework the textures on this one. Lol.  Is there a comprehensive discussion anywhere as to how to do that?  There's a discussion that relates to points that was helpful, but I'm still not even up to that point.  Not really sure how to approach it.  I'm certain I've seen it discussed but can't remember where.

Also, I would like to get better acquainted with the modkit and what all needs to be done for what.  Discrepancy's tutorial is excellent for getting started...with blender especially...I was completely lost when I started and by the next day was actually comfortable with it...but there's not a lot of explanation about the modkit in a general sense.  It gets you to do whats needed for this project but I don't really feel like I know anything I would need to do anything else.  How do people learn this?  Working with the examples in the kit?  The banishedinfo tutorial?

Ideally I'd like to learn as much on my own, if possible.

kid1293

Hi @Maldrick - Many people learn their way into the modkit by
making some simple override. (make mushroom weigh 1 instead of 4)
That way the structure of the modkit comes slowly.

I learned a lot from finding source code here and there and take it to tiny pieces. :)
The step up to work with models can also be troublesome. So many new things
all at the same time. Points, textures, footprints... All needed.

I guess you have to make errors first to fully understand how things work.
But don't hesitate to ask questions. Too generic questions are hard to answer.

Maldrick

Thanks @kid1293 .  I guess I just need to get into it and ask questions when I need to.  Just don't want to be a bother with simple things I should be able to figure out.

Actually, the modeling and texturing wasn't that bad with this one, besides that AO problem I couldn't figure out.  Discrepancy's tutorial is really great for getting started with that. I was literally clueless when I started and had to restart a few times because I saw things I could do better and did, but it really helped with overcoming that starting hump, so many thanks to @Discrepancy .  I've been looking at other general blender tutorials for taking it further.

But the mod kit is specific to the game and there isn't as much info around by comparison.  For getting started, that is.  I should go read the documentation again now that I've done something with it.  Basic structure and what needs to be where is what eludes me.  I'm also going to experiment with this one mod now that I've got a working one.

For specific questions, right now I'm trying to figure out how to approach f-variants.  If you are just altering textures, do you need a separate model for each or is there a way to do multiple UV maps for one mesh?  And if separate meshes, do they finalize in one fbx or separate?  From that other discussion, I'm assuming one.  That discussion was about points...how you can have multiple smoke points but not the others.  How does that work with variants of houses where the doors are in different locations?

Stuff like that all together has me not sure at all how to approach it.

RedKetchup

you can do 1 fbx with all inside or you can do 12 fbx with one model each. up to you, you decide it all with the links you give in the XXXXXMesh.rsc and XXXXXPicking.rsc files in the model folder.

about structure in the template, WoodHouse is the best example.

you will also notice you can only link 1 pointlist and 1 footprint. you cannot switch the use_001 point at all, only the smoke point. the smoke point in that case need not to be linked to point dummy anymore but linked to your mesh model. and also you dont put the link anymore in the template under particle system

if you need different footprint, then you need to enlarge your footprint.png and draw them in the empty zones. i ll put a copy of one of mine (all my models of woodhouse/stonehouse)

about AO files, yes you do an AO file for each different models and you give the proper links in their XXXXMesh.rsc files in the model folder.

OH BTW, if you have alot of trouble with these, like me for 2 years before i know how to make them, you can just put an empty white one and it will work perfectly !!! (a little 64x64 totally white will work perfectly) which i also put in attachment. i ve done that for 2 years long in all my models in all my mods.

kid1293

About f-variant.

You have a model and want to change texture.
You have a model ready (textured and AO mapped)
Just copy it and rename. Add a new material. Add texture-file to that material.
It should be made like the first texture file in sizes and positions of textures.
Go to edit mode and select all new building. Select second material slot (new one)
and click assign. That's all.

Doors and smoke and use... POINTS. In Blender I have no way to assign different
points-groups to different houses. They can be named other than 'points' but the build-points
must be there and Blender does not allow same name  :(
So one point group for all buildings in same file. If you want different you have to make
another fbx-file.

Smoke point are special. I haven't tested to put them under mesh tree so I don't know.

3DMAX is different and allows same name. Points placed under corresponding mesh tree.
What RK told they can all be called 'points'. I don't know.

Take your house and change something. Look in game what happens. Change code and test.
Ask us why your computer refuses to aknowledge you after that. ;D

Discrepancy

In terms of learning how the modkit works - there is no real documentation available.
The best way is like Kid1293 said and make small changes.

Explore and try to understand the game files in the resource folder of modkit.

to make a house with f-key variants, just take a look at the template of the vanilla houses - you are simply making more calls of 'decal', 'picking', 'model' & 'highlight'.

You will need to make another copy of the house 3d model if you are retexturing, you can do this in the same or different .fbx.  Just assign the other texture to it - if you don't adjust the building itself you can use the same AO image for both. Just do all the model code like the first house, then call it up in the template file.

