News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Inspiration from Cities Skylines

Started by elemental, May 20, 2017, 04:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elemental

I found this the other day. I know CS and Banished are very different games but I though I'd share anyway.

https://youtu.be/Pns9TKN8v94

It's a speed build with a tour at the end. Skip ahead to 14.50 if you just want the tour.

It would be so great if it was possible to build a town centre in Banished that looked something like this. It's not the style of the buildings that I like specifically (although they do look nice, perhaps a little too modern for Banished, or perhaps not...) it's the weird angles and the way the buildings all fit together to form little clusters. A broken grid. That tower is absolutely beautiful, too.

Yes, it would be hard to do in Banished, but not impossible. This isn't a mod request, but who knows what it might inspire in our talented modders.  :)

elemental

A few pics from the video. Obviously you get a much better view of it all if you watch the video.

QueryEverything

That's really big!  So much stuff, but it makes so much sense :)
Thanks for the share @elemental and the inspiration :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Karlieb

Oh, yeah... Cities Skylines players are as crazy as we are with adding details and setting 'scenes'. In some screenshots I have to look much more closely to see if it's a real place or the game.

Some thumbnails from some really huge images from this thread: http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/73073-for-sale-twin-lakes-real-estate/

Maldrick

This is awesome.  I've only played Cities briefly...Got totally sucked into Banished when I got it about a month after getting Cities...and have never tried any mods. It never occurred to me that someone might mod it for earlier eras. Definitely going to have to make a point of checking that out.

Those screens are absolutely gorgeous.
"We are the architects of our actions and we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic."
― Ezio Auditore da Firenze

TheOtherMicheal

I've played Cities Skylines, only a small amount compared to Banished (190 hours compared to 990 hours haha) but for a game that does enforce the "level up the town to unlock new buildings etc. etc." concept, I am actually enjoying it a lot more than I do with games that use that particular mechanic.
The only problems I have with Skylines is, first, there is a limit to the number of assets you can add to the game. The assets can be anything, new buildings/vehicles/walls/trees/air conditioning units and so on and there are a lot of them that are for purely decorative effect e.g. fire escape ladders on the side of buildings. The limit is quite large but once you start to add decorative assets, it fills up very quickly.

There's no problem with this at all except for managinq what assets you have installed and active - there's so many of them that it's not as quick to sort as it is for Banished. The second problem is that the more assets you have (and even the number of saved games you have) makes Skylines take a long time to load and I mean a lot longer than Banished takes to load. With Banished I could expect to wander off and make a cup of coffee/tea while I wait for the game to load. With Skylines I usually read a magazine or a book until it loads because it can take from 15 to 20 minutes with all the assets I have installed.

However, if you want to present a certain theme or style, Skylines let you play with so many elements that you don't just "build" a city, you can "craft" it down to the types of trees and shrubs on the map. So for example, you can install an Italian theme and with the right assets have all the police, fire and ambulance vehicles & helicopters the same as used in Italy.
There's a range of mods that let you do things that the game doesn't normally have access to, so decorating is even easier, e.g. placing billboards on rooftops (for Skylines, an "asset" is something added to the game to /decorate/enhance/change the look or to a limited degree, change an aspect of the game e.g. wider roads, but a "mod" is something that changes the core rules of the game e.g. letting you travel in first person mode around the city, unlocking special buildings/new map areas before you meet the requirements).

I still like the game a lot (more than Cities XL which I played constantly until I found Banished), I have found though that I have to be in the right frame of mind to want to play it and you can't think "I'll just play it for 20 minutes", you have to consider spending a few hours on it just to make the wait during load up worth the effort!  ;D

elemental

I never really got into Skylines either. It does look like it has come a long way since release, though. Maybe I'll give it another go in a few years.