News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Pirate's Cove - Story 33

Started by Abandoned, September 15, 2018, 05:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This story is a final test and a preview of another new mod by Kid, Old Town Ports & Pirates.  :)  Yes, my long awaited pirates  (Thank you, Kid).  However, I am afraid you will again have to wait a bit for a mods release.  There will be two stories connected with this mod. Pirate's Cove and Riverboat Junction.  I hope you will enjoy my stories while waiting for the mods release. 

This story is the 33rd story in the Smallville Series and it begins in year 62 SVT, the year of the giant frog invasion of Summerset Swamp, story #24 .  This story tells the tale of two of the survivors from the town of Summerset.  The location of Pirate's Cove is on the west edge of that same swamp.  The cove is downriver from Monkstown and upriver to the east of Riverboat Junction. 

Map seed # 178849226     CC Swamp Lake,   Small,   No-Snow,  Disasters Off,  Palm Tree Adam & Eve

Mods enabled and load order:

Starting and Map Changing Mods: Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC Terrains, CC Light Rain, Climate-No Snow, New Roads (Wintin), Palm Tree Start, New Flora with Gatherer

Tweak Mods:  Better Fields, Fishing Dock 25%, Hunting & Gathering, Hunting Season, Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative,  Rock Respawn, Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Nomad Sign Complete, Kid More Houses Vanilla, Kid Old Town, Kid Old Town Ports & Pirates, Kid Tiny

Supporting Mods:   Idle Small Fishermans Dock, Kid Gothic Farm, Kid Old Fence, Kid Swamp Houses, RK Ducks as Livestock, RK Pigs as Livestock, Smuggler's Cave, Storage Crates, Tropical Greenhouse, Water and Other Decorations

Yes, weary traveler, I am one of the few who escaped Summerset unharmed, although I do suffer from ranidaphobia, the fear of frogs.  Not to be confused with bufonophobia, the fear of toads.  At least I no longer awake screaming in the night from dreams of giant frogs.  That day of the frog invasion was a nightmare.  I would not have survived at all had it not been for the river boatman.

kid1293

We are all benched for this. This will be fun.

Hi ho and a bottle of rum... :)

Goblin Girl

Abandoned

:)  I knew I would not be the only one  :) 

Goblin Girl

I'm confused about mods though.  Does Kid have both Old Town (which includes new vanilla houses) and an additional mod called More Vanilla Houses?  Because I can't find a mod by that name.

Abandoned

yes, Old Town is vanilla set.  There is also Kid More Houses that he retextured to match vanilla wood/thatch and stone/slate

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2582.0

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

@RedKetchup I thought Red Rock Resort went rather well despite bit of struggle with resources.  The goal for that story was completed.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 1

We were all eager that spring day back in Summerset to discover what the swamp thing was that we had cornered northwest of town.  It was a giant mother frog, harmless we thought.  The other frogs were not.  I can't tell you what caused the frog uprising, it may have been other mother frogs coming to seek revenge for what was done to their offspring or it may have been mother frog's offspring coming to her defense.  I don't know.  All I know is we headed back to town and suddenly there were giant frogs everywhere.

Like everyone else, I ran.  I just made it across the creek bridge only to find more frogs coming from that direct.  I was left with only 1 option, the houseboat on shore.  I ran for it, grabbed the mooring rope, and gave the boat a mighty shove as I jump aboard falling to the deck in the process.  The river current caught hold of the houseboat and carried me downriver.  The sights and sounds from shore were horrific, hundreds of croaking frogs and the yelling and screaming of fleeing citizens as they were caught and pulled limb from limb.  I saw the river boatman docked at the trading post, he was fighting off 2 giant frogs with his oars.  I was approaching the river bridge and to my horror it was covered with giant frogs.  Several frogs jumped into the water around me and one landed on the houseboat roof rocking the boat precariously.  I though I was done for when I heard a voice yell "jump". 

It was the river boatman come to my rescue.  I did not hesitate for a moment, I trusted him to catch me as I took a flying leap off the houseboat and into his outstretched arms.  We fell to the floor of the riverboat with a momentary laugh of relief. He was quickly on his feet steering us away from further danger.  I fell asleep from sheer exhaustion when darkness fell but awoke screaming from a dream of a giant frog on the roof.  He was right there to take me in his arms to calm my fears.  He said he would build me a house so big I would not have to be afraid of anything up on the roof.

And true to his work, he did just that.