When adding f-key variants with different shape houses and the smoke point is not in the same spot - Blender has an issue where we cannot add multiple smoke points with the same name.

If you look in the Woodhouse template file you will see:

ParticleDescription particle
{
ParticleAttachment _systems
[
{
Time _fadeInOutTime = 2.0;
bool _addOnCreate = false;
bool _addOnNotify = false;
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\Fire\FireSmall.rsc";
}
{
bool _addOnCreate = false;
Particle _particle = "ParticleSystems\ChimneySmoke\ChimneySmoke.rsc";
String _attachNode = "smoke";
}
]
}

this is the particle call but it does not include the pointlist file...
this is because the points for the smoke are actually attached to the building model, and not in the 'points' group.
With Blender you must export each house as a separate model .fbx if they are f-key variants with changing smoke points. The template file is calling the same named 'smoke' from all the different variants.

For each house, make individual .fbx, add a 'smoke' point to each models hierarchy in blender. Each smoke point must be named the same.

In terms of doors and footprints - they are a little different - citizen pathing for all the variants must be the same for each model as you can only input that within the 'createplaced' and 'map' in template file - this affects all variants.

Maldrick

Wow, awesome, thank you, gentlemen!  I'll need to sit down and start playing with it before everything makes sense, but you guys definitely got me back on track enough to get started. I'll have these posts up on the second box while I'm working, for sure.  I just wasn't sure what could be done and what limitations there are enough to wrap my head around how to approach it.  Many thanks!

About footprints...I was reading a bit about that earlier in some comments made in other threads.  The tutorial doesn't have you make one but the game seems to do it anyway, as shown on the pic.  But they are needed?  I gather it's a texture but how does it get there?  I don't think I've seen putting a plane in for it mentioned it anything like that?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Maldrick on January 23, 2018, 03:23:41 PM
About footprints...I was reading a bit about that earlier in some comments made in other threads.  The tutorial doesn't have you make one but the game seems to do it anyway, as shown on the pic.  But they are needed?  I gather it's a texture but how does it get there?  I don't think I've seen putting a plane in for it mentioned it anything like that?

the footprint texture is a transparent background .png on which you draw and paint some ground texture on it. it needs to respect the size of 64,128,256,512,1024... digits.
i use a totally free painting program called Gimp 2.0 and i made myself a special brush made from a screenshot of the storeyard ground and i just "paint" the zones i need to put some ground.

Maldrick

Quote from: kid1293 on January 23, 2018, 03:10:55 PM

Doors and smoke and use... POINTS. In Blender I have no way to assign different
points-groups to different houses. They can be named other than 'points' but the build-points
must be there and Blender does not allow same name  :(
So one point group for all buildings in same file. If you want different you have to make
another fbx-file.

Smoke point are special. I haven't tested to put them under mesh tree so I don't know.

So if I'm reading correctly, you can have multiple sets of points if each model has it's own fbx...Just have them called individually in the coding?  Forgive me for not being more specific, I don't have it in front of me and I'm very fuzzy on which is which.  Or, no, only one set of points (besides smoke) regardless of approach?

Quote from: Discrepancy on January 23, 2018, 03:12:47 PM

In terms of doors and footprints - they are a little different - citizen pathing for all the variants must be the same for each model as you can only input that within the 'createplaced' and 'map' in template file - this affects all variants.

That's right...I remember setting that...The map thing where you define each square along with the road tiles.  So there's only one per building regardless of how many F-variants.

So how do you accommodate different doors in different places?  Is the door sometimes just cosmetic and they are actually accessing the building through a wall?  Not sure I've ever noticed but was never looking for it, either.

I'm going to keep it simple with this one and probably just stick with the one mesh and just vary the textures.  But I'm thinking ahead to the next one and I'm really curious about this.

RedKetchup

yes the doors are just cosmetics. did you played my beta ? where you have 6 different models for each kind of housing ? and noticed the doors where everytime at a different place ? and you had citizen going for the same spot in front of the house ? and not in front of each door ?

yeah only 1 use_001 point is allowed.

if it is more important, then you need to seperate them and not make any "F" alternate and have each single house to have their own single icon on the toolbar :)

Maldrick

Quote from: RedKetchup on January 23, 2018, 03:38:54 PM
Quote from: Maldrick on January 23, 2018, 03:23:41 PM

the footprint texture is a transparent background .png on which you draw and paint some ground texture on it. it needs to respect the size of 64,128,256,512,1024... digits.
i use a totally free painting program called Gimp 2.0 and i made myself a special brush made from a screenshot of the storeyard ground and i just "paint" the zones i need to put some ground.

Very cool...I use Gimp also and I'll plug in your brush for sure.  Thank you very much.

I'm still not entirely sure what they are used for. lol  The tutorial didn't go over that and it still works?

Also, question...After I create a footprint, where does the png go and which file calls it?  I'll have to set that.