News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Lower the river!!

Started by twilightbreeze, July 08, 2017, 10:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilightbreeze

I know this has been discussed already here and there, but I thought I'd make it official (unless it already has?) and ask here.

Any way to LOWER ground instead of raise it? The Flatten Tool is great for hills and such, but when using on a river it raises the ground, and no more river/lake, etc.

How about the ability to make a lake or river? Lowering to the ground water so to speak.

Anyway, just thought I'd put it out there. Thanks!!! :)
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

brads3

yes,there are 2 mods that do lower the ground.terra form mod is 1. NECORA'S maritime riffle mod is the newest and does add water for making your own lakes or ponds.

elemental

Unfortunately you can't make lakes or rivers with the terraform mod because there is no water texture underneath the land. The water texture you see in game stops under the riverbank. You can dig a deep hole with terraform but you just get what look like an empty void. It is a handy tool though. You can find it in Kralyerg's cave.

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/files/file/32-terraform/

embx61

RedKetchup access the water texture in his Canals Mod.

You have to dig pretty deep though like Z -2.0 I think to access that blue water plane.

I think Luke did a water texture under the whole map as he do not know where his map generator is creating streams, lakes, and rivers for every map.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

elemental

Sadly the reflective, moving water layer isn't under the whole map. If you use the terraform tool on a riverbank you can quickly find where those water tiles end. You can see an example of this on the pics on Kral's terraform mod page.

The dark blue stuff that is underneath everything is something else. I don't know what that does, but it doesn't give the moving water appearance by itself. You need a plane on top to give the appearance of moving water that reflects sunlight. Terraform tool doesn't provide that moving layer, or at least not yet.

embx61

Okay, I stand corrected :)

But as far as I know Red Ketchup is not using a water texture for his Canals so he must obtain it from the map somehow.

He only using a moving water material plane and his water looks a lot like the one in the game from the rivers.

Maybe Red knows. :)

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

i effectively only use a reflective moving water plane, the dark blue is created automatically by the game asap you dig enough deep into the ground
if you dont dig enough, you will get the "creek" effects.

i think it would be faisable to create a new starting condition asking the game to put giant water planes at -0.74 (one 0.01 ontop the game one) and do exactly like the 6 housing and barns in easy condition, you place giant 100x100 tiles at certain coords to cover the map. and then you give a "dig hole" tool to people and asap they dig everywhere, you will get flooded by the all the 100x100 water planes that cover the map ^^

the only thing though that is very bad.... the flow will be in 1 direction on all over the map, and not zigzag'ing like the big main river. (<= which is a huge visual bug)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

elemental

Instead of one huge water material plane covering the whole map, what about a set of ghost water planes in a few different sizes? Then you could pick which direction the water flows in.

RedKetchup

Quote from: elemental on July 09, 2017, 03:28:11 AM
Instead of one huge water material plane covering the whole map, what about a set of ghost water planes in a few different sizes? Then you could pick which direction the water flows in.

but the flows (like in corner canals or 3way/4ways, cannot be turned and change direction as easy as it can be seemed

elemental

But at least that way the player can pick from 4 different flow directions instead of just one.

There is also the lake material which doesn't have a flow direction. A good choice for ponds.

ancientmuse

That's always been one of my big wishes for Luke with his game updates.

I keep hoping he will add in a proper terraforming tool so that we can raise, lower, level, add water, paint different textures,  etc etc.... like how other games such as Rollercoaster Tycoon does.

Being able to alter the terrain to our hearts desire....

That would be bloody awesome !

RedKetchup

elemental

It certainly would be great. Terraform tool is helpful, but it's clunky. You get very sharp edges with it and they don't look very natural. It's still better than nothing though, and it's definitely on my must-have mod list.