News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BETA: MOD: Lake Region terrain type - salamander

Started by salamander, October 19, 2014, 11:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

This mod adds a Lake Region map type to the game.  The general idea is to generate a map with several lakes, which can run together to form some interesting shaped lakes, and surrounded by mostly flat land, with a few scattered hills.  Many of the lakes are interconnected with streams.  The idea is to simulate the lakes region of Minnesota and south-central Canada.

Using a map seed of 1000, the following are large, medium and small maps generated with this mod:

Large Map Size:

Medium Map Size:

Small Map Size:

The .pkm file is attached in zipped form.  I'm adding this as a beta version because I still haven't figured out what each of the map creation parameters does exactly.  Any comments about how the maps generated fit with a Lake Region theme would be appreciated, and would give me something more focused to work toward as far as changing the parameters.

RedKetchup

woah ! it reminds me Quebec Province :)

thanks you :) great work !!!

ps.: do i need to do houses that float on lakes now ? ^^ j/k
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

Looks like Minnesota , too. Do we need houseboats?

salamander

salamander

I got a PM yesterday from someone who had tried a game with this terrain type, and was having an issue with merchants skipping TP's on a lake the river runs through.  I won't say that there's nothing wrong with the mod, but this sounds similar to something discussed a few months ago.  I think it was @RedKetchup who saw the same thing based on location of the TP.  I'd like to look back at those posts to see if anyone had any ideas about why that was happening, but I haven't been able to track the thread down -- the issue may have just been mentioned in passing in a thread with an unrelated title.

Does anyone remember where this was talked about?

salamander

Thanks.  The screenshots look familiar, so this may be the one I was thinking of.  Not sure how I got @RedKetchup in my head as the one who described this, though.  ???

The PM only mentioned the skipping on the lake the main river runs through, so maybe the pathing for the merchant follows the river even though the boat's technically in the lake, or maybe the pathing doesn't like to make sharp turns ... who knows.  I'm hoping the PM sender will post here with some more information.  It would be nice to know what's going on, and if not how to fix it, at least how to avoid it before you spend resources building a TP in a bad spot.

irrelevant

Quote from: salamander on October 21, 2014, 07:57:47 AM
.... or maybe the pathing doesn't like to make sharp turns ...
This is the only thing I can think of that would account for what I experienced with that TP. The boat would have to make a very sharp turn back in the direction it came from.

slink

I thought the problem turned out to be a blockage further upriver, which prevented the trading boats from working downriver but not from animating their way off the map.

irrelevant

Not in the case I posted about. Although a couple of people suggested it at the time, there was no blockage, I checked that thoroughly. There were a number of TPs further downstream, this was the only one that didn't get traders.

rkelly17

My recollection is that both @RedKetchup  and @irrelevant had this problem on different maps but with TPs in a similar location on lakes. I had it myself once, but I didn't try to figure it out, just tore down the TP and moved on. The merchants did go to other TPs on the same lake, so . . . ? There is some weirdness on merchant pathing (I'm thinking of the "Backwards Merchants" maps as well), but it only bites under certain circumstances. I've had merchants plow through mud flats between the river and a lake to serve merchants on the lake and I think I've seen pictures of merchants heading up one of the small creeks to reach a TP on a lake.

RedKetchup

salamander

Quote from: RedKetchup on October 21, 2014, 11:34:21 AM
the 1008 seed large valley is an example
Do you happen to still have that map as a saved game?

RedKetchup

i dont have, but if you put a TP on the lake , the nearest possible of the starting barn, you wont get merchants.

salamander

Thanks.  I'm still hoping the person who let me know of the problem on the Lake Region map will post here.