Goblin Girl

Quote from: Abandoned on September 15, 2018, 07:52:27 AM
yes, Old Town is vanilla set.  There is also Kid More Houses that he retextured to match vanilla wood/thatch and stone/slate

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2582.0
Oh my gosh I don't know how I missed this!  These are wonderful.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

My name is, Jacalynn and my husband is Kylandro.  He was the river boatman who rescued me.  The swamp was full of rivers, streams, and lakes but he seemed to know where he was going even in the dark.  He rowed the boat to shore just before dawn and said we should get some sleep, we'd have a busy day ahead of us.

It was not as swampy here, the ground was firmer and there were less moss and bugs.  There were no frogs.  We had a boat full of supplies but we would need wood and stone for building and more to eat than just the apples that we had.  Kylandro did some hunting while I gathered wild foods.  He set up a stockpile and we would build a storage shed.  We would sleep on the boat until we built a house.  There was a lot of work for the two of us to do and I wish I could have been more help but, as time went on, I did not feel very good, and I was tired all the time.  We at first feared some swamp fever but quickly ruled that out.  Kylandro thought it was shock, a delayed reaction to the Summerset nightmare.  I still occasionally woke up screaming.  By the end of summer, he built me the big house he promised me.  By winter our son, Brette, was born.

At the beginning of year 2, I had more time to take in our location and surroundings.  Kylandro was familiar with the area, this cove was downriver from Monkstown and Haunted Hollow which I knew from tales told were places known for pirates.  He said ships trying to outrun the pirates sometimes sailed into this cove and because of the tricky round-about turn often ended up shipwrecked on the far shore of the lake.  There was an overturned ship there now and probably a few shipwreck survivors trying to set up a small village while waiting for rescue.  There were probably some goods to be scavenged from the wreck that we could use when our riverboat supplies ran out.  He seemed to be in no hurry to return the riverboat to Riverboat Junction.

When we came down the small stream from Summerset in the dark, I did not notice the cave not far from where our house now stood.  Nothing to be concerned about, Kylandro said, there were many Smuggler's Caves throughout this area.  They made good storage places, especially for alcohol.  Whenever I voiced my concerns about pirates, he said we were safe here, "don't worry about it".

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

;D ah ha, he's a pirate?  ;D

Chapter 3

But I did worry about it, and I was worried there were things he was not telling me.  Like why we needed a wood shop with a lathe to carve peg legs.  Yes, peg legs like pirates use!  Was he planning on trading with pirates?  We would only have needed a chopping block for firewood.  And then he built a smith, there were only 2 of us, how many tools did we need?  I had a lot of questions.

And then in spring of year 3, I got some answers, but not the ones I wanted to hear.  I was out collecting wild foods when I saw it, a pirate ship flying the jolly roger flag.  It had just entered the inlet to the cove.  I dropped my basket and ran to tell Kylando.  He just looked at me as if not knowing what to say.  I said "didn't you hear me, there's a pirate ship coming into the cove".  He said yes he heard me, it was his ship.

I couldn't believe it.  The man I had been living with, the man whose son I bore, the man whose 2nd child I would soon have, was a pirate.  Yes, a pirate!   The river boatman who saved my life was a pirate!  He wasn't just a river boatman, he was a pirate!  And not just any pirate, he was a pirate captain.  It was his ship!

I was in shock as I watched the pirate ship anchor just off shore. Most of the crew would remain aboard. Only one couple came ashore, it was bad luck to have a woman onboard ship. The man had a peg leg which made it difficult to remain aboard ship. The couple built a house for themselves and one for their adult son.  A short jetty was built so the cargo could be unloaded from the hold of the ship.  It was a magnificent ship, but it was a pirate ship, a booty ship with ill-gotten goods.

The first watchtower was built not far from the ship and a pirate's headquarter was built by our mansion.  Without a doubt, this was now Pirate's Cove, and we were pirates.

Gatherer

Quote from: Abandoned on September 18, 2018, 07:35:56 AM
  I couldn't believe it.  The man I had been living with, the man whose son I bore, the man whose 2nd child I would soon have, was a pirate.  Yes, a pirate!   The river boatman who saved my life was a pirate!  He wasn't just a river boatman, he was a pirate!  And not just any pirate, he was a pirate captain.  It was his ship!

I knew it!!!

Quote from: Abandoned on September 18, 2018, 07:35:56 AM
Only one couple came ashore, it was bad luck to have a woman onboard ship

Of course. Why would that be any different than on dry land. :P

Nice story so far. ;)
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

:) yes you were right @Gatherer , but not just any pirate ;D

woman bad luck on land and aboard ship  ;D cute  ;D  Glad you like the story  :)