News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Frenchman's Bend: trying for a soft landing

Started by irrelevant, November 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnogard

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your results. :)

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on November 11, 2014, 05:21:36 PM
Just can't stop!
. . . .

I will not add new mods.
I will not add new mods.
I will not add new mods.
I will not add new mods.
I will not upgrade existing mods.

I'm pretty sure there's a 12-Step group for the adding/upgrading mods addiction. "I am powerless over mods and they have crashed my town."

;D

salamander

Quote from: irrelevant on November 11, 2014, 07:03:54 PM
@salamander everyone's good at something that somebody else wants, it seems  ;) Got any tips?
Yeah, but you might not like it ... just play stupid like I normally seem to.  ;)

irrelevant

So I haven't played with disasters on since my first town, and it occurs to me, I haven't the slightest clue regarding well placement. How many will I need, how far apart should they be? I'm pretty sure I don't need them near rivers, lakes, or streams, but how near is "near?"

And now, considering for the first time fighting fires, I can imagine the usefulness of a stone road.

irrelevant

Year 5

Production from year 4

Built another forester, to the south, and a TP, and a well.

irrelevant

Year 6

Year 5 production. Got hammered by an early frost; still two years' worth of food in storage.

Built a cherry orchard and the usual two houses. This year, a tavern. Going to make ale from berries until they're gone, and then from ale (yes, at a loss, I have plenty of wheat), just to have goods for trade.

irrelevant

The first merchant is always exciting! But I don't really need any pies. Maybe I should buy some, just for my guys.

Nah. :D

But I will place some orders.

Town Hall's up.

irrelevant

Year 7

Year 6 production

Yeah, making berries and then wheat into ale really ate into the food supply, but I had food to burn (he said, looking around for the tornado). There is a place for the inefficient ale production, and this is it.

Built another wheat farm, unconventional in size and shape (24x6, 144 tiles, 1 farmer until harvest), just to see what happens.

Mahnogard

Ha! On my new town, the first boat was also the GG merchant, with pies, cheese, and something else that I don't remember. "Luxury foods" that we couldn't afford. I promised my Bannies that if they just hung on for another 10 years or so, we'd be able to make our own. I ordered some logs. I'm trying to avoid going across the river for resources until I'm actually ready to expand over there.  I'm playing on a small map for a change, and I'm in year 7, I think. Just built my Town Hall, too.

Unlike you, no disasters. I was going to but forgot and didn't feel like starting over because I was already a few years in before I realized I had wanted to turn them on this time.

irrelevant

GG merchant is the best. I ordered cherries, stone, and wool.

Small maps are fun! I like to do large though, just in case I need to keep going  ;)

This time I made a point of disasters on, just because  ;)

Going to be awhile before I cross the river I think, unless I need to do it to get stone.

irrelevant

Year 8

Year 7 production

The odd wheat farm paid off. One farmer until harvest started, then I added a second farmer to each field. As each field finished, I threw those farmers onto the other fields. When the fields were all done, they became gatherers (built a second gatherer hut in the fall). This kind of micro only works for the first 20 years or so, then you get too busy, but it really is worth it.

Putting another forester out there in the river bend, because he will harvest the surface stone as he's planting trees (4 set to cut and plant).

irrelevant

Year 9

Year 8 production - orchard, farms, gatherers, hunters, foresters, herbalists all working together. There's a place for foresters and gatherers, and that place is not anywhere you are trying for 5000 pop (they take up too much space, seems obvious, guess it isn't). Their place is here, where rapid pop growth (requiring equally rapid geographic expansion) is not an objective.

Food production still is 4 gatherers at each hut until harvest, then 6 workers move to farms and the orchard. I used 5 farmers to harvest the orchard; this was its first year so I'm not sure if that was enough labor, but that's a buncha cherries!

Still building two houses per year. The current plan is to continue at this rate until I get old age deaths, then I'll see.

irrelevant

Just tried an experiment with farm planting. I started my 3 farms out with a single farmer in early spring as usual, then partway through planting I added a second farmer to see if that sped up the planting process.

To my surprise it did not. The additional farmers just followed along behind the original ones, going over area that already had been done.

So my strong suspicion is, if you are at a point where micromanaging farms makes sense for you, there is no point in having more than a single farmer per field until the harvest begins.

irrelevant

Later Spring 12

Hoping for a shipment of honey for pies, or for a boatload of cattle.

irrelevant

Sure hope I don't get tornadoed. Probly time to set up shop across the river for insurance.

Insurance =/= guarantee